iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beaver 49 planer

Started by SmartAlec, March 20, 2018, 12:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartAlec

Does anyone have any information on a beaver 49 planer?

TKehl

Is it a planer or a jointer?

Couldn't find a planer on VM, but they have several jointers listed.  Doesn't mean it's not a planer, just no planers documented there from Beaver... yet...

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=83&tab=4
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

SmartAlec

I guess it could be a jointer. It will cut ship lap and tongue and groove plus straight edging

SmartAlec

I've looked through that list before and didn't see it. I found one on a website for an auction in the states that called it a planer. Tradewest Sales : COMPLETE SAWMILL, PLANER &

Don P

That looks like a big old school 4 head push feed molder. I'd expect babbitt bearings, square heads. Slow setups and probably a handyman special full of repair brazing from some serious crashes of a long life. If you're asking about it, it's probably more work than you know or want.

SmartAlec

Haha I've got a pretty good idea about that. I'm having trouble finding any information on them though

TKehl

Hmm...  I'm by no means an expert, but that's a new one for me.  

Looks like a double sided planer to me.  Don't see where it would hold a side head or the belts to drive it (at least based on the one decent picture).  

I also think that despite the flat belts, it may be newer (relatively speaking) construction.  The base and much of the frame is welded and bolted channel and steel shapes.  If it were old enough to have Babbitt bearings, it would have a lot more cast iron. 

My guess is a low volume "custom" equipment shop.  
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

SmartAlec

Ours looks to be a fair bit older than the one in the picture. I'll try and get a picture when we get it home

Flyingpig

So, I can help a little. It is a four head planer/moulder. Alec and I own serial number 83. Ours is in nice shape, it has pillow block and roller bearings all over. They were quite popular up here I know of at least a few of them.

We also own a much older Waterous 5 head planer/moulder. It has Babbitt bearings and also runs two side heads and one shaped head overhead, as well as the two planer knives. It's all cast construction and mainly gear drive. A simply Beautiful machine, more closely resembling a Southbend lathe than a piece of sawmill machinery. We plan to restore the Waterous and run the Beaver.

Oh hi Alec! No point in commenting on what you already know ha ha!

Flyingpig

Thank You Sponsors!