iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Enjoying some Time Off

Started by Magicman, June 13, 2018, 08:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, taking some time off, traveling, and relaxing.

Yesterday we stopped at the Duck Commander to check on da Duck Guys.

Willie seemed a bit stiff, and Phil was all boxed in.

Anyway, we will spend tonight at Mount Magazine, Arkansas' tallest mountain.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

We spent last night on Arkansas' highest 1573', Mt. Magazine.

I was found guilty of sawing a log.

It looked like some kinda Evergreen Tree?

There were some Oaks.  I know White Oak but not this particular Red Oak.  This tree was only  ~12"dbh and the bark furrows were shallow.

This leaf was ~10" across.

Our plan was to continue North today on Hwy 7, but instead chose to travel on the "Pig Trail" (actual name) Hwy 23 to Eureka Springs.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

popcorn_smiley    

Thanks for taking me along for the ride?

Safe travels.

SwampDonkey

The Mighty Ducks, oh wait, I guess that must be some kind of movie about a hockey team. ;D

Gotta love them summer road trips, although today it is not summer-like up this way, a cold rain in the 40's. Doh!!

If you keep climbing states and skip across, maybe Jesse (my building contractor) will let you nail up a sheet of gyp-rock, or a piece of maple flooring. ;D :D ;)

Ride safe my friend. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

98° here in Eureka Springs, AR.

We have tickets to see the "Open Air" Passion Play tonight, so we toured a bit this afternoon.

"Christ of the Ozarks" stands 67' with an arm span of 65'.

Here is a 10'X10' section of the Berlin Wall.

And a descriptive sign.

SwampDonkey

Amen to the fall of the wall, no matter what your faith. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

We went to the Passion Play last night which is a huge open air production lasting almost two hours and depicting the last days of Jesus.

This production easily has well over 100 characters.

Today we visited the Thorncrown Chapel.

This totally glass clad building is a work of art.

And the internal structure was amazing.

Today we did the touristy thing in Eureka Springs.  "Flat iron" buildings such as this separating the town is commonly seen in Y towns but are still eye catchers. 

Tomorrow it is on to Branson, MO.

olcowhand

Majicman,
If your shirt is the true definition of "Sawing Logs", then I would have you all beat as a Sawyer, and I would win the World Lumberjack Competition (I almost referenced someone else in my house, but I know when to say "It was me!")..... smiley_horserider
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Magicman

My thermometer read 102° here in Branson MO. today.  smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun  Dat's Hot !!!   :o

SwampDonkey

Sure is. We had 80's here, but a nice breeze coming from the north under the shade of a yard tree. :)

Magicman

If being on vacation qualifies me to be completely worthless, then success!!!

An umbrella in a plant pot on a sidewalk?

A closer look and it is a duck hen hatching her eggs.

I was thirsty but did not find any Purple Drank.   :o 

We are still in Branson and will attend the Presley's Show tonight.

thecfarm

Love the duck.Now the soda?? But still interesting to look at.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

We attended the Presley show last night.

Presley Father and three Sons.

They brought the house down.  We plan to attend the Baldknobbers tonight.

E fan

Heading there Monday morning when I get out of work 

E fan

on your way back down 65 turn at Leslie and go to Blanchard Springs Caverns 

Magicman

Last night we attended the Baldknobbers show.

They had good singers.

And put on a good show.  
We will head South today and get back home tomorrow.   move_it

Magicman

Back home and unpacked. 

It then took me a couple of hours opening mail and handling bookkeeping.   :P

CX3

Hey I been to the duck place too!

That oak is a northern red oak. Some people call it a water oak.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

CX3

Branson is just down the road from my house. We live in Bruner lol. Find that on Google.
You Better Believe It!

WV Sawmiller

CX3,

Never heard a Northern Red Oak called a water oak before - may be a local thing in your area.

We had lots of Water Oak in NW Fla. Had a smaller leaf maybe 3 inches long and acorns about the size of or slightly smaller than a marble. Water Oak and Willow oak were real similar and possibly hybridized as I remember. I think the will oak had single, unlobed leaf 4-6 inches long.

Most of what people called Red oak in our area were usually Southern Red Oak.

I think all these oaks were in the Red Oak family and the wildlife ate their acorns after they had finished off the white oak acorns which were bigger and sweeter. Waiting later also let some of the tannic acid leach out of the red oak acorns.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Quote from: CX3 on June 24, 2018, 09:18:11 AMSome people call it a water oak.
As I am sure that you know, northern red oak and water oak are very different species.  Many local common names are very misleading and quite wrong.  Down in the Gulf South, water oak, willow oak, and laurel oaks are called "pin oak".  They look nothing like the real pin oak, Quercus palustris.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Quote from: WDH on June 25, 2018, 08:23:41 AM
Many local common names are very misleading and quite wrong.

It is interesting to read the names used and the discussions about same are similar species across the country, but agree it can be confusing to a layman such as myself.

CX3

That's a water oak ask any logger in Missouri lol
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!