iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newest invasive insect wave

Started by Southside, October 19, 2018, 10:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

And here I feared it would be the Uzbekistan spotted pine beetle that would arrive and have a feast on the monoculture we have been creating here in the south east.  

Looks like this guy followed his cousin the Emerald Ash Borer on the journey west.  Wonderful.  

Spotted Lanternfly
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

LaneC

I feel for you. The Cogangrass and popcorn trees (Chinese tallow) are terrible here, as well as the Voroa mite and Small hive beetle (both from Africa). Just these 4 species of different grasses and insects have caused so much damage it is unreal. I have no idea how to prevent any of the encroachment which is happening, but I do know that it is a huge problem. All you can do is try to control these species at this point. Constant monitoring and poisoning is necessary. 
Man makes plans and God smiles

Ron Wenrich

They favor tree of heaven.  Sometimes people call it sumac.  Current control methods is to remove the tree of heaven from your area.  You need to apply herbicide, as tree of heaven is a prolific sprouter.  I'm in the quarantine area, but haven't seen any lanternflies.  Their egg mass is a mud patch on the side of the tree.  

Spotted Lanternfly Management for Homeowners
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

btulloh

Good info.  Thanks for posting this.  So far I haven't seen any here, but it's a good idea to keep a lookout.  

I have a fair amount of sumac which I'm working to reduce.  I'll keep an eye out for egg masses on the sumac.  Cut stump and hack and squirt using triclopyr controls it well.  Still have to watch out for sprouting from seeds that have dropped but I don't get any sprouting from the roots after treating.

We don't need any more invasive, destructive insects.
HM126

lxskllr

Sumac is a native tree, and not the same as tree of heaven. Dunno if the insect likes that also, but I wouldn't necessarily go bringing death to every sumac in sight. Not that it's that valuable, but... I'm sure it's good for something, and it belongs here.

btulloh

What I've got is tree of heaven.  I just called it sumac for short hand.  
HM126

Southside

They also like apples and pine supposedly.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ron Wenrich

Part of the fear is that the egg masses may be on Christmas trees.  That will take it into people's homes and the egg masses could hatch.  A good way to transport the fly.  

Back when the gypsy moth came in, one of the best ways for them to jump quarantine areas was on RVs and campers.  People would go camping in an area that had the moth, then take the RV home for the winter.  It would jump into areas where there had been no previous problems.  Lanternfly will probably jump the same way.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

DelawhereJoe

Sounds like a good reason to bring back DDT.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Wudman

A favored food for the lantern fly is grapes.  That's the biggest concern at the moment for Virginia.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

esteadle

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on October 21, 2018, 08:14:53 AM
Sounds like a good reason to bring back DDT.
Chronic toxicity
Primarily through the tendency for DDT to buildup in areas of the body with high lipid content, chronic exposure can affect reproductive capabilities and the embryo or fetus.[85]

Thank You Sponsors!