iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Glue- Titebond, Quick and Thick

Started by caveman, June 12, 2018, 08:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Yesterday, after doing some tractor work for my uncle, who is president of the local woodworkers club, he showed me a glue that I was previously unfamiliar with - Titebond Quick and Thick.  He spread a little on the end grain of two pieces of oak that were about 3/4"x1 1/2" x 1 1/2" and clamped them together for 10 minutes.  I tried to break the glue joint with my hands to no avail.  Thinking I might have been suffering from girly hand syndrome, I took a 1"x 3" and whacked it a few times while holding it in my left hand and did not break the glue joint.

He was given a few sample bottles of Tite Bond glues at the last woodworker meeting by the Tite Bond rep.  It may be a useful product for those glue joints you don't want to wait on.  It is listed for interior use.

Also, the rep mentioned that cutting boards glued up with Tite Bond III were okay to put in the dishwasher (not that I would ever put a wooden cutting board in a dishwasher).

Caveman

69bronco

Never seen it in the store, that'll will be handy in places for sure!

DPatton

I have seen it in the store but didn't know of its capabilities till now. Good to know.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

btulloh

Good info.  Sounds like it could be great for trim.  

Have to try that end grain thing myself just to see what happens.
HM126

Bruno of NH

As a finish carpenter for many years that would be very helpful while doing trim work.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

21incher

That looks like it would be great for picture frames. Thanks for sharing.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

caveman

I was thinking it would be good for picture frames too.
Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thans for sharing this Caveman. New to me. 
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

petefrom bearswamp

What is the work up time?
I am slow and clumsy so need a lot of time before set up.
I remember as a kid there were samples of 1" wood dowels glued end grain in our local (long gone) store.
The proprietor challenged us to break them apart, but they were so short you couldnt get a decent purchase
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

logbyr

I think if they changed the name to titebond board stretching fluid they would find a huge untapped market.

caveman

Update:
I asked my uncle to do another test of the quick and thick. He glued two 1"x4"x8" oak boards together on the end grains, clamped for 20 minutes.  He put a fulcrum on a bathroom scale after the 20 minutes had elapsed and he reported that the glue joint failed at 40 lbs of pressure as shown on the scale applied to the ends of the boards.

Next, he glued the same sized boards together in the same fashion and clamped for 24 hours.  He tried to break the joint with his hands and then over his knee but was unsuccessful at breaking the glue joint.  I don't guess he put pressure on the scale after the longer glue up.

Peter, I think the set time is relatively quick - like a minute or so.  
Caveman

Larry

I do some segmented wood turning.  To make the rings a board is cut into pie shaped pieces and glued back together.  Its all end grain gluing.  An example is this bowl.

The majority of the time I use Titebond Original.  I can glue a ring and put it on the lathe to be turned after 10 minutes but to be safe I normally wait 15-20 minutes.  And yes the end grain joint is not as strong as face grain.

One method I've used with glue ups is called the Rub Joint.  The joint with glue applied is rubbed together for 30 seconds to a minute.  At some point the joint will grab and can no longer be moved.  Trim carpenters use this method a lot.  Again standard Titebond Original.

I don't think I would pay a premium for the new glue unless it could do something I can't do with the standard glue.  Of course I would gladly test a free bottle of the new stuff. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!