iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

phoenix / goodwill rebuild

Started by dablack, March 17, 2014, 11:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

Quote from: 21incher on May 02, 2017, 04:54:51 PM
Why not just cut them on the band saw when you go to cut the other arches?  :)

I didn't think a band saw would be able to cut that tight of a curve.  No idea!

Sounds like I won't have to sneak into Den-Den's shop.  He is being kind enough to help me yet again!
Building my own house in East TX

Den-Den

I did not communicate clearly, you are welcome to come over and use my band saw.  It has plenty of capacity for thick material but will not do well on 3" dia curves (especially interior curves).
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

dablack

Yeah, I didn't think a bandsaw could cut that tight.  Those holes will be cut before I head your way.  NOTE:  This is months away.  I still have to do siding most of the way up the house before I get to the "craftsman corbels".

thanks
Austin

21incher

A 2 inch radius on a 3 inch beam should be no problem. I use a 1/4" blade with the guides properly set. I like to cut in several relief cuts so You never have to worry about backing out. The tip of a belt sander will clean them up quickly, or a bit would also work. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

dablack

House is slowly coming along.  I'm finishing up the metal roof on the front porch.  The truck makes a great work platform for porch work. 

Siding isn't too far away now. 

Magicman

You just made me smile this morning my Friend.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den-Den

Treehack

That nice porch would be a motivational inhibitor when it comes to working.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

dablack

Thanks guys.  I did finish 99% of the metal over the weekend.  It isn't 100% because the little drill bit I was using to predrill the metal finally bit the dust.  At that point I was ready to get off the roof!  This coming weekend will be 30 minutes of roof work and then installing two more windows downstairs.  Once the porch went on, the downstairs became VERY dark.  Then I start on downstairs exterior trim.  Once trim is done, siding goes on. 

Austin

78NHTFY

Nice looking place--but why siding?  Here in NH Tyvek is the most common siding we have! :D :D 8).  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

dablack

Well, most of the house wrap will need to be replaced.  It has been the siding since late 2014 so most of it has had as much UV as it can handle.  After I put the porch on, I replaced the house wrap above the porch.  It was the worst!  The front of the house faces south so that side get pounded year round. 

It just makes sense to replace it all.  After windows and before trim, the down stairs will get new house wrap.  I will finish doing siding down stairs and then above the porch.  Then I get to buy some scaffolding and do the 2nd floor.  The east and west 26' long walls will be easy but the ground is uneven on the back of the house (52' long).  Back there will be a little tougher. 

Crusarius

You may be better off renting a man lift. one of the offroad variety. Much nicer work platform.

dablack

I rented a man lift to help with windows and it was NOT happy with me.  The ground slopes away from the house on the west and north and if I didn't have the support arms down and on wood boards, the thing would beep at me the whole time.  Warning beeps for tipping over.  It just wouldn't let me go where I needed to. 
Plus, I'm slow at work.  I'm installing the siding myself because I can't afford a crew.  Renting an off-road man lift for more than a month is probably the same cost as a crew to install the siding.  So, scaffolding will have to work.  I will look at the numbers again after I have done the lower siding but I'm guessing scaffolding will be the most cost effective for how fast (or slow) I work. 

thanks
Austin

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: dablack on June 20, 2017, 03:33:08 PM
  So, scaffolding will have to work.  I will look at the numbers again after I have done the lower siding but I'm guessing scaffolding will be the most cost effective for how fast (or slow) I work. 

thanks
Austin
Especially if you do like I did - I found it free or really cheap on CL!  I have about 120' now and I made some funky 7' tall I frames out of scrap material that give me another 80' or so.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fishfighter

What kind of siding you plan on installing?

dablack

Hardie Plank will be going up. 

Austin

dablack

Hardie Board has been going up now for a couple of weeks.  I've got the 1st floor just about done.  So far so good. 

Since my framing nailer has a depth adjustment, I was able to dial it in for the hardie board.   No need for a siding nailer. 

Austin

Magicman

Thank You Austin for the update.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den-Den

The siding looks really nice, you are doing a good job.  Slow and steady is a winner.

samandothers

Looking good!  Great progress.

dablack

Well, I guess it is time to close the page on this chapter.  Two years ago I started a new job in Waco (2.5 hours west from the house).  The original goal was to finish the house on the weekends and then decide what to do.  Well, after two years, the house isn't finished and it doesn't look like it will be any time soon.   It is perfectly livable and looks great but there is still lots of work to be done inside.   Now that the kids are older, they have lots of activities on the weekends in Waco. For those and many other reasons we have decided to sell our Rusk house.   We found a buyer quickly and we are looking forward to having our weekends back.  My wife and I really enjoyed our house and property and we really feel like the experience the kids had here will benefit them in the future.  Also, I really believe that my experience building my own house helped me get the job I love in Waco.   I will post some pictures of the painted house once I'm back to a computer.  

-Austin

Magicman

Pat and I wish you and your family the very best throughout your life's journey.  It was truly a joy to be able to contribute to that journey during a time when life seemed to be throwing nothing but potholes in your family's future. 

samandothers

Things seem a lot brighter now than they did several years ago before thesawing event.  Congratulations on the new job and your family moving forward!

Thank You Sponsors!