iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cancer?

Started by maple flats, February 14, 2018, 11:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

2 x cancer survivor here.  Much of it is mental...get through the stages of accept, anger, etc as quick as you can.  My first cancer was at 42, then last year.  I have a genetic disorder so that's how I'll die, I live each day.  No mopping, get up and go as hard as I can and take a nap when I get tired.  I can't do 16 hour days anymore but I can do a good 10 hours. 

I tell you what, when you get to a certain acceptance level sunrise is prettier, friends more special, food taste better. 

Good luck on the surgery!  Seeing by your age that you have reached 71 which is a blessing in itself.  My goal is 70.  If I get to 70 chances are I'll have had testicular, colon, stomach, skin and brain cancer. 
Liking Walnut

catalina

maple flats

Thank you all, I did have my biopsy yesterday, then they said I won't get my results for 6-7 days. I was thinking either the same day or next day. Still waiting.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

samandothers

I know it is though waiting for the word.  Hang in there.

maple flats

I got my results today. It is cancer. I forget which kind but the Dr said it is not an aggressive type and is far easier to get rid of than many. One thing going for me is that it was discovered very early on due to a bout with diverticulitis. When that happened (the second time in about 7-8 years), they confirmed it with a CT scan. They also discovered the cancer, far sooner than it would have otherwise been found.
As of now, I will tentatively have robotic surgery on 4/18. They think I will lose20-25% of my left kidney, but don't rule out losing it all if needed when they get in there. 2 Drs will do the surgery, one has done about 250 such surgeries, the other has done over 1500.
It turns out that the timing is working out pretty good too. My maple season has just begun and it generally is over sometime between 4/1 and 4/12. I will be able to make syrup.
I had made arrangements to have another producer boil my sap, now I won't need that.
Then after the surgery, past thew 6 week take it easy period my wife and I can still go on our Alaskan cruise in June. The Dr. says that should be no problem.
Even with cancer, things are looking up.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

tawilson

Sounds like you are in good hands. Good luck. 
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Sounds like GOOD bad news. Nobody wants to have cancer but you're in a lot better circumstance than many who have it.

Still sending prayers for the Lord to guide the medical team and give them the skill and wisdom to do everything that needs to be done to hasten your full recovery.

Herb

Magicman

My Prayer is for Healing Grace.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You can whip it Maple. Prayers for ya. 
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Runningalucas

Glad to hear you're okay.  I personally cannot stand doctors.  My mom died of a crappy antibiotic(SJ syndrome reaction), and my father has been terminal with cancer for the last 2 years, and is 'okay'.  With my father, they gave him 2 weeks to 1 year, here we sit a year past that, and don't really think much about it anymore; as he's healthier now, than when diagnosed via tumor removal. 

Life's a crap shoot, enjoy every moment, and every day, as it can be taken in an instant.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Stuart Caruk

Dave,

Best of luck to ya! Having been through this, I can say that kidney cancer is one of the better ones to get. In most cases they can completely remove the tumors, and you may not even have to do the Chemo route. I was told I'd never make it out of 2004. Turns out I was misdiagnosed since I was still alive and kicking when They found a large tumor on my right kidney, a couple on the left and a couple more on my diapragm. 14 hours of surgery later and several biopsies they had it all. 

I survived with 24% of a normal persons kidney function for darned near 10 years. You're not going to love it, but a good renal diet that can be found on Davita.com kept me from deteriorating for those 10 years. Then my kidney crapped out, taking out my liver with it. A new pair of organs and a year out of transplant I'm still kicking.

Keep a positive mental attitude. Don't listen to those who tell you you can't do anything you want, and keep kicking. You'll beat this. 
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Thank You Sponsors!