iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Acer Palmatun -- Osakazuki vs Shindeshojo

Started by The Pan, July 06, 2011, 04:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Pan

Hey all.  I've chanced into ownership of a small lot in the North Georgia Piedmont which boasts a small number of mature Japanese maples.  As a grower, my first thought was that this small number represents 300,000+ viable seeds per season, and we all know the commercial value of Japanese maples.  So I set out to identify the species, and now have the This or That dilemma on my hands.

By most photographic accounts these trees may be either Osakazuki or Shindeshojo.  Although I an leaning towards Osakazuki, I am still uncertain, and I don't believe I should sell a thing if I don't know what it is (I've met many growers that do this, they suck).  Does anyone know a really good link for this sort of thing?  Thanks.

Tom

I know that some trees require laboratory testing to define their identification.  State Universities usually have a Botany or Forestry Department that will do it. 

Forest Products Laboratory
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726
Phone: (608) 231-9200

Will identify wood as well.

I don't have an answer myself.

Welcome to The Forestry Forum. :)

SwampDonkey

I'd have no idea on foreign trees except Norway Maple, and Scots pine.

What makes them valueable? It is because of a it's value as a yard tree or the wood? I've not heard of any foreign species (grown here) being of much value unless your the guy growing trees for landscaping. Then a $3 sapling becomes about $60 bucks, and I have to do the planting. :D

Sure, some tropical hardwoods are quite valuable, but they aren't growing them here. ;)

Welcome to the forum though. Feel free to post a picture.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

The Pan

Oh, typo.  Thats Palmatum not Palmatun.

Thanks Tom.  I continued looking and have finally decided (based on a few text descriptions) that I have Osakazukis here.  I don't even have to grow these to make money, the going rate here is almost $1/seed. 

Donkey, you're so close to the American East I can't believe you don't know this.  Anyway; Japanese maple is one of the most sought and highest priced ornamentals in America. 

:)  <-- BTW, this smiley is creepy evil.

SwampDonkey

It's all about location I guess. ;)

I'm not a horticulturist. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!