iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wavy boards

Started by hazazil, June 25, 2018, 08:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazazil

I just bought my first band sawmill and got it all put together last week. It is a norwood hd36.

The first log  i milled was a white cedar log that i milled into a 4x4. Everything went fine

2nd was a maple log that has been sitting around for a year or so. Cuts seemed level but toward the end i watched the blade curve down and then back up.

I read the troubleshooting section of my manual and seen there was only a few things could cause wavy boards.

I knew it wasnt a full blade because it was new.

Blade was tight.

Read it could be stress from the log and after closer observation there was some funky knots going on close to where it was cutting wavy and i could see the grains moving around the knot.

I just milled a pine log to make some stickers. The log was straight but ofcourse had some knots in it.

Is it normal to get wavy cuts on most any logs with knots?

Could i be cutting too fast?

Im using a 10 degree blade from norwood.

Chuck White

The only question I can think of right now is to ask "are the blade guide rollers set so there is 1/4 inch of downward deflection below the bandwheels?

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, hazazil!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bruno of NH

Try a 4° band in woods with lots of knots 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

esteadle

>  Cuts seemed level but toward the end i watched the blade curve down and then back up. 

A fresh blade should saw for hours... and many logs, but you only got thru 1 and a half. 

You may have hit some metal. 

Think back to when that happened. 
Did you hear anything odd? 
Like a ZZZZZiiiiiippp? 

Check the teeth of the blade closely with a magnifying glass. 
Look at the wood and see if there is a shiny metal spot somewhere on the board faces. 

Randy88

Put in a brand new blade and run it on the next cut, if it stops, it was the blade, if it does the exact same thing, you have other things causing it and need to investigate farther.  

hazazil

My bandsawmill uses ceramic guides above ,below and behind the blade. The blade is supposed to travel between all 3 without touching them per the manual

DPatton

I cut a small whack of 2+ yr old pine cants today for my brother to use in his barn repairs. Was sawing 2x's out of em all. I used a couple of Kasco 4's on the majority of it. This is my first batch of Kasco blades and I'm really liking them for the hardwoods. However I too produced some wavy boards by trying to push my blades to long. It's down right suprising how a blade that was cutting the last cant seemingly just fine all of a sudden will not make a straight pass no matter what you do when there are knots to deal with. I also used a TK Ultra Max 10* blade to finish out the day and had good success with it. There simply is no substitution for sharp when it comes to blades.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!