iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 361 bar and chain

Started by Lyndaker, January 17, 2019, 08:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyndaker

I need to buy a new bar and chain for my 361, I run 3/8 chain, mostly chisel and semi chisel. The price of a bar from my local Stihl dealer is very expensive. I've purchased bars and loops of chain from Cutter's choice in the past as their prices are much cheaper. Is it worth shelling out the extra for a Stihl bar and chains? Or just buy a cheaper one and replace it more often? Also is it worth getting a bar with a replaceable tip?
I also have a 034 that I run the same chains on. Using them currently for clearing 5-10 acres of timbered land. Also use them for scribe fit log building and firewood.
Thanks for the feedback

lxskllr

I really like Stihl chain. I bought a 25' reel for my small saws, and can make my own Stihl chain for about the same cost the hardware store can make me Oregon. The savings would be even better with a 100' reel, but I don't cut enough for that to make sense. That might be an option.

I also really like Stihl bars, but haven't compared them to best 3rd party makers. Compared to the consumer level bars I've used, they're worth every penny. They make life a bit nicer. Maybe the better Oregon pro bars are close enough, at enough of a cost savings to be worth it? Dunno about the tips, but it's always a nice option. Hard to replace a tip that doesn't come off. Probably more important if you work with the tip a lot; eg boring cuts.

edit:
Sugihara and Tsumura bars might be worth a look too. They have an excellent reputation, and I believe they're a bit cheaper than Stihl. Cannon has a good rep too, but they may be a bit more expensive.

Inaotherlife

I think the Stihl bars have harder edges.

I've worn the sides thin but not worn down the edges on the ones I've used. They haven't required a lot of dressing.
I think they're worth the money, but I too have a problem with paying it.

I tend to buy bars, of whatever brand, when I find them on clearance. Usually before I need them. Often at way way below retail.

The Oregon chains are easier for me to sharpen.

Thank You Sponsors!