iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SKILSAW 16" Sasquatch worm drive feedback?

Started by AMB30518, March 08, 2019, 12:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMB30518

Hello everyone. I've been away from the site for 6-7 years other than dropping occasionally.
I plan to build a retirement timberframe cabin next year, since I recently retired.

Can anyone give feedback on the SKILSAW 16" Beam saw?
I'm considering getting one. 
I have an older Makita 16" but not crazy about the base on it, although it does ok for non critical cuts. I just ordered a new Diablo blade for it..

I'd appreciate any feedback. 
Thanks 
Aaron
I did some chainsaw milling, learning sketchup & timber framing for home projects but not an expert..... I learn as I go and go as I learn.

Aaron

Tom King

I don't know anything about the Skil, but I put an Oshlun blade on the Makita, that I've had for over thirty years, and it's the best cutting blade that's ever been on it.

flyingparks

Seems the big timber framing outfits are giving the Skil very positive reviews. I have not used one, but I agree that the Makita base seems a little dinky sometimes. That being said, I always check the saw before a critical cut and have had good luck with that. If you get one please leet us know how it performs.

hrees

My dad and I got one last year for a timber frame lumber drying shed we are building. Very heavy duty, the base is magnesium, and motor is very powerful. Also comes with a nice plastic base that it sits and latches into so you can easily store it. Cuts through 6x6 beams with ease and square every time. Haven't used it to cut anything bigger but I would assume it would have no problem as the cut capacity is 6-1/4". We have also used it to square up some 4 inch thick cherry slabs roughly 7 feet long to be used for fireplace mantles. I love it and have no problem recommending it if you have and are willing to spend the money on one. It's actually cheaper than the Makita at the moment as well.

TimFromNB

Actually ordered one this week - it was priced down slightly on amazon.ca. Should be getting it tomorrow. I've been watching the price since September and it was at its lowest since. The 10 1/4" is also about $160 cheaper than it has been for the longest time...even cheaper than on amazon.com with the exchange rate. 

AMB30518

I appreciate all the feedback! 
I put the new Diablo blade on the old Makita today after seeing the loose screw for the guard cushion, which was under the blade.
Sure cuts better now and I double checked the 90% to the narrow base.

Tom, I may try the Oshlun for my next new blade.

Flyingsparks, will do. 

Hrees, thanks for your review and feedback! 

TimFromNB, did you get your 16" SKILSAW yet and try it out?

I'm thinking about ordering it in a couple of days.
Thanks again for the feedback everyone .... 
Aaron 
I did some chainsaw milling, learning sketchup & timber framing for home projects but not an expert..... I learn as I go and go as I learn.

Aaron

TimFromNB

I received it and tried a few cuts. Cuts mostly square but it's a big saw to handle. I am seeing improvements in my cuts as I get used to it. I will most likely stay away from the line 1/16th then clean it up with a chisel. I think it will be quite useful in the long run.

carhartted

What Diablo blade did you put on your Makita?  I need a new blade and can't decide on the tooth count.
Here's to making sawdust.

Tom King

I cut the compound angle cuts on the bottoms of these 4x6 legs with the Oshlun blade on my old Makita 16-5/16" saw, cut to the line.  Not only did the angles come out perfectly, but the faces of the cuts were as smooth as if they had been cut with a top quality blade on one of my large, stationary tools.  That saw had never made the first cut as good as any of these in the 35 years, or so that I have owned it.  The 6x6's were cut with it too, and those cuts equally as impressive.

This is a 1798 house that needed replacement parts to termite eaten sills, and needs a new stone foundation.  This back of the house was collasping, and in the process or repairing the sills, we needed something to hold it at the proper level, and still leave room to work for the new foundation.

AMB30518

Quote from: carhartted on March 22, 2019, 11:30:24 PM
What Diablo blade did you put on your Makita?  I need a new blade and can't decide on the tooth count.
I bought the Diablo 32 tooth blade. It cuts good.
I tried a 64 tooth blade 7-8 years ago, finer entry and exit but slower cutting. 
The old Makita seemed to struggle with the 64 tooth too. 

I received the SKILSAW Sawsquatch today and hope to try it out in a few days. 
I'll let y'all know what I think after using it a few times. 
Might even try the 64 tooth on it. 

Aaron

carhartted

That's the information I was looking for. Thanks.
Here's to making sawdust.

Florida boy

Just bumping this to the top to see if anyone else can chime in . Been looking hard at the new sasquatch any one else using one?

bfpipher

These saws are fantastic. Cut square and have good power. Would highly recommend!

Thank You Sponsors!