iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member here and seeking some advise

Started by COLRJBrinkman, January 08, 2019, 09:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COLRJBrinkman

This tree and many others on my property are this size roughly 73" in circumference/22+ inches wide.   I am looking at a CS590 with 20" bar or a CS 620 with a 24" bar for the big work and a CS 310 for limbing?  Those are all the saws I should need, yes?

>

Poulan P4018WTL being rebuilt and modded
Ryobi electric pole trimmer
Echo CS-352 with 16" bar
Echo CS-590 with 20" PowerMatch bar upgrade and rim sprocket upgrade

trapper

I am very happy with  my cs310 but if you dont have a saw between the two  I would go a bit bigger than the cs310
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

lxskllr

Seems reasonable. With the caveat I haven't run the 310, I'd perhaps go for the cs400 as the small saw. I think 20cc increments is a good target to go for with a saw selection, and the 400 will be more usable at the upper end of the range, while still being light enough for small stuff. I have a couple Stihl ms362s(60cc), and an echo cs400, and I prefer using the 400 when conditions allow it. The lighter weight is nicer to use for long periods of time.

COLRJBrinkman

Quote from: trapper on January 08, 2019, 09:51:52 PM
I am very happy with  my cs310 but if you dont have a saw between the two  I would go a bit bigger than the cs310
Well I have all Echo equipment which is why I am leaning towards Echo. I have really great Echo dealers at both my primary home and lake/woods property.  However, I have not ruled out Stihl yet either, especially for the small saw (MS 170/171/180).  I know once you do the muffler mod and retune the Echos they seriously kick butt.My budget for both saws is around $750ish. 
Echo CS-352 with 16" bar

COLRJBrinkman

Quote from: lxskllr on January 08, 2019, 09:53:48 PM
Seems reasonable. With the caveat I haven't run the 310, I'd perhaps go for the cs400 as the small saw. I think 20cc increments is a good target to go for with a saw selection, and the 400 will be more usable at the upper end of the range, while still being light enough for small stuff. I have a couple Stihl ms362s(60cc), and an echo cs400, and I prefer using the 400 when conditions allow it. The lighter weight is nicer to use for long periods of time.
Since I am fairly new to sawing. Im not a newbie, and have sawed for a few years, but these trees will be my biggest so far.  Should I stick with the 20" bar or up it to the 24" bar??

I am liking the pricing of the MS 170/180/181/211, but sounds like those might be underpowered for what my intention use for them would be.  
Echo CS-352 with 16" bar

lxskllr

I'm pretty new myself. I got my first 362 with a 24" bar for a particular job. It does fine if you're patient, but it makes the saw nose heavy, and that makes the whole saw feel heavier. I got my second 362 cause I happened on a good deal, and it had a 20" bar which I wanted. The balance is much nicer with the 20".

Ideally, I think I'd like both bars, and swap depending on job. If you went with the 590, the extra bar/chain, and a smaller saw(I'd go with the 400 and a 16" bar) will still be in budget. The 620 appears to be the better saw, and is priced accordingly, but perhaps it doesn't matter for your use. Someone else more knowledgeable could help out there.

doc henderson

welcome Colonel.  Unless you just have a ton of money to spend, go get a medium saw and wait to see what you want next.. I spent the first 20 years of my "logging career" (in Kansas) with one saw.  I had owned a McCullough and a home lite first.  But then when I bought my own home and put in a wood stove, I bought a Stihl 046.   This was my only saw for 20 years.  It can use a 36 inch bar, but my favorite is the 25 inch bar.  Heavy saw for limbing, but you do not have to bend over to limb a log. I now own about 8 saws, all stihl, but I added them after I decided I needed them.  I have a tiny 40 volt electric I can use in my shop for rustic stuff, and an 880, with a variety with a max 5 foot bar.  (cardio).
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Inaotherlife

I like the 50cc saws. Light and nimble compared to a 60cc.

Depends on how often and how big of a hurry you're in though. A 50cc saw could cut that tree up. Heck, even a 40cc saw could do it. 60cc will surely cut faster. But it's a tank of a saw in comparison.

But on the other end, I'd much rather have a 35cc saw than a 30cc.
40cc is good too, but not a lot lighter than a 50cc.

But yeah, your two choices would work fine.

Ianab

Unless you plan on cutting HUGE trees you  don't need a long bar on the saw.  I've comfortably cut 36" dia trees with a 20" bar on a 60cc saw. 

OK, if I was doing it every day, a bigger saw is justified. But if it's just the occasional bigger tree,  and if it takes 5 mins more to fell,  so what. You are probably there all day cleaning up the mess anyway..

I did have to buy a bigger saw, but that was for  40+ inch trees. And of course a 80cc saw with a 28" bar makes short work of regular smaller trees. 

Only thing I'm missing is a nice little light weight saw for limbing and pruning. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HolmenTree

Welcome COLRJbrinkman,
My advice is 60cc maximum displacement saw, 20" maximum bar/chain. Second saw 40-50cc with 16" max.
24" bars dull way too many chains in your size of trees.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

thecfarm

Stick with the Echo if you have a great dealer,as you said, Dealer support is worth a lot.
I have 2 saws,one big,372 Husky,one small,Efco 50cc,that I won on here.That small ones has really helped out my shoulder. It's a smaller,lighter saw. I always hope I can have 2 saws.,Money,but saying that I don't need the pain either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

curious what you plan to do with the wood.  If it is firewood or lumber.  Not a bad idea to work with a buddy or family member.  You may find a work partner that has equipment to compliment what you have.  You can offer to share the wood if you really have a ton, especially if you are trying to get it cleaned up.  Everyone is a little different as you can see here.  If you work with others, you get some first hand experience with different brands and sizes of power head and bar, as well as pitch.  If you are bucking these trees into firewood, that is a lot of cuts for a small saw.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Inaotherlife

That tree looks about half rotten.

Different story if you're felling healthy trees that size vs deadfall.

doc henderson

I think if you buy a high quality saw, you can use it the rest of your life, and still get some money back out of it or pass it on to your family.  I have made the mistake of getting in a rush to buy, and later wished I had waited.  Thank you for your service to our country.

DelawhereJoe

If you need a large cheap saw for some use you may want to look at the Farmertec/ Holzfforma saws they clone both stihl and Husqvarna saws. There G660 is next on my list as I want it for slabbing some oaks and yellow poplar and the big stihl and Husqvarna saws are well out of my price range.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

COLRJBrinkman

Quote from: doc henderson on January 09, 2019, 10:00:44 AM
curious what you plan to do with the wood.  If it is firewood or lumber.  Not a bad idea to work with a buddy or family member.  You may find a work partner that has equipment to compliment what you have.  You can offer to share the wood if you really have a ton, especially if you are trying to get it cleaned up.  Everyone is a little different as you can see here.  If you work with others, you get some first hand experience with different brands and sizes of power head and bar, as well as pitch.  If you are bucking these trees into firewood, that is a lot of cuts for a small saw.
Firewood. It'll just be myself and my wife
Echo CS-352 with 16" bar

COLRJBrinkman

Quote from: Inaotherlife on January 09, 2019, 10:25:36 AM
That tree looks about half rotten.

Different story if you're felling healthy trees that size vs deadfall.
it had a gapping hole in the main truck and then finally fell over.  Had our local BobCat guy push it back, but even then he couldn't push it too far due to the weight.  
Echo CS-352 with 16" bar

COLRJBrinkman

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on January 09, 2019, 10:44:48 AM
If you need a large cheap saw for some use you may want to look at the Farmertec/ Holzfforma saws they clone both stihl and Husqvarna saws. There G660 is next on my list as I want it for slabbing some oaks and yellow poplar and the big stihl and Husqvarna saws are well out of my price range.
I have looked at the G660, but that's a Huge beast...when I purchase more land that could be a future purchase.
Echo CS-352 with 16" bar

COLRJBrinkman

Quote from: lxskllr on January 08, 2019, 10:55:20 PM
I'm pretty new myself. I got my first 362 with a 24" bar for a particular job. It does fine if you're patient, but it makes the saw nose heavy, and that makes the whole saw feel heavier. I got my second 362 cause I happened on a good deal, and it had a 20" bar which I wanted. The balance is much nicer with the 20".

Ideally, I think I'd like both bars, and swap depending on job. If you went with the 590, the extra bar/chain, and a smaller saw(I'd go with the 400 and a 16" bar) will still be in budget. The 620 appears to be the better saw, and is priced accordingly, but perhaps it doesn't matter for your use. Someone else more knowledgeable could help out there.
The reason I mentioned the CS-620 (or the older 600) because you can go between 18-24" bars, just incase you need a larger bar. The 590 maxes at 20".  Ill probably get the 590 with 20" bar, upgrade the bar to PowerMatch and upgrade the sprocket to a rim. As for the smaller saw, sounds like a 40cc is better than a 30cc, so Ill have to relook
Echo CS-352 with 16" bar

DelawhereJoe

They have the clone of the ms 360 60cc and ms440 70cc class both sizes are great firewood size, that echo 590 is rated for a 24" bar but cutting oak will be slow but do able.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Inaotherlife

I'd just buy a more expensive saw to start with before I went buying a clutch hub/rim sprocket and an expensive new bar for a brand new saw.

Also, if you're wife is going to run a saw she might appreciate the 310 or 352 over a 40cc saw.

samandothers

Good evening and welcome!

I have two Echo's at CS341 and a CS620.  I Like the Echos  they start easy and run well.   I have a MS250 (home owner saw) Sthil I had before the other two.  I was my only saw for many years and handled all I needed.  The small saw is handy and I enjoy using it around the mill and for limbs.  I have not ran the CS620 much but it sure helped me put several trees down quickly.  The CS620 is pretty heavy with the 24 inch bar.  I look forward to gaining more experience with it.

My brother has a CS400 and likes it.  I seems to be a good size and not too heavy.  If I was starting over I might get the CS590 or maybe CS620 with a 20" bar and the CS400 with a 16".  Maybe you can find an Echo dealer near you having a 'Dealer Day' and get a large percentage off your saws.   I got 20% off the CS620 back early November and that helped a bunch!

Good luck with your selection!  Thank you for your service!

John Mc

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 09, 2019, 06:28:24 AM
Welcome COLRJbrinkman,
My advice is 60cc maximum displacement saw, 20" maximum bar/chain. Second saw 40-50cc with 16" max.
24" bars dull way too many chains in your size of trees.
I agree with Holmentree. I'd start with the 60cc saw. I would not put a 24" bar on it. Most 60cc saws seem to balance better with a 20" bar. It's just easier to maneuver and deal with, and less tiring to use. You can always get a 24" bar down the road, if you really want. Since most of the trees I cut are under 16", my 60cc saw wears a 16" bar most of the time. I'd rather have the lighter weight and better maneuverability of that shorter bar, even if it means I occasionally have to cut from two sides to get all the way through a tree.
I do own a 20" bar for my 60cc saw, but I only bother to put it on if I know I'm going to be making a large number of 16-20" cuts that day (for example cutting up a bunch of 18" logs into firewood). If there are a lot of cuts to make over 20", I drop back to the 16" saw, since I'm going to have to cut from both sides anyway. With the 16" bar, It's not too cumbersome to use it for limbing as well (though if I have a lot of limbing to do, I'll switch to my smaller, lighter saw).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lxskllr

Quote from: COLRJBrinkman on January 09, 2019, 01:37:21 PM

As for the smaller saw, sounds like a 40cc is better than a 30cc, so Ill have to relook
Don't let me talk you out of a small saw if *you* think a smaller one would be better. My reasoning is 20cc increments allow overlap at both ends of the spectrum. You can pick your primary saw of the job, and use it for everything. 60cc will get you up to 80cc work for occasional use, and also isn't completely ridiculous for 40cc use. Likewise, a 40cc saw is pretty light by my standards, but will still get you up to occasional 60cc work, and is much nicer to carry. With the shorter bar, it's also *much* nicer to sharpen. Seems to take forever to get around a 24" chain with a file. When I do my 16", it's "Hey! I'm done already!"  :^D
That said, I've got a 25cc saw on order. I'm still pretty close to my 20cc spread, so I'm not a liar, but I don't exactly need it either. It's just a nifty little unit, and I treat this stuff as my recreation, so it isn't merely a "business expense". If it were, I'd just use what I had. 40cc-60cc-80cc. I don't see me ever needing an 80cc saw, but the slot's open if I do. Wasn't that long ago I didn't see me needing a chainsaw at all. No telling what the future will bring.

COLRJBrinkman

Quote from: Inaotherlife on January 09, 2019, 05:10:20 PM
I'd just buy a more expensive saw to start with before I went buying a clutch hub/rim sprocket and an expensive new bar for a brand new saw.

Also, if you're wife is going to run a saw she might appreciate the 310 or 352 over a 40cc saw.
She's on chemo so she'll only be helping loading. However, she will want to use a smaller one in the future, hence my interest in a MS170/180 series or CS-310. I am rebuilding my Poulan Wild Thing which is a 40cc, never was a fan of it hopefully after the rebuild it will be better as a third backup saw.  
Echo CS-352 with 16" bar

Thank You Sponsors!