iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New mill scheduled for delivery!

Started by grweldon, June 15, 2012, 10:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Sorry for your disappointment but maybe a good initiation.  What I mean is don't schedule any sawing, or at least don't count on any sawing date that depends on a tree service taking down the trees on time.   :D :D :D   You'll see.   ;D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

That is too bad. Your luck is just like mine. Once I had to send my drivers license into the state. They had to mail it back to me. The day it was suppose to be back in my hand was a state holiday,I had to wait one more day to drive.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Congrats on the mill. After a week of milling you will forget about the wait.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

mikeb1079

Quote from: customsawyer on June 17, 2012, 10:24:06 AM
Congrats on the mill. After a week of milling you will forget about the wait.

Yep cos he'll be too tired to care!!   :D :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

ladylake

Quote from: grweldon on June 15, 2012, 03:31:52 PM
Stump,

I'm in the same situation.  Not only have I needed a tractor for some time to do bushhogging, I now find that I'll need one to drag logs from wherever I fell them, some up to a half-mile away.  Obviously, an inexpensive Ford 3000 or 4000 with a decent FEL would be a great find.  I have no doubt that I'll find the one I need when it is most critical to have it.  Funny how God works like that!

A good adition to a fel would be a set of forks for the 3 point, you can lift more and a lot better traction but not very high.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

grweldon

OK, we will try this again!  My TK 1400 is once again scheduled for delivery tomorrow morning.  Too bad I had to take off a day from work. (yeah, right!).  My biggest problem is that my next 3 Saturdays are spoken for and I won't really be able to use the mill until after that!  Bummer!

On the positive side, while I was preparing the base of what will be my first drying stack, I noticed some decently large pine trees in the general area.  I'm surprised at how fast pine grows.  When I first bought my property in 2007, these trees weren't small, but they are much larger now!

I would post a pic of my stack pad, I can't seem to figure out how to do it and y'all have seen them before... right?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

No, cain't say we have ever seen YOUR stack pads before.  Hold tite and somebody will give ya a pointer to the instructions on uploading and using photos in a posting. It's really not that hard and well worth the effort.

Good luck with your new mill but be sure to

Be Careful!

Herb

grweldon

OK... got it now...

I'm going to be putting black woven poly over the blocks after spraying the entire area with borate.  Then I'm going to put 2 timbers on each block lengthwise and then cut 4' sections to span between them, 18" apart and place my stickers on these.

Haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do about weighting the top of the stack, probably slabs on top of a piece of plywood.  I hate to spend $35 on a sheet of 3/4 PT plywood and I have a sheet of regular 3/8 that I can use.  If I had a tractor with forks, I would build a roof structure that I could set on top like I've seen another guy do on youtube.  Seems like it would be a great way to add weight and keep that stack dry.  I'll have to wait for now...

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

beenthere

Good on the pic.

I'd set the blocks on their side for better ground contact. The weight of the stack will likely push them in the ground the way they are in the pic.

And for the best stack, have each row (column) of stickers supported all the way to the ground. Getting the foundation level is often the most difficult trick, but important to good drying.

Good luck with the cover and the weight. Sometimes added low quality boards and some slabs can be used to build up a cover as well as weight.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

grweldon

Thanks Beenthere...

I may regret it, but I'm going to leave the blocks like there are.  It took me quite a while to get them all level (got blisters on my thumbs... I know... gloves) and I don't feel like going through it again, but I will keep it in mind when I build my next one.  I figured the concrete block was stronger in that direction and I've had problems with them breaking apart if used the other way.  Thanks again for the advice...

Glen

Larry

Around here they are constantly tearing down or replacing poultry houses with new modern houses.  Used tin is in the right price range.  I hold it down with junk timbers on top.

Its best to have multiply stacks.  One for 8', 10', 12' and so on.  And of course you will need a separate stack for each species. :D  I should follow my own advice. :o
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grweldon

Got the mill!  Sawed some lumber.  Nice mill... works well.

I've got a few minor issues that need to be worked out but other than that, all is as expected.  PM me if you are interested in finding out my issues.... issues with the mill that is!

hackberry jake

Why don't you just post the issues?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

grweldon

First off, nobody really asked me to post the issues, second, TimberKing is a sponsor and I've noticed people here tend to shy away from negative issues from any sponsor, third, I guess I only really want to inform those who really want to know.

The issues are just relatively minor, like why did they do it this way instead of this way, blah, blah.  The mill cuts well and will produce good lumber.

beenthere

gweldon
That is a good plan. Sure would like to hear about the good times you will be having.
Nothing is completely without problems at times, as you've already experienced.

Will be good to see some lumber stacked up too.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

grweldon

Beenthere,

It was dark by the time I finished stacking last night.  Only a small pile but it's a start.  I cut up one medium sized log and two small sized logs.  I estimate about I yielded about 90-100 bf in my first day of sawing... from about 11:30-7, with the TimberKing delivery guy showing me how to operator for the first 3 hours...

I'll take a picture tonight and post tomorrow...

kgbond

Gweldon

I hope all is well with the new mill. My tk 2000 was delivered on May 4th. I, like you, did have some issues similar to yours. I can totally relate and understand your frustrations and disappointments.
Kimball

thecfarm

hackberry jake

Quote from: grweldon on June 21, 2012, 10:49:44 AM
First off, nobody really asked me to post the issues, second, TimberKing is a sponsor and I've noticed people here tend to shy away from negative issues from any sponsor, third, I guess I only really want to inform those who really want to know.

The issues are just relatively minor, like why did they do it this way instead of this way, blah, blah.  The mill cuts well and will produce good lumber.

There's nothing wrong with stating something you dislike about your mill. As long as you aren't dragging them through the mud. I look at mills like dual sport motorcycles. They have to be engineered for anything. It makes them not the best at any one thing. If all you want is production, look at circle mills. If you want the most recovery it's band mills. If you want low maintenance costs it's swing mills. Width, slabbers. High output and high recovery, band resaws. There's a happy medium and a flaw in one mans eyes is a savior in another's.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!