iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Start times

Started by Skeans1, May 09, 2018, 07:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

Curious what time different areas and different start as well as run for hours?

Myself a normal day of mechanical cutting I'll start about 5 under the lights and be done around 5 greasing till 6.
Hand falling is a 6 hour day here which is nice.

Dave Shepard

I'm sort of self-employed,  so I start when I get around to it, and stop when I can't take it anymore.  :D Most loggers, excavation people, landscapers etc., start at 7:00. Some do 4-10's, but not many. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mike_belben

My first alarm is 5:45 to put daughter on the 6:10 bus.  Typically the boy starts whining for food as i walk back in, and that goes until about 10pm.  The middle is just a blur of whatever happens between bed and bed.  
Praise The Lord

barbender

I am an employee, but I'm as close as you can get to being self employed and still working for someone else. I'm a night owl, I usually start around 8:00 in the morning and work as long as I need to, to move the amount of wood I need to. I can usually start when I feel like it and quit when it feel like it, unless I have trucks that might need help, or if I'm loading bunk trailers. Sometimes I start at 7:00, even 5:30 if I gotta get something done, and we work longer hours in the winter. Work 6-7 day weeks in the winter, too.
Too many irons in the fire

Ken

I'm usually on site by 6 unless I worked late the previous night.  My harvester operator normally starts at 4.  I try to help him service mid afternoon and try to get a bit of time on harvester before I go home.  Nearly all industrial operations around here work 24 hours.   Week of days then week of nights for those operators.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

mills

When logging I like to be moving by 6:00. On my day job I'm usually there before 5:30 and even though it doesn't happen often, I try to be out by 3:30. :(

Skeans1

If I get in say a mule train I have to load instead of our driver loading himself they're at the site by 2:30, the guys were telling us if it's a clear cut they have to be at the job by midnight. My question is always why the mills don't open till 6 or 7 am.

gman98

During the summer, we cut 4 12 hour days a week.  Work 5-5.  During the winter we work 5 9 hour days.  I always try to grab a ride into the woods with one of the skidders and be in the woods before daylight.  Start chopping as soon as I can see the tree tops.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

luvmexfood

Few years back some people did a little logging here on the farm. They went in by flashlight to start cutting. They never brought lunch. They were gone by then. 
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

mike_belben

Whats the point in such inconvenient hours?  Starting logging at midnight just sounds dumb to me.  I mean i understand hikin out to a tree stand in the dark, but the trees wont run off over daylight.
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Not if you're doing 50 or so loads a day.

mike_belben

So when do you stop?  
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Normally they'll start loading at midnight to 2pm, shovel log/yard 2/4am till the last load is gone for the day, processor was double shifts from what I saw 20 hours a day.

mike_belben

Ive never been to the PNW, but man there must be a lotta wood. Its hard to imagine there being enough trees to keep that pace forever.  How many acres a day is that?
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Depends on the side or operation they'll clear cut 5 acres tethering, 110 acres will take about 3 weeks if it's already on the ground. There's enough wood here with our rotation cycles at 40 years and our replant laws.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!