iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can I fix this forever??

Started by 3Dog, December 18, 2011, 06:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3Dog

I there a way to fix those darn "fingers" on the hydraulics of a WM?  Two times in the last week I had to open up the console and reset those things to get them to work.  The first time it was a toe board then today it was the in/out function of the clamp.  When I adjust them I tighten the set screw until I think the allen wrench will twist off. Now normally I wouldnt grumble too much but I got all wet kneeling down in the mud and melting snow today to make the fix.  I admit it isnt too difficult but when a customer is "waiting" and the sun is going down, I am less than pleased to have to do it.

My question is first off what the heck?  I have several pieces of equipment with hydraulics of all sorts.  Most of my stuff is old with several thousand hours of use on them and no "finger" issues with them.  My mill has 600 hours and I have had to fix them 7-10 times at least.  I dont lean on the levers nor do I horse the levers up and down. Why are these so prone to needing adjustment.

Can someone fill me in on a better way to deal with these?  Is their a way to permanently fix these?  I know their are lots of people way more knowledgeable than me.

Thoughts and thanks.

2002 Woodmizer LT40DSuper Remote Accuset 2, 1952 Allis Chalmers CA, 2001 John Deere 240 skidsteer, Nyle L200, Ebac 800,  and a fulltime job.
Citywood Treecycling

T Welsh

I have had to do the same thing! only way I know of solving the problem is to remove the shaft and grind a small flat on the surface where its set screw lands,then reinstall and maybe for added measure put thread locker on set screw before tightening. maybe somebody has other ideas. Tim

Ohio_Bill

3Dog ,  I also have the same problem  . I don't think I go for more than 20 hrs and I have to reset  the setscrews . If someone could  let me know what I'm doing wrong I would like to know.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

WH_Conley

Check to make sure the little lever that contacts the micro switch is not moving a little. I have 4000+ hours on my mill and that is all I ever had to adjust. Have had to do it a couple of times and when I replaced the micro switch.
Bill

MartyParsons

Hello,
    The part # for the screw is 036037  4 x 0.7 x 6DIN913 Hexagon Socket Screw.  Hidroirma is the name of the valve assembly. I checked the part # back to 1999 and the part # is the same I was sure they changed the part to a larger head. The valves were also built with a hardened valve ( micro Pos) about 2004 ( dont hold me to the date) The valve has a steel pin that rides on the valve, the pin comes against the paddle. The issue sometimes is that the pin will wear a grove in the valve, then the company made the end of the valve harder which means the newer mills have less issues. The part # for the spring and the cam on the end of the valve is 036044  Pin Assembly, Micro Postioner w/O-Rin  and the spring 015890. I have not replaced any of these in some time. Usually I see this with mills over 3000 hours. usually the clamp valve. Which valve is more common to need adjustment? I also see the micro switch move down or get smashed because of miss adjustment. Yes they are a pain to replace ( pain to get the nuts on the back). If one valve is not working and if you bump another valve then I adjust the micro switch or replace it. The white button on the micro switch must be sticking up to work correctly.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bandmill Bandit

I have not had a problem, but I have wondered more than once why WM uses that manual hydraulic handle system.

It works ok but it is one thing that I plan to change.

I have identified all the parts I need to completely convert the mill to an electric over hydraulic valve system that eliminates ALL of the linkages. The valve block will take up less room too.

It wont be a cheap Mod but it is on the list and may get done this winter. When done I will have 8 spools operated by 8 self centering toggle switches that will give me control for an in feed deck. AND I wont have to bend over to find the handles. Control box will be removable and will mount in a position that is ergonomic for both standing operation or seated operation from the operators seat.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Ohio_Bill

Thanks to all that have answered . Marty it is the clamp that I have the most problem with .I can get it to work by just moving one of the other valves and it will start and stay running . I have a new switch , so off I go with a allen wrench and I will give it a try .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

3Dog

Thanks Marty and others.

First off, Im glad that Im not alone in this issue.  I will go and keep working as is for now.  I am milling on this site for another 200 logs or so.

My clamp is also the one I usually have issues with.

Thanks again.
2002 Woodmizer LT40DSuper Remote Accuset 2, 1952 Allis Chalmers CA, 2001 John Deere 240 skidsteer, Nyle L200, Ebac 800,  and a fulltime job.
Citywood Treecycling

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This happened to me last Tuesday. I called Michael at WM and he sent me 2 replacement "fingers" with the new allen wrench screws. While I was waiting for my new parts, I took the old finger that I had ruined the threads in and tapped it out for a 1/4" small bolt.

This really works better than the allen wrench screws. Michael told me a lot of sawyers tap theirs out and do what I did.

But I still ordered 2 to put in stock and some other HD parts just to have on hand.

What I ordered was 2 micro switch stylus #015893
2 - Stylus set screws # 036037
1- Assembly, micro positioner pin / o-ring

With shipping it came to $57.67. That ain't bad considering how I felt when I messed the threads up and was unable to use my clamp!  smiley_furious3

Michael at WM was very helpful at telling me the extra stuff to get for an emergency.

Now I'm  8) and sawing again!

P.S. 3 DOG....nothing's fixed forever. If it moves....it wears.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

Since I wore out the first micro switch and replaced it at about 800 hours, I haven't had any of those individual lever adjustment problems.  I know what you mean, I had those problems before I replaced the micro switch.  Much less sensitive to exact positioning with a new micro switch, or maybe  a fresh microswitch position adjustment.   Anyway still a good idea to stock up on a bunch of the little allen wrenches. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!