iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hewin' in the mornin'

Started by Brad_bb, January 18, 2019, 03:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Professor

A good dog may be your best friend come what may.  Much better than a Hitlery........

Brad_bb

Hewed another timber today.  An 8.25x8.25 x 17'.  Since I hadn't done it for 6 weeks, boy was I breathing hard the first day(first face) I hewed.  The second day was a lot better and I got the other two faces scored and hewed.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

jimparamedic

Great looking timbers. Sure won't need a gym if you do that a lot.

tule peak timber

Brad, do you think the more expensive axes are worth the money? Your work looks great !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Brad_bb

Brad_bb

Quote from: tule peak timber on April 18, 2019, 09:08:12 AM
Brad, do you think the more expensive axes are worth the money? Your work looks great !
I bought my Gransfors 1900 hewing axe from Forestry Suppliers.  I think they are the only vendor for them in the US.  They carry right and left single grind for $330.  Are you calling that expensive?  It's worth getting the right shape, and weight axe that works for you.  I like this one, so It's worth it for me. If I were charging someone for this kind of work, It wouldn't take long at all for that axe to pay for itself.  It's good steel.  

Thanks, I'm getting better each time.  We still need to sand this one.  It takes some of the roughness off but still has all the character.  I think they will end up getting oiled with Heritage Natural Finishes Oil.  I'm uploading a video of making this beam now.  Should be up within an hour.

tule peak timber

I will look forward to it !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Brad_bb

All of this footage is sped up to some degree in order to shorten the video.  Still it's a longer video than I usually like to do.
Hewing another Walnut Beam April 2019 - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!