iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A nice yield from an old red oak log.

Started by 123maxbars, June 17, 2017, 09:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

This winter i cleaned up my sawmill area and found a nice big red oak log under neath some rotting firewood. This log is 30in diam and 11ft long. I remember getting this log from an excavation business about 3 years ago. The outside of the log looked just horrible. I almost didn't film this job cause I figured it would be a horrible yield. Yet this log produced some nice slabs with limited defects and some small worm holes for character. The following video shows the days work.

Just to note also I was asked via message on here why I make these videos and do I make them for the $.  I make these videos because I enjoy the process of it and the editing/finished product. Kind of a hobby of mine. And no I do not make them for the $, Youtube doesn't pay very well unless you have a huge following which I do not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq5gejPyNFA&lc=z12bxtojnvr0e3fge04cin2qsky5ctfivjo
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

nativewolf

nice, I guess I'd have used a small chainsaw instead of the axe to take the knot off.  Liked how you flipped to saw around the pith, you do make a good video.
Liking Walnut

dgdrls

Well done smiley_thumbsup  nice discussion on how you approached the cuts and a nice show of the Mills' capabilities

D

123maxbars

Quote from: dgdrls on June 17, 2017, 02:12:36 PM
Well done smiley_thumbsup  nice discussion on how you approached the cuts and a nice show of the Mills' capabilities

D

Thanks I appreciate that comment a lot
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Quote from: nativewolf on June 17, 2017, 11:16:20 AM
nice, I guess I'd have used a small chainsaw instead of the axe to take the knot off.  Liked how you flipped to saw around the pith, you do make a good video.

Sometimes I grab my saw but I am an axe lover. I enjoy swinging one every chance I get. It also helped that the log was pretty soft on the outside!
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Thank You Sponsors!