iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What portable bandmill do I buy?..anyone have one for sale???

Started by landbaron001, June 12, 2005, 09:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

landbaron001

Hi Landbaron here,
This is my first post, finally. I would like to hear from you experienced folks in reference to whta is a good unit , hydraulic feed and depth settin and maybe a log loader. Mostly personal use with maybe a few odd jobs for other people. I realize there are many other factors but I could not list all of them. I live in New Brunswick, Canada so if there are any for sale I hope that they are on the east coast. Ha ha ha . Thanks for you help

Mill dummy

Brad_S.

Welcome, Landbaron 8)

Beyond that, I'm going to try and stay out of this one! :o :-X :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Don R

Welcome to a very interesting and knowledgeable group. I'm new myself, and asked the same questions a few weeks ago. I was directed to www.sawmillexchange.com I found a good selection of different mills, and when I picked a few to look at the guy who runs the site, Brian, I believe was very helpful. I ended up buying one of the mills advertised there, quite reasonably. Give it a try, at least you will see what's available and what kind of prices are on them. Good luck. Don

tnlogger

first welcom to the forum landbaron check out our sponsors ans i think in your area you might check out clark sawmills they are a good company i'll see if i can get you the address.
gene

Part_Timer

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Brad_S.

Landbaron001,
Unless you've been hanging in the shadows for a while as a guest, you're probably wondering why no one is stepping up to the plate and answering your question. One reason is there are alot of variables about what your needs are that we don't know. The other is that you just laid down a land mine field, and no one wants to be the first to enter. :D
Here is a thread from the not too distant past to hold you over.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=11903.0
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

ronwood

Landbaron001,

I guess I will step out and see if I can avoid the landmines.  :D :D. There are many factors one needs to look.  Your budget, customer service expectations, support equipment, how much you want to cut at anyone time,  and on and on. 

Myself I chose a hydraulics mill to make the loading and turning of the logs easier. Also it provided a safer enviroment were I did not have to turn big logs. For smaller logs a manual mills works well as a matter a fact many times I do use a cant hook to turn the logs.

Customer service and location of the company with respect to where I live was another factor. 

There is a continued debate to whether the 4 post or cantiliver design is better. Each has it good point.  If a mill is taken care of either will cut well.  I feel that the operator of the mill and the maintenance of the mill and blades are the main factors in having a mill run and cut well.

ronwood

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Thank You Sponsors!