iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cahin dog for parbuckling on the mill

Started by Stuart Caruk, October 19, 2018, 11:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Caruk

I know I've seen a picture, but I'll be darned if I can find it. 

Milling some 38" dia 35'  logs on my LX450 works amazingly well. Turning the suckers... not so much. The chain turner and clamp won't even touch them. So, I have some hand dogs that I pound into the log, wrap a chain around them, then hook the chain to my telehandler. As I retract the boom, the log rolls. Once I whack a bunch off the normal turner works fine. The way I'm securing the chain is sketch at best.

I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of a bit or clamp that pounds into a log, with a clevis to hook a chain to. Am I dreaming or does the tool exist. I'd prefer to just buy it, but I'm not averse to making a few in the shop. Finding the time is the tough part.

Thanks,

Stu
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

kelLOGg

What's a telehandler? A pic would help clarify your system for me. 
Thanks,
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

charles mann

Quote from: kelLOGg on October 20, 2018, 05:18:31 AM
What's a telehandler? A pic would help clarify your system for me.
Thanks,
Bob
Telescopic forklift, in which 99.99% are all/rough terrain. 
Think of a crane boom with forks instead of a block and tackle, and mounted on a jcb backhoe with no bucket, hoe and the crane boom doesnt traverse. 
CAT, JCB, SKYTRAK, JLG and numerous others make some form of rough terrain telescopic fork truck. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Bruno of NH

Buy just the hook from logrite
The mega hook
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

DbltreeBelgians

You're not dreaming, it does exist. Might have to zoom in on picture as it 
kinda blends in with the bark but this is one of 2 that I have and they work great.

Brent  

<b

r>

Sixacresand

I used that method when had a WM LT10.  But I could not ever get turned just right. Either too far or not far enough.  So I came up with idea depicted in the drawing, where I could lift the log and easily turn it wIth can't hook.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

chet

I installed a clevis onto the hook of an old wooden can't hook I no longer use. Then use a high lift jack and the adapted hook to roll the oversized logs and cants. Using this method I can easily roll a log "just enough", and flip large cants without beating up the cant or the mill. This method is actually fairly quick and great on my back.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

mike_belben

Quote from: Sixacresand on October 21, 2018, 06:43:52 AM
I used that method when had a WM LT10.  But I could not ever get turned just right. Either too far or not far enough.  So I came up with idea depicted in the drawing, where I could lift the log and easily turn it wIth can't hook.

Thats a great concept.  Couple other ways it could work with a bit more positive control..
Switch out the pulley block for an old garage chainfall.  Put a chain grab clevis on the working end and loop that under the log, grabbing the slack end snug to make the basket, then come along it up.  Itll make a continous loop that revolves until it tries to suck up the hook. You just back out the slack and regrab.  I think a full wrap around the log  (540 degrees) would give you 360 rotation. 
You could also use 120 roller chain and a 120 sprocket welded onto the hub body of a ratcheting strap winch.  The type on the side of flatbed semi trailer.  Use a nut and bolt as a master link to set the length and a trucker bar to click click the log around.   
Either should have fine enough control to land right on the mark.  The chainfall could actually reverse if you went too far.  Strap winch is a one way overrunning clutch but cheap and easy to buy on a trip to town. Chainfalls are getting rare. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

...i think mac or matco makes a really good engine hoist leveller, works on a ratchet.  Very slow ratio but same idea.  Probably big $. 
Praise The Lord

LeeB

Chainfalls getting rare? We use them all the time at work. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

Lots of them on amazon. I have a really old one at home. No brake on it. Cast iron body. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

maple flats

I just bought one to use in my shop last Spring.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

mike_belben

In my life they seem to be.  

I used to come across them all the time for next to nothing, and see them in the scrap yard often.  Havent seen one up for grabs in years.  I think cheap electric winches are replacing them in homeowner type environments.  Electric cranes, whether on jibs or gantry,  had long since replaced them at the corporate places i have worked.  As a maintenance guy i hung quite a few dayton electric cranes, and tossed quite a few dead ones.  Corporate culture.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!