iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

look at this

Started by woodmills1, July 15, 2018, 09:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Last winter bothered me so much I bought a new tractor.  My new tractor makes me smile so much I did this.

20' by 23' by 6 avg
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

mostly oak with a pine finish
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

samandothers

Looks like you are having fun!

hedgerow

Your going to enjoy that new tractor. 

doctorb

You keep having that much fun and you won't be able to drive down that driveway!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Hilltop366

20+ cord! That should keep you going for a few days this winter.

If you would like take a trip to Nova Scotia I can set you up for all kinds of "fun"!

I have a tractor but you are welcome to bring yours.

;D

woodmills1

who says logs don't dry out.  I probably had this over 10 years sitting in the log yard.  I cut and split this 2 days ago.

John Mc

24% is not very dry. Most folks like to see their firewood down below 20%. Mine is generally below 15% when I burn it (unless I get behind in my splitting and stacking).

Wood looses moisture fairly easily down to the fiber saturation point (typically around 30%, but varies with different species). Below that point, it goes much more slowly until it finally reaches the equilibrium moisture content. EMC depends on the temperature and humidity of the surrounding air: At 70˚F and 55% relative humidity, the EMC is about 10%. However, it can take a long time to actually get there. The longer the log, the more slowly it goes. (Check the end of an 8' log, then cut 2 or 3 feet off and check it again.)  It does not surprise me that the log is still up to 24% even after 10 years if it was in a long length. It has basically only lost 6% below the fiber saturation point.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

woodmills1

that picture was taken 10 minutes after the piece was split from the huge chunk in the other picture.  The log kicked around my work area for years.  I knew it was good lookin red oak but it had center rot/ants so it never made it to the sawmill.

Thank You Sponsors!