iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

brick siding

Started by Alexis, March 28, 2008, 12:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis

Hello, I have a question concerning every finishing system that you put on the outside of your frame. Is it possible to have brick or stone siding. I know that the brick need to rest on the foundation but since you already have your frame, and your sips on the outside is it possible to put brick siding? If the foundation need to be 20" wide, it would be incredibly costly to but and not reasonable...

Thanks for your info

Alexis

Furby

Well, I'm not exactly answering your question because I know much about it.
However, I came across a product last week that would work great for the application you are talking about.
It's about 1/8" thick flexible brick veneer.
Flexi-Brick Link

It is not sutible for "sheet wood" applications on the exterior though, so you need to use a different kind of sheathing or an underlayment.
Just thought I'd mention it.

Don P

That's where the pilasters under the posts and move the wall out to the sips and brick ledge would work. The foundation only needs to be 20 inches thick under the posts.

Alexis

I am thinking of a  timber frame built with a timbered sill... so the foundation needs to be 20" everywhere...

Do the sill needs to be centered on the foundation or can it be offset. Could only 5" of a 8X8 be on the concrete or would this not work?

thanks

Alexis

TW

Brick siding with a two or three inch air gap towards a wooden wall is common in Finland. It has been fashionable for a long time. The foundation protrudes far enough outside the wooden wall to form a shelf for the brick wall to stand on with it's full thickness.

I would not recommend this type of construction  because the brick wall usually cracks over time and there is a huge risk for condensation on the inside of the brick wall, causing rot in the wooden wall. The brick wall with it's huge thermal mass is placed outside the insulation where it does nothing good. It is also difficult to repair.
In fact it seems like a well made wooden board and batten siding will outlast a brick siding with several decades. The oldest brick sidings are from the 1960-ies but they show signs of nearing the end of their lifespan. Wooden sidings from the 1890-ies are common still going strong.
If you want a brick building then build it with brick walls.

I have never built with brick siding myself, but I have seen a lot of them.
The text above is just my own personal opinion.

Thank You Sponsors!