iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heading to Northern Canada next year looking for input

Started by oakiemac, July 09, 2018, 11:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Heading out for a 6 week trip next year. Starting in southern Michigan then heading up to the UP. From there I'm going to northern Minnesota boundry waters and from there to Canada and across to Jasper and Banff nat. parks. I plan on taking the back roads and want to see remote sights that other people wont bother to go to. I'll have a 4x4 truck with a small tent camper plus mt bike, Canoe, packraft, hiking camping gear.
Mainly looking for advice in Canada. My route right now takes me North of Winnipeg to Clear water lake park then to Narrow hill park and candle lake park then Hwy 3 to Edmonton and from there to Jasper and Banff and then down to Walkerton park and back to the US to Glacier park.
Any remote canoeing, hiking or mt biking spots that I should check out? I'm not looking for tourist traps but rather wilderness areas. Should be easy to find in Canada-at least that's what I think.
I'll be fishing and over night canoeing or hiking. I have no problems hiking back in the bush miles or going down two tracts.

Thank you
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Grizzly

I'm relieved to see that your route does not include hwy 1 across the southern part of our prairie provinces! Once done in Jasper think about coming back towards Hinton and taking the forestry trunk roads down through the woods. Sorta runs parallel to the Jasper/Banff hwy but doesn't have tourists. Some oilfield traffic towards Hinton I suppose. Others probably know details about this route that I don't. When leaving Candle Lake and heading towards Edmonton you'll pass within 10 miles of us if you want to stop in. I could also tell you about some forestry roads to take across from north of Prince Albert and make your way over to Meadow Lake and then you could take northern route through Cold Lake and completely bypass Edmonton. Terrific parkland up there.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

oakiemac

Grizzly, that bypass of Edmonton sounds like just what I'm after. If you have a few minutes sometime appreciate the info. No rush since I wont be going until august of 2019. I'm thinking about leaving mid august so should be up in Canada early September. I'm hoping that the crowds will be less that time of year but still not too cold.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

oakiemac

Btw-Griz I'd love to stop in and see you. I'll buy you dinner and a beer.

submarinesailor

Loved fishing in Quetico's Lake Sarah, Brett, Turk and Cone - just to name a few.
After we stopped working our way into the interior, the first fish I caught was a 7.5 lb small mouth. 8)  Should have seen the look on my face when I was told to "put it back,it's too small."  :o :o

We were there in late May/early June and the fishing was outstanding.  But the skitters, ticks and BLACK FLYS  were something else.  Needed one of these to deal with them  air_plane

Bruce

oakiemac

Subsailor, sounds like a good time.

What boat were you on? I served 4 years on the USS Haddo SSN 604

submarinesailor

@oakiemac - I did 5+ years on the Wilson, SSBN 624, 3 years at FBMSTC Charleston, then back to sea on the Stimson for 3+ years, SSBN 655, with my last sea/sub duty on the SMMSO PMT in Kingsbays, GA.  As a Submarine Missile Tech, the big boats/missile facilities were the only places I could go.  What were you on the Haddo?

oakiemac

I was a nuke ET. Reactor operator. Got out and worked at a nuclear power plant for 7 years as an I&C tech then went to a large pharmaceutical company as a tech. 9 month to go and I am retiring then I'll be doing the above mentioned 6 week trip. Can't wait.

Grizzly

Road Trip!

Just a rough idea of what you could do and eliminate a bunch of urban crawl. There's even more bush road options if you like but to bring you by my house I had to eliminate a few. I'll keep working.

btw - no booze around here but I understand the message.  :)
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

oakiemac

Thanks for the map. I guess I'll have to go into Edmonton after all because my wife is flying in there to meet me.

What no beer in your neck of the woods? Well I cant wait for the trip. Should be a great time.
Thanks again for the info.

Thank You Sponsors!