iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tongue and groove

Started by dean herring, April 15, 2018, 08:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean herring

I'm looking into making some tongue and groove and need some information on a good machine to do this.
Got a lot of red oak and blue pine.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Southside

How much is a lot? You can do it with a shaper, or go full on with a moulder. What is your budget? If this is a one time thing would it make more sense to pay someone to do it for you? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tin Horse

A moulder or shaper is definitely better. If it's a limited amount and on a budget a router works well. I've set up two in tables with 1/2" shank matching bits. Once the lumber is prepped it goes pretty fast. Not something you'd want to do a lot of but ok for small projects. I keep sample pcs for faster set up. A dedicated moulder is on my wish list.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Kbeitz

The best machine that I seen for that job was home made.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Larry

A table saw with a dado blade can work well. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

starmac

I don't know how much you have to do, but I am pretty sure there was pictures of Magic Man using a router for it on his cabin addition thread. It looked fairly simple and inexpensive too.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

terrifictimbersllc

What are you wanting to tongue and groove?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Planman1954

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 15, 2018, 07:32:16 PM
The best machine that I seen for that job was home made.
Ok...and that was??
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

hackberry jake

I'd use a table saw before I'd use a router if you have a lot. It just goes faster with more horsepower.  As long as you have accurate stock and a nice jig, you'll get good results. I've tongue and grooved miles of flooring on a shaper.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

curved-wood

The end use is quite important. A soft wood ''V'' joint doesn't need as much precision. If you use a table with a cutter insert, the board has to be fairly  straight ; a pass on the jointer helps. A shaper or a router mount on a table with a bearing and a good guide is Ok. Hardwood flooring needs more precision unless you are welling to tolerate fine cracks on the finish floor.  Here are my steps for hardwood flooring: -1) edge my kiln dry wood on the bandsaw mill to get one very straight edge  (the other edge is not important because the 4 face planer will shave it out )  -2) get throught a 4 face planer for sizing all the inequality . It is set 1/8'' bigger than the finish product -3) a second pass on another 4 face planer for the finish product. I found difficult to do nice flooring in one pass in my old 4 face planer. In the second pass , since the wood is fairly consitent in dimension,  the presures could be set more tight and  the wood is running without resistance.  A lot of steps but a great value increase in the price for a low grade wood which I have no market for.   
If it is for ''V'' joint soft wood I will do only one pass and jump also the edging on the mill. The wood has to be fairly consistant in dimension and well sawed.

Thank You Sponsors!