iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

jonsered 2165 question

Started by Bill in U.P., December 21, 2006, 07:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill in U.P.

I stopped in a local shop today to look at huskys and the owner showed me a jonsered 2165 he said would meet my needs. I cut firewood for myself and sometimes with my dad for his OWB. Last year I expanded my sideline firewood sales and could have sold 100 cords easy I think so I'm getting serious about it this year (logging some maple off my place then will be buying truckloads later). I've always run stihls (029's and 031's). Will the 2165 cut noticeably faster than a 029 in 6"-15" maple? Hows the longevity of the Jonsereds? Is a price around $650.00 US average? Thanks, Bill

macpower

Bill,
The 2165 is one of the toughest saws made. It is built on the same chassis as the 2171, smaller jug and piston. The 2165 will blow a MS290 or 310 away, they are not in the same class, nor are they in the same price range. $650 seems a bit high, but the local market will rule. I sold one the other day for $569 w/18 inch rsn Windsor bar, one on the floor now is $579 w/20 inch rsn GB bar. MSRP is something like$685, never been able to get anywhere near that here. 2171's go for about $650 around here.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

sawguy21

What macpower said. 029s, now MS290 and 031 which is an antique are no match for the modern jonnyred.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bill in U.P.

"blow away" and "no match" is what I wanted to hear. Looking for ways to speed up production any way possible within budget. The shop has the saw on sale now for $529.00 if you bring in a POS saw as a trade in(some kind of $150.00 rebate). If I had the $$ now I'd pick it up tommorrow. Seems like a decent shop. Bought chains and misc. parts as well as had bars ground.

SawTroll

I suspect that the much lighter MS361 will perform pretty much the same as the 2165 in the wood described....... 8)
Information collector.

Big Daddy

Hello in the U.P.
One of the local Amish Guys here has that saw. He cuts and sells fire wood all though the winter about 20 pulp cord so far this year. I seen that saw in action this last year at my place. Because of a heart attack 8 of them come to my place and cut and stacked 12 pulp cord of white oak in an hour and a half, 4 sawing and 4 stacking.
God Bless
Big Daddy

Thank You Sponsors!