iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What did you all make for Christmas

Started by doc henderson, January 01, 2019, 12:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Since I finally figured out the easy way to get pics from my phone into the gallery, and we have been dancing around this a little anyway thought I would start this thread

<br

Happy New Year!!!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GAB

To you and all FF Members I wish you all a Happy and Prosperous New Year.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

No pictures, so maybe it did not happen.  

I made a suet feeder holder out of some cedar and a long oversized ruler used to record the grand daughters height.  It was made from quarter sawn white oak.

Neighbor wanted a couple of doors to install onto rolling tracks for a closet.  We made those from white oak also.

Doc,
What is the last item pictured?

:new_year:

doc henderson

sorry.  Those are two cutting boards for my brother-in-laws.  one with his logo for his co and the other for my jeep loving other brother in law.  felt like I was getting carried away with pics so used a two in one photo.  We have a laser engraver.  spalted maple and walnut.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

other pics may help.  9 x 13 x 1,5 inches each

this is before sanding and finish

WV Sawmiller

Nothing that fancy. just a set of wood blocks and such for my 2 y/o grandson to play with. I will say if he has as much fun playing with them as I did making them we will both be real happy.

Of course we dumped them out for him to play with a he got up and tripped over one and my wife and I heard him say "Stupid Block." We thought that was funny for a 2 y/o. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Most the stuff we get our kids these days leave nothing to the imagination.  This  is how kids learn to solve problems and "make" new things.  A genius is someone who can solve problems in ways that have never been done before.   When he is older, it might just get him out in the wood shop with grandpa!  Now who is the genius. :laugh:.  good work WV

doc henderson

I don't want to get in trouble but I  made this for myself.  I got a couple stihl shop stools and the vinyl cover came apart,  I have a buddy boy scout dad who does leather.   I recovered the stools.

My wife never did get that saw to start!   smiley_blush lol

WV Sawmiller

I was in charge of our housing and maintenance on a project in Africa and we had a metal grate over a narrow runoff ditch in the driveway to one our apartments. the cover was metal and almost directly under a neighbor's bedroom window. The grate was not level and rattled/clanked every time someone drove over it. Our guards and drivers drove over it several times a night and would wake up the neighbor who was irate. We really wanted to be good neighbors and I struggled on how to fasten it down or muffle it with rubber or such. I finally gave up and called my metal worker contractor to come look at it with me and showed him the problem and asked how he could fix it. He took one look and said "Put wood down". The ditch was only about a foot wide and 12-14 ft long. It cost us almost nothing to put down a bunch of 2"X8"X 12" blocks side by side. They were cheap and near silent.

I heat with wood we pass through a coal chute door. Used to take 3 people to get wood in. I'd pass it in to our daughter standing in a chair who would pass to our son to go fill the wood rack and they fought tooth and nail as teenagers and tweens do. I struggled with how to make a wood box I could fill by myself from outside then come in and lower. I was looking at it and a 16 y/o kid whose parents moved during the year and he was living with us through the remainder school year came by. He asked what I was doing and I told him I was trying to figure how fix the wood problem. He looked and said "Make a raised wood box". I did that afternoon out of scrap lumber laying around and we are still using it 20 years later. I made the bottom about waist high and I don't even have to bend over to pick up the firewood. I can throw in nearly a weeks worth of wood at one trip. I could not see the forest for the trees.

I understand we American's spent millions developing a pen that would write in outer space for our astronauts to use. The Russians used a pencil. We make things too complicated sometimes when simple answer are often staring us right in the face.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

My daughter wanted a bench where my grandkids could sit and put on/take off their shoes and a rack for their coats and book bags. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

Larry

I learned how to make Christmas ornaments this year.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

doc henderson

Is that walnut and maple, how did you add the color?  Unless it's and old family secret?

Larry

The last one is mesquite, bloodwood, and maple.  The red and green in all of the ornaments is died poplar veneer, something I get on ebay. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Jeff

I spent an entire day and made Troll pies, froze and vacuum packed them for gifts, along with the surprise second gift that went with each pie of a small jar of gravy.  

I also made something for the newest member of the family that some of you may have met at the pigroast, my Son's girlfriend Brandy.  This is her opening what I made for her.

swissrolls - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

Very Funny.  You guys seem to have fun at your house.

curved-wood

Quote from: Larry on January 01, 2019, 09:37:49 PM

Those ornements are really nice 

bags

I make 400-500 of these candle holders, lamps and patio tables through the year from mostly aspen scraps from the mill and sell'em at Christmas time.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Nice wooden gifts!!
And Jeff, you did good too!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hilltop366

I turned a small bowl for my sister, forgot to take a picture.

Dan_Shade

Quote from: Larry on January 01, 2019, 09:37:49 PM

Larry, these are very nice. 
Are they hollow?  If so  what do you use to hollow them out? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

47sawdust

Bedside table for my wife

Not woodworking but a metal bird feeder for my Grandson and his family-

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Larry

Dan, yes they are hollow.  The first ones had a wall thickness of around a 1/4".  As my skills improved, the last ornaments had a wall thickness of 1/16" or a bit more.  Most folks were impressed by how light weight they were.

My hollowing tool is a piece of HSS that I brazed to a 1/4" rod.  Picture is the business end.

The overall tool.

With the tool being so small I can slip inside a 5/16" hole to start hollowing.

A friend gave me some carbide chips used to re-tip saw blades.  Last week I made a new set of tools using the carbide chips, but I haven't tried them out yet.

doc henderson

Dan_Shade

I'm very good at having catches when hollowing end grain.  I tried a termite tool, but it still catches! 

Richard Raffin makes it look really easy. :-d

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

bwstout

Made this rolling pin for my oldest daughter

Here it is in action some cathead biscuits

made this one for my youngest daughter (have 4 of them)

Made this for daughter #3

everthing is made from pecan and and  a few pieces  of walnut on the cutting board and rolling pin.

home built mill

thecfarm

WDH

bwstout

Made this rolling pin for my oldest daughter ( I have 4 of them)

here is its in action make some "old cathead biscuits

<br

Made this one for Youngest

made this table for # 3

this for #2

home built mill

bwstout

Sorry double posted not sure how to deleted the first post  the bowls are out of spaluted  sycamore every thing else is pecan
home built mill

Weekend_Sawyer

That's all right, it was worth looking at twice!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

FLPINERAT

Christmas present for me....missed the deadline, ain't done yet.

Walnut body maple top

Getn close..workn on the walnut finish now. Other stuff goes in quick.

WDH

JV

My two grandsons 9 and 13 were here part of the day.  After I fixed a big breakfast of waffles and a plate of bacon, we did a little project.  I helped them make a wren house from some scrap pieces.  Watching them was my Christmas present.  I hope to pass a little appreciation for woodworking along.  The oldest was going to paint it when he got home.  

:)

John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

hturner12

See what you guys did , my first project was a simple platform  bed. Built  in  the backyard with limited tools

Crooked lumber

85 year old headbord .

That just material here the best thing  a memory and education how a tree  becomes lumber

Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

WV Sawmiller

Looks like some fine help you have in training there. Looks like the bed should work too. One suggestion I would have for future use or modification is to build drawers under the bed to take advantage of that space instead of it just becoming a dust bunny farm.

We had a small extra bedroom in a house in NC and we took on an exchange student so my wife drew up plans for a single, captain's style bed with 2-36" and 3-24" drawer units on each side. When done we had as much storage in the bed as we would have had in a dresser and chest of drawers on the same footprint as a single bed. The woodworker who made it for us had built all the rest of our furniture made it for us and he even added a bookcase headboard for more storage. It survived 7 exchange students, 3 moves, a couple of long term houseguests (Students whose families moved in their senior years who stayed with us to finish school here.) and my oldest granddaughter has now claimed it as her room when she spends time with us.
Howard Green

Texas Ranger

Quote from: JV on January 04, 2019, 05:16:10 PM
My two grandsons 9 and 13 were here part of the day.  After I fixed a big breakfast of waffles and a plate of bacon, we did a little project.  I helped them make a wren house from some scrap pieces.  Watching them was my Christmas present.  I hope to pass a little appreciation for woodworking along.  The oldest was going to paint it when he got home.  

Same with my grandson, he took it home, his mother painted it, and he never came to the shop again.   Nothing electronic involved.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

hturner12

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 06, 2019, 10:07:26 PM
  Looks like some fine help you have in training there. Looks like the bed should work too. One suggestion I would have for future use or modification is to build drawers under the bed to take advantage of that space instead of it just becoming a dust bunny farm.

We had a small extra bedroom in a house in NC and we took on an exchange student so my wife drew up plans for a single, captain's style bed with 2-36" and 3-24" drawer units on each side. When done we had as much storage in the bed as we would have had in a dresser and chest of drawers on the same footprint as a single bed. The woodworker who made it for us had built all the rest of our furniture made it for us and he even added a bookcase headboard for more storage. It survived 7 exchange students, 3 moves, a couple of long term houseguests (Students whose families moved in their senior years who stayed with us to finish school here.) and my oldest granddaughter has now claimed it as her room when she spends time with us.
Great suggestion  on the drawers underneath. Those if us old enough to remember owning a waterbed remember that setup well. With all the rain we had barely  had enough time to finish that one. 
If mt grandson lived  closer I would have a helper. I did have a little piece of bark where I tried to mill a chinaberry limb here. That what  he took home  with him.  When my wife talked  to her mom  new years he was out there wife could hear him still talking about it, they live in Tx
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

doc henderson

you know, everyday is supposed to be like Christmas, so feel free to keep putting your pics and stories up.  I made this for my great Niece a few years back.  it was a standing dead oak in my wife's aunts front yard.  Aunt Judy lived there with her mom, my wife's grandma.  Judy developed liver cancer and in her last week she asked if I would cut this down.  It was beautifully spalted oak.  We gave this to Harper at Christmas and she would not get out of it.  We typed up a letter of prominence that she does not understand now but that the tree the rocker was made from spanned 5 generations

lxskllr

I celebrate jul, and the jul season's over when I say it is. It starts a week after Thanksgiving, and ends some time in January. No earlier than the 18th, which was my father's birthday, but usually til the 31st  ;^)

That's a good looking chair. All I've made is a mess. Still cutting on my oak, and cutting vines and crap at work. I've long been interested in wood carving, but I'm not particularly artistic. It's just a frustrating experience. My father wasn't good at that stuff either. He tried woodworking, and gave it hell, but when I see his creations, all I can do is shake my head  :^D  At least he tried, and enjoyed himself  :^)

WV Sawmiller

I had seen you mention the Jul holidays and gifts several times and assumed it was just another name for Christmas. I see it is a longer period of time and sounds like a Scandinavian background. I think I have heard several of our exchange students which included 2 Finns, A Noggie and a Swede as well as 2 Germans mention that term so I assume that is your background.
Howard Green

lxskllr

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 07, 2019, 06:44:40 PM
  I had seen you mention the Jul holidays and gifts several times and assumed it was just another name for Christmas. I see it is a longer period of time and sounds like a Scandinavian background. I think I have heard several of our exchange students which included 2 Finns, A Noggie and a Swede as well as 2 Germans mention that term so I assume that is your background.
It's an affectation really. My heritage is almost 100% German, but I've taken an interest in Scandinavia; primarily through snus, but also through a good friend that's of Norwegian ancestry.
I'm not Christian, but I love the Christmas season. Cold air that bites your face, long nights, good whisky, and tasty treats. Also, greens in the house, warm spices, and a fire in the stove. Go outside, and the sky's crystal clear. It rewards those who persevere through the cold. Farther north(Scandinavia perhaps), they have the magic of northern lights, which I haven't been fortunate enough to see.
One of my fondest memories is from years ago. It was winter, and I stayed at work very late to play Doom cause I had donated my computer to work since it could be put to better use there. I went outside to smoke a cigarette, and we had a bit of freezing rain. It coated the sycamore in the front yard, and it sparkled under the soft light of the country store across the street. It was magic. No one was out driving. Just a quiet cold night, and a sparkling sycamore  :^)
In short, I guess I consider this time a celebration of winter. There's some hardship, but if you push through, you can find some real magic in the world  :^)

WV Sawmiller

I spent a couple of years in southern Norway (Kristiansand) on a project there in 1987-1989 and my wife took a year off to join me. On the way home from Oslo after picking her up we stopped to let her take pictures of an old cemetery in the deep snow which had some real character and we saw the best example of the northern lights then we saw our entire time there. 

I have worked, lived and vacationed all over the world and we found unique and wonderful features in every place we visited. Some of them were largely overlooked by the people who lived there and took them for granted.
Howard Green

OHBucknut

cherrywoody

samandothers

Cherry wood that gun rack looks heavy!   Look very nice too as does the rest of your work.  You were busy!

doc henderson

Well sam you don't want anyone to run off with it! lol.  Very nice work.

WDH

doc henderson

This is what I made for my beer brewing and drinking buddies for Christmas a couple years ago.  I only have a few...

live edge ERC with Uncle Eric's Brew wood burned on the side.  before and partly the reason I got my laser engraver.

samandothers

Thought about that weight thing too as I was typing it.

Very nice 6 pack carrying device!  Will not deuterate from condensation.  The live edge gives it a nice look!

doc henderson

in the old days "heavy" was a quality thing, was teasin ya Sam.  lol I try to make things that are useful, but if they look to good, my family puts them on a shelf and look at them.  there is green felt in the bottom of each compartment to make it look a little classy.

eastman03

Wow! Some great work here guys, inspirational.
I made some bottle openers in the style of large musky lures for friends and fellow fishermen.  Cedar wood. Lexan Lip. Airbrushed. .092 stainless steel tig welding rod acts as the pivot to crack the bottle open.  Finished with two coats of epoxy.

thecfarm

Any chance of donating them for the Christmas Contest this year?  ;)   ;)   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!