iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best window hieght reccommendations?

Started by Thehardway, June 23, 2007, 09:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thehardway

I'm ready to place my windows the question is what is the "standard" window height and is there any reasons for using different window heights?  I have measured windows in homes ranging from 26" AFF to 38" AFF.

My windows are 24"W X48"H.  The wall height at the eave in the Living area is 10' and in the bedroom/bath is 9'.  I have plenty of room to move them up, just don't know all the pros and cons of window placement.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Radar67

In standard stick frame construction, the normal window height is 80 inches from the floor to the top of the window. This is suppose to keep average size windows at a height you can see out of. Hope this helps.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Thehardway

Wow, that was quick and makes sense, never thought about referencing the top rather than bottom.  Thanks!!
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

scgargoyle

I've read and re-read Christopher Alexander's 'A Pattern Language', and although I think some of the ideas are wacky, there are some interesting points about windows. For a window that you will sit by, with a nice view, it is recommended to be only 12-14" off the floor! I never really though about it until I read the book, but in our current house, you can't see much of anything unless you stand up to look out. I've only been in one house with very low windows like that, and I really liked it, although at the time I didn't know why. It has something to do with being connected to the outdoors. Of course, the top of the windows should be at least 80", so we're talking some pretty tall windows here. Obviously, you wouldn't want windows like that in a room needing privacy, or if the view immediately outside the window wasn't very nice. I plan to incorporate windows like that in our next house, which will be out in the woods of SC. One caveate- apparently some building codes require shatter-proof glazing if the windows are below a certain height.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

petehalsted

I can give you one word of warning on windows that close to the floor. We have windows are just a few inches off the floor (very tall windows). We used to have a miniture doberman that loved to bark at anything that moved out side and with the low windows he was able to actually see and bark at everything! (Leaves, birds, shadows, wind, you get the picture) and because the windows were so low it was always messing up the wife's fancy curtains/drapes.

I love the full lenght windows but wife says we will not have them if we build again, between the dog and her curtains having to be nearly on the floor (vacum graps them, chairs in the dining room grap them,etc) she hates them.

Thomas-in-Kentucky

Architecturally (aesthetically?), I think people also choose 80" so the tops of the windows line up with the tops of the 6'8" doors.  There is something to be said for putting the bottoms of the windows a little lower in a room where you'll be seated (dining room) and higher in a room where you'll be standing (kitchen, hallyway).  I guess both goals can be accomplished using tall and short windows, while keeping the tops at 80".  I broke the 80" rule here and there.  For second floor kids rooms, I held the bottoms of the windows up a bit - to keep them from accidentally falling through screens while wrestling around.  Definitely go with smaller (narrower?) windows on the west side of your house, if you live in a climate where air conditioning is synonymous with life-support in the summer.  :)  Codes (and good-sense, which miraculously overlap in this case) say to keep operable windows in bedrooms big enough to allow for escape from a fire.

SCgargoyle is right about something else too - my sister in Dayton had an unpleasant surprise when the building inspector informed her that the windows she bought and installed were not adequate because they were too close to the floor and were not safety-glass.  I think she had to replace the glass or buy new windows.  I know she wasn't happy.   :(  Glad those codes aren't here yet, or I'd be replacing glass too.  ;)

thecfarm

Our windows are about 56" long,2' off the floor and a foot from the top of the ceiling.We can sit on the couch and still see out the windows from about 20 feet away.The 80"rule is in our house.We have a long driveway and live out in the woods,no curtains here,except in the bedroom and bathroom.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

Other hazerdous locations requiring tempered glass;
Any door
Within 60 inches of the floor of a tub or shower or enclosure or door
Within a 24" arc of a closed door
Within 18" of the floor

After an accident lawyers and insurors look to the minimum standards, enforced or not.  I own some really nice untempered sashes  :)

Stephen1

We lowered the height of the windows on the cabin so that we could see out while we are sitting at the table, at 1st we were going with the 80" height as it matched the doorway, but then realized that we wanted to see out while sitting.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!