iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's your choice?

Started by ReggieT, May 07, 2018, 01:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Got a chance to grab a couple truck loads of green firewood to season for 2019.
Both of them are free of charge, but here is the kicker.
I can only nab one species per the landowner!
I've asked him a couple times why I can't mix em...and he just goes into a demented diatribe! smiley_furious smiley_bucktooth
Shagbark Hickory or Honey Locust!!! ::)
I've burnt bunches of black locust and a little
shagbark...not real familiar with Honey Locust.
I know that carpenter ants seem to have a real passion for the black locust.

Which one would you studs choose? ???

Ianab

Honey Locust is great firewood, but if I was collecting it, I'd probably go with the Hickory as it doesn't have the nasty spines. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

E Yoder

That's a great problem to have. 👍 :)Usually I'm stuck with scrounging the junk wood.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

LeeB

As far as burning goes I would take the hickory over the honey locust. The honey splits easier though. Hydraulic splitter is nice for either one. The honey locust needs to be well seasoned. I burn it because I have it and the wife doesn't like the trees. I cut them down and make firewood out of them. No sense in wasting firewood I paid for. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

hedgerow

For me the big question would be is the honey locust thorn or thorn less. Around here we have both with the locust and the thorn type just go in to the brush piles and are burned. If it has thorn's I would go with the hickory. 

TKehl

I'd take the Hickory, sell it to a BBQ restaurant, then look for other wood for firewood.   ;D

BTU wise, it's basically a tossup.  27.7 versus 26.5 for Hickory and HL respectively.

I don't really care for cutting Hickory bark as it seems to hold dirt and dull chains quicker, but it beats giant thorns.  

Now if the Honey Locust is thornless, or has been dead a while, thorns are no longer an issue.  At that point it becomes what is the easiest to get to etc.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

KEC

As another stated, honey locust is stubborn to dry, but a big piece of it along with something that burns more readily will hold a fire a long time on a long winter night.

ReggieT

Yep...I've noticed that black locust is not the easiest to catch on...but man the burn time is almost unreal! 

KEC

If you cut Black Locust and let it lie for a few months, then score the bark lengthwise with a chainsaw, the bark will come off with an axe. Upgrades that wood considerably with that thick bark off. Don't worry about the wood going bad, it's rot resistant.

ReggieT

You know like to burn black locust bark? :D
I just started a huge stump burn with hedge/blk locust scraps, starter fluid, some charcoal!  

hedgerow

Quote from: ReggieT on June 12, 2018, 02:21:13 AM
You know like to burn black locust bark? :D
I just started a huge stump burn with hedge/blk locust scraps, starter fluid, some charcoal!  
I love to burn that hedge. 

cutterboy

Go for the hickory. It's a very dense wood so will burn a long time and give a lot of heat. But it can be hard to split. If you have a wood splitter it won't be a problem.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!