iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peak Chilli

Started by Ianab, March 27, 2018, 04:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Wasn't sure whether to put this under food or "Health and Safety".  :D

Think we have reached our personal limits for chilli sauce hotness.  sketti_1 smiley_mad_crazy smiley_crying

2 oz of Trinidad Scorpions.

Into a small pot of tomato / onion / capsicum. 

There is a video of Lil tasting a drop of it, but I can't post it due to the language  smiley_furious  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BradMarks

And how many times did that burn? ;D

Ianab

Haven't been brave enough to try more than a taste test. Next Burrito night  smiley_mad_crazy
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

I would like to try it but have my limits. If it overpowers the food I'll pass. smiley_horserider
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

Well, we a had a lazy chicken and chips dinner, so I used some as dipping sauce. 

I survived  :D But you don't want to dip too deep.  :o

Kids had some of the milder Jalapeno sauces I'd made up earlier.  

In other news, I've saved seeds, and the polycarbonate roofing for the "chilli shed" arrived today. Friend is looking to convert some old pig sheds into greenhouses, and I suggests growing chillies as they are about the most $$ per kg.  So we converting one "pen" to plastic roof, and will put in timed irrigation, and try a variety of different chillies. 

I suspect the Trinidad Scorpions and Bhut Jolokia are going to be "Niche Market" locally, so we will grow some Jalapeno / Habanero / Thai Birdseyes as well. See what grows and sells the first season. 

Potentially we could have 1/2 an acre or so under plastic, but that's a LOT ($) of polycarbonate and irrigation. Hence the "pilot plant" this year. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ianab on March 27, 2018, 04:43:50 PM
There is a video of Lil tasting a drop of it, but I can't post it due to the language  smiley_furious  :D
I saw it and I'm still  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

Still experimenting.  

Have made... 
pear + feijoa + medium chilli
Persimmon + feijoa + mild chilli
Mostly feijoa + several Ghost Chilli.  smiley_devil

The hotter one is a 1.25 litre of sweet fruit chutney, with around Tabasco Sauce level hotness. TASTY  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Keep going and you gonna burn the house down.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

Postman bought a small package today. I figured if we are going to actually do market research and sell a few chillies, we will need a range as the Trinidad Scorpions are a "limited market" in these parts. Local mail order seed company came through with a selection of medium to hot varieties.

Don P

They had pepper day at the market this past week so I did a little reading. Peppers originated in South America, red pepper was one of the spices that Columbus took back with him. It was also the only nightshade he carried back home that was an immediate hit. It quickly became a garden item and travelled the globe with traders. Of the 22 wild species we have domesticated 5. In their native range the wild peppers are sold right alongside the larger domesticated ones and they are all used... I see a road trip.

Interesting that all these "native" cuisines around the world that rely so heavily on chiles are only about 500 years old at the most. It was a boring table back before old Chris.
Columbus used the term pepper for the chile because it reminded him of Turkish black pepper, unrelated, so he called these red pepper.

Yup, one of the kids at the market wanted some reaper seeds to replant and used his bare hands, Michelle had put gloves right there on the table. Some of us learn the hard way.

We were watching a movie and cleaning peppers a week or so ago. Michelle had the hots and gloves on and I had the mild peppers and was working them barehanded. Being engrossed in the movie I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention. There had been a miscommunication when Michelle got the saved seeds, holy cow, many washings and I still burned an eye and, oh yeah, the next day.

One article I read said chile is the pepper, from the root chil. Aji is used further south, hmm aja dulce? Chili is the meat and pepper dish. Interesting to see it with 2 L's, I've not seen that spelling.

Thank You Sponsors!