iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

added price when cutting from your own logs?

Started by forrestM, June 26, 2018, 09:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestM

Another question here! 

I'm cutting some siding to sell from poplar logs on my own property. What would be a typical price to add (if any)?  and, for that matter, what is the average sawing fee per board foot? I'm in virginia!

Thanks, again! 

WV Sawmiller

Pretty good spread on prices. I'd check local papers and see what others in your area are getting. I don't think I am too far from you. I saw for $.30/bf for their logs or sell my poplar for $.75/bf. Some people here sell or saw for a good bit more but others around me may be sawing and selling for less such as $.25 sawing or $.50 selling their own wood. I'll let mine grow before I will sell for less and let theirs rot before sawing for less.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Its hard to get more than 40cents a foot for poplar here in middle TN most of the year, delivered to mill.  There was one exporter almost 2 hours east of me paying up to 70c/ft for winter cut to go in cans, but thats better than i can get for veneer locally.  
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Mike,

Is that 40 cents for the logs to the mill? I understood the question to be for sawed poplar boards. Do you know what rough sawed poplar is bringing in your area?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

PAmizerman

What I do is find out what the logs would cost me delivered to my site then add my sawing fee on top. 
For example I get hemlock delivered to my site for $250 a thousand. And my sawing fee is $350 a thousand.
So I sell my hemlock for $600 a thousand ($0.60 a bf)
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

alan gage

Quote from: PAmizerman on June 26, 2018, 07:27:51 PM
What I do is find out what the logs would cost me delivered to my site then add my sawing fee on top.
For example I get hemlock delivered to my site for $250 a thousand. And my sawing fee is $350 a thousand.
So I sell my hemlock for $600 a thousand ($0.60 a bf)
I don't saw for a living but do help run a business for a living and I'd want to get some markup on the logs in that situation. Doesn't make sense to go to the trouble of contacting a log buyer, paying for the logs upfront, storing the logs at your place, sorting them when time to saw, and then passing them along at cost to the customer. If the customer wants to do it as cheaply as possible let them buy the logs and bring them in for sawing. If they don't want that hassle they should be paying you extra for doing it.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

mike_belben

Howard, i was saying logs delivered the the mill.  The price sheet quotes 650/th for over 16" veneer poplar but the most i ever got for one was 300/th.

Ive not cut much of it, they dont seem to get too big here.

As for marking up the logs, it depends what the market will bare and how much competition you have.  Too expensive and you wont get orders.
Praise The Lord

WDH

Per the Hardwood Market Report, FAS green poplar, tractor trailer load quantities, F.O.B. sawmill (loaded on truck at sawmill, no freight) is $.85/bf.  That is for 5,000 bf minimum.  That is commercial wholesale.  Can't see why you would sell for a penny less than that.  For local retail sales, less than $.85/bf does not make any sense to me.  I do not sell any lumber of any species for less than $1.00 per bf green, none.  If you have to fell and skid the trees to the sawmill, selling less than commercial wholesale does not seem right to me.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

forrestM

Quote from: WDH on June 27, 2018, 08:18:52 PM
Per the Hardwood Market Report, FAS green poplar, tractor trailer load quantities, F.O.B. sawmill (loaded on truck at sawmill, no freight) is $.85/bf.  That is for 5,000 bf minimum.  That is commercial wholesale.  Can't see why you would sell for a penny less than that.  For local retail sales, less than $.85/bf does not make any sense to me.  I do not sell any lumber of any species for less than $1.00 per bf green, none.  If you have to fell and skid the trees to the sawmill, selling less than commercial wholesale does not seem right to me.
WDH, that is very helpful! where would i find this hardwood market report? how often do they update it? I'm selling small quantities, so no less than a 1.00 / bf seems like a good practice. So -- if i cut a 1"x6"x8' poplar board at a milling rate of .25c /bf (1 dollar fee), I would then add another 1.00/bf (1 dollar) to the price since it came from my own log yard? 
total price being 2.00 per each 1"x6"x8' board?  
Have i got that right?
thanks,
forrest

Ron Wenrich

Since you're looking at the commercial side, FAS is the top grade.  You can't get that price for the lower grades.  A lot depends on usage to determine what grade to send, and the price.

If you're bringing in your own logs, they're worth what it costs you for logs.  If you're buying off a logger at a set price for a species, without any grading, then you won't be getting the logs that are being sold to another mill for a better price.  Your lumber grade yield will be a lot different.  But the price of the logs is already factored into the price of the lumber, not added later.

Pricing of lumber should reflect the quality of the lumber.  We sold low grade lumber for construction use.  We charged a better price than we could get from low grade markets.  If they wanted low grade poplar, we'd charge 50ยข/bf.  If they wanted FAS poplar, we'd charge about 25% above market, for small orders.  Everything was dead green.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

Forrest,

A 1x6x8 poplar board would be 4 bf.  At $1.00 per bf, that would be a $4.00 board.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!