iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

550XP Failures

Started by Jay Macdonald, December 12, 2018, 10:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Macdonald

Our organization purchased 250 550XP saws in 2016. They were put into service in 2018 and we have experienced multiple issues with starting, idling, hot starts and now we have multiple engine failures. We have disassembled four saws and found one common theme premature ring ware. As a result of the excessive end gap created 90 to 100 thousands we have what looks like crank problems resulting from blow by. None of the affected saws had more than ten hours run time. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

bwstout

I bought one in 16 also and within a couple of months had the same issue ring collapsed and piston and jug scared. Put a new one on so for has been running ok but I don't use it as much now as before.
home built mill

sawguy21

What are you cutting and under what conditions? What oil and mix ratio are you using? The 550XP has been out for a while and overall has a good track record, all of a sudden one operator has multiple failures in a short time. headscratch
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jay Macdonald

The failures were from multiple locations under a variety of conditions. In all but one instance the only engine damage was the ring wear. All of the affected saws were built within a ten week time period. I will try and attach a picture of the ring

DelawhereJoe

I used to drive a Kenworth, they had bad rings in them but would fail after it was out of warranty, they knew it too because it was sent out as a service advisory that the rings would fail sometime after 140k miles. Bad rings are out there and no matter who makes what engine the parts come from elsewhere.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

sawguy21

Whose engine was in the Kenworth? Jay, it certainly sounds like a bad batch of rings from your description. I assume you notified Husqvarna and that they are on top of it.

barbender

Toyota had a recall a few years back over substandard rings. My mom's Camry got an engine overhaul at around 100K on Toyota for it. My dad always complained about the oil consumption up until that😊
Too many irons in the fire

DelawhereJoe

I want to say it was a small 190hp Cat in it,  in a Kenworth T300
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

HolmenTree

Quote from: Jay Macdonald on December 12, 2018, 04:35:46 PM
The failures were from multiple locations under a variety of conditions. In all but one instance the only engine damage was the ring wear. All of the affected saws were built within a ten week time period. I will try and attach a picture of the ring
Post a serial # if you can. I had a brand new 2016 550XP that had a air leak causing a lean condition. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sawguy21

He says there is no piston/cylinder damage which to me doesn't point to an air leak.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Jay Macdonald on December 12, 2018, 10:53:09 AM
Our organization purchased 250 550XP saws in 2016. They were put into service in 2018 and we have experienced multiple issues with starting, idling, hot starts and now we have multiple engine failures. We have disassembled four saws and found one common theme premature ring ware. As a result of the excessive end gap created 90 to 100 thousands we have what looks like crank problems resulting from blow by. None of the affected saws had more than ten hours run time. Has anyone experienced anything similar?
S
Quote from: sawguy21 on December 12, 2018, 10:18:56 PM
He says there is no piston/cylinder damage which to me doesn't point to an air leak.

sawguy21, I think you missed his original post...multiple engine failures with excessive ring wear under 10 hrs of operation. Crank failures ( can't just blame blow by on that, but blow by can be considered a air leak)
Piston ring grooves can be damaged from excessive ring wear.
Also bad idle, hard start....sounds like a  air leak somewhere.

Jay Macdonald

There was one complete piston failure that was had a crank seal leak that was found during the leak down test. The other saws have evidence of excessive blow buy at the ring pin.

John Mc

Quote from: Jay Macdonald on December 12, 2018, 10:53:09 AM
Jay - what is your organization?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawdusty1

His organization is Husqvarna product bashing and defamation Inc.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

John Mc

Quote from: sawdusty1 on December 20, 2018, 03:59:47 AM
His organization is Husqvarna product bashing and defamation Inc.
I was kind of wondering that myself, but was giving the benefit of a doubt until I heard more. Must be an interesting operation to buy 250 saws - likely all bought at once, since they were all made within a 10 week time period - then lets them sit for a couple of years before they put them into service.
Maybe it did happen. Some of the early 550XPs had some teething pains, but I'd certainly like to know more.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

I was wondering the same . Three posts and left the building.
 250 saws is one big order all at once, I like to know what organization this is and more information on the fuel mix for rings to wear that bad over a few hours.

Jay Macdonald

For starters, I am not bashing Husqvarna. I have a serious problem and I am looking for solutions. The local dealer has not been able to provide a solution. Prior to purchasing the saws, a test was conducted and five test saws were run for 50 hours in a variety of conditions. After the testing was complete the saws were disassembled and checked for wear. All five saws were in great condition and all measurements were within specification. To date I have 14 ring failures and I need to know if this has been a problem for anyone else. As you can see from the photo below the ring wear is not consistent from saw to saw. Any positive feedback would be appreciated. 

Serial Number ranges 1100357-3900540 with most failures starting with 2700

Pine Ridge

I'd have to look and see what year i bought my 550xp, can't remember . I would buy another in a heartbeat, no problems from mine, starts, runs and cuts great.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Pine Ridge

smiley_fiddler smiley_fiddler

Allar

Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Joe_

I work at a saw mill n we have 3 of the 550XP  that we use every day... I'm a husky fan... but so far the 550XP that we use has not been very reliable. Cold starts are difficult n even sometimes when they are warm. We have not looked into why... we just go buy another one when it gets too bad🤣

luap

Starting problem complaints were common on the 550xp when people first got them, Turns out these people were not reading the manual on the starting procedure. If you have this saw and are having trouble starting it- read the manual. I have this saw and it performs excellent. No problem starting hot or cold.

Orange

I can appreciate not wanting to share his employer. I do like guessing, though!

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that all 250 saws are not run by the same person, or even running fuel mixed by the same person, and in all likelihood are operated and mostly maintained by folks that have minimal experience and training?

Is this a new venture or do you have similar experience with another model of saw that has held up better?

Sorry I can't really help regarding the mechanics, but I'm wondering if the problem could actually be addressed through training. With 250 saws in service I'd be amazed if you didn't see a few premature failures but 14 does seem to be getting excessive.

Pine Ridge

Buying 250 chainsaws, waiting 2 years to put them in use, hhmmm. The problems that are described, hhmmm. I would have husqvarnas corporate headquarters on speed dial if it were me.

chet

Quote from: Pine Ridge on July 20, 2019, 04:23:32 PM
Buying 250 chainsaws, waiting 2 years to put them in use, hhmmm. 
If I were to venture a guess, these were a government purchase.

Quote from: Jay Macdonald on July 05, 2019, 11:59:49 AM
 Prior to purchasing the saws, a test was conducted and five test saws were run for 50 hours in a variety of conditions. After the testing was complete the saws were disassembled and checked for wear. 
Again pointing to a government purchase. 

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!