iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adjustments to a chain mortiser.

Started by Jim_Rogers, July 16, 2018, 06:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I was using a brand new just out of the box chain mortiser today. And I realized that it needed a minor adjustment to make it better.

When you plunge in the third position the bar wasn't going over to it's maximum throw.

In the below picture you see where it did cut and how much more it gained after I adjusted it:

when you want to make it cut the maximum you adjust this bolt:
at red arrow

Loosen the jamb nut and move the bolt until the round roll pin in the red circle is at the maximum position.

This will gain you this much:

About 3/4 of an inch.

Nice new machine.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Andries

Thanks for posting this Jim.
Could you please identify the make of chain mortiser - and no, I won't take it as either an endorsement or criticism. 😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Jim_Rogers

Makita (7104L) I believe that is the model number.

Jim Rogers

Geeg

Hi Jim,

Nice, I will check mine to see if I can get any extra range. Have you sharpened your chain yet? Mine is getting dull and needs a sharpen but don't know what the best way would be.

Geeg
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Jim_Rogers

I do have a spare chain I can use when I need to send mine out to be sharpened.
I have a machine shop in ME that does them pretty reasonable.
But I can't find their info right now. I know a friend who has used them and I have just emailed him to ask him to send me their contact info again so I'll have it on hand for you.

Jim Rogers

Geeg

Thanks Jim, If I recall, the chains are quite expensive.

Standing by.
Geeg
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Jim_Rogers

Last time I checked about $500.
I sold one to a friend for $250 with the deal that I could borrow it back while mine was being sharpened.
Jim Rogers

Don P

That's a good idea, a shared spare chain. We were looking for the number of the shop in Salem, VA, downtime, etc.  My partner successfully sharpened mine by hand a few weeks ago. I'll see if he remembers which file but you can do it in the field.  I was in white oak and he took it from smoking to almost pleasurable.

rjwoelk

Don did you find out the file size for the mortiser chain?
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Don P

Whoops I forgot. We're taking down a yard walnut today, I'll ask the other Don what he was using.

Don P

5/32" file, straight across 2 at once IIRC.

It was a nice walnut, I hope about $600 worth, I smushed a Husky :'(

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!