iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I load them while they wait. These are contracted trucks, all of our company trucks have center mount loaders. We do have a crib trailer I've loaded maybe twice, our drivers will hook up to it if they for some reason can't operate their center mount. Anyways, if it's a short skid, it all comes directly out of the woods onto the truck. If it's a long skid, I bring one skid out and load the rest out of the pile. I get a truck loaded in 35-45 minutes, with a load on the machine and the remainder out of the pile (with spruce) It's kind of a pain because you are trying to fit every stick you can to get enough weight on. Also, if I am loading out of the pile, that's time not spent skidding and it does affect the load count at the end of the day.
Too many irons in the fire

M Cook

Mike Cook

1270d

I like watching those whole tree chip jobs run.  What kind of saw heads/skidders are you running?  Was a bit north of you on a GFP chip job a few years ago.  The guy running the buncher there was a pro.

M Cook

We're running a prentice 2670 and a new Cat 573c for bunchers, a Cat 545c, 2 848 JD, 1 660 TH and a new 535d Cats kidder on order.  Our chipper is a Morbark 2755 flailchipharvestor, running next to a prentice 2384 loader with a Hanfab 60 in slasher.  Our chip fans are 6 axle 50 ft, averaging about 37 tons in aspen, we put out 10-12 loads per day. 

Mike Cook
Mike Cook

1270d

You have got to be happy to see off road under 3$

M Cook

1270d

Yes I am, chip operations produce a lot of wood but burn a lot of fuel.  We better enjoy these prices while we can.  I have 2 guys bunching wood, 1 is new the other has been doing it for over 10 years, I keep him in a new machine most weeks he lays down 800-1000 cords of wood, it still amazes me after all these years. 

Merry Christmas,
Mike Cook
Mike Cook

Ron Scott

Mike,

Nice pictures, I see your chip vans on the road quite a bit over this way.
~Ron

thecfarm

I like seeing all the tires under those MI trailers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine logger88

A decent pine I cut yesterday I couldn't get the skidder close enough to push so had to do it the old fashion way
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

1270d

That's a nice white pine.  How did it cut out?

Dave Shepard

Put a stamp on that thing and send it to Alford. :D I cut a bunch of nice looking pine last winter only to find a big hole in that end. :(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Maine logger88

Quote from: 1270d on December 28, 2014, 10:19:00 AM
That's a nice white pine.  How did it cut out?
It only had2 16' logs and a 12' log then about 4 sticks of 8' pulp it got real crooked at 45'

Maine logger88

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 28, 2014, 10:27:27 AM
Put a stamp on that thing and send it to Alford. :D I cut a bunch of nice looking pine last winter only to find a big hole in that end. :(
I would but I couldn't afford that many stamps lol! Yeah it always sucks when there's a hole in the end of a nice looking stick

coxy

at least you have a good saw  :D :D :D  71-72 or 66  nice pine

Maine logger88

It's a 66 that I ground the transfers on its been a good saw I have two just alike time to buy another getting to be that time of year I like to start off winter with at least one new saw

coxy

I have started the winter off with 2 the first one got mushed  :D :D

Maine logger88

O really that always sucks. What did you get 66s?

Ed_K

Ed K

coxy

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Ed_K

It belongs to my boss at the highway garage.He just installed the Tajfun winch this fall.Before it had the winch that came on the front of the duce and half.I'll get a pic of the way he set up the winch when it warms a little.
Ed K

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

brendonv

Thats a fail. Uploaded private some how dont know how to change it on ipad.

Edit. Figured it out
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

longtime lurker

Grabbed a few pics (mobile phone so please forgive the quality) on the last load out for 2014.

First we get to leave home:

thats the front "lawn" at home so it can be difficult at times, depending on how the fish are biting.

Then we drive up the mountain:

The road is barely wide enough for two cars to pass each other. Make one a truck and it can be a case of slow down and creep past each other or at times someone gets to back up to a wide spot. Going up isn't such a problem but coming down can be a bit "intesting" at times, and downright terrifying at others. Running the jinker with full length logs we put a pilot vehicle out front for the 15 odd miles of the range road proper. Today we's only on clean up duty - shorts and the last few full logs that it wasn't worth sending a tractor trailer rig up for.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

longtime lurker

The current block is a mix of "eucalypts". There's rose gum, red mahogany, Turpentine, and Bloodwood in this block. The harvest zone has around 4000 acres of workable ground and we'll take off somewhere around 3000 tonnes of sawlog over the next few years. The plan is to utilise this block for our annual "wet season" logs - we get rain like Alaska gets snow, and what logs we have in the mill yard at the end of December usually have to carry us through to early May.

This block was last cut about 40 or so years back so what we're getting is a mix of regrowth and larger logs that were deliberately left last time. In turn we leave a % of the larger timber for the next crew - the aim of this is to harvest on a 40 year cycle and have a mix of log sizes. What doesnt really show in this picture is the length of them - a lot of those logs will give 2 "tree length" logs at 45 foot each. 90' to the first branch isn't uncommon in a rose gum block. We don't take anyhting under 18" dbh as a general rule, and a fair percentage of these will be hitting 36" dbh.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!