iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ERC Saw Log Question UPDATED TODAY/PICS

Started by 123maxbars, April 27, 2012, 09:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Then again, we usually measure the bfage from the top end, which *might* not be too octopied. My main question would be whether the wood from them would be prone to excessive warping, splitting, etc.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

OK, I guess that the little end would be smaller that the "inside the flute" measurement.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CLL

I used to cut cedar fencing only, 1x6. I loved 8 and 10 inch logs just square and saw boards. Logs was 12-4 long and made  two 1x6x6, bought logs for 25-35 a foot and sold it for 85. Loved it
Too much work-not enough pay.

Cedarman

Cedar is not prone to warping, bowing, twisting, shrinking, swelling etc.  It normally just lays there.  Every once in a while you get a log whose boards can do tricks, but rare. 
Ingrown tends to disappear in the first foot.  It is kind of like a knot in FAS lumber.  Depends on where it is and how much.
If you deduct much on cedar logs, the logger heads to the competitor's mill.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Larry

Today's delivery.

Seven logs, sized from 7" to 15" and 271 bf on the cedar scale (they had one off before I got the camera).  You think your Tennessee logger will bring me a load?  They grow cheaper over your way. :o

A little cedar story.  I saved edge trimmings from making blanks for T&G last winter.  Sold some for kindling, but gave away most.  One of my friends came back yesterday and requested more.  He does landscaping and figured out how to make the scraps into a rose trellis.  He got a good response and says he can make money.  But now he is getting picky and wants the scraps all sawed 1/4" by 1 1/2" without too many knots.  Wonder how much I should charge per/bf for this job? :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Okrafarmer

Nice logs, Larry. I wish they grew that big on a regular basis around here.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

fat olde elf

Listen closely to Cedarman.  He knows ERC.  I am always looking for those "flutes" which contain some wild grain patterns. I carve a signifigant volume of plaques and signs and the grain swirls add to them. I also crank out cedar trellises(m0stly 4 feet by 4 feet) which is really a "value added" deal as I utilize narrow stuff.  I also have turned out 1,800 Christmas ornaments which are a labor of love. I couldn't afford them if I paid myself 25 cents an hour. Say your prayers. MM may hate sweet gum. but I loves ERC...........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Okrafarmer

I'm always in favor of wild grain patterns.

Magicman

I will be back in the "pink" tomorrow.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedarman

If you have a loader big enough, have the logger put 2 log chains in the bed of the truck cross ways. Go in with forks under a top log and lift the whole load up and have logger drive out from under the lifted load. 
A few logs can be unloaded first if total load is too big.
Keeps from having a pile of pickup sticks when hand unloaded.
We can carry a big load to the log pile and then pull the chains out with the loader.
Remember to leave a good gap in the chains as they will severly tighten when you set the load down.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!