iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making a dedicated resaw out of my LT10?

Started by Dad2FourWI, January 18, 2019, 11:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dad2FourWI

Hey all,

I am looking for a way to make more efficient use of my small logs and have talked to several people on how efficient resaws can be at making usable lumber out of small size logs.

After I blew out my back lifting logs on my LT10, my boss (aka my wife) decided to move to a used LT40 and life is great!!!

...but now, I am looking at my old, trusted LT10 and wondering if I can build a belt drive track system and turn it into a dedicated resaw.....

Does anyone have any ideas??? Yes, no, easy to do, no-better to sell and purchase a used resaw, etc.......

Any and all feedback is very much appreciated!!

Thanks,
-Dad2FourWI

LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Southside

My 35 has a Wood-Mizer resaw attachment on the bed full time now. It gives me the capacity to make lap siding or flat resawing at anytime. I fixed a 10' section of skate rollers to the infeed and outfeed so basically throw on a 16' board and walk away. I am going to add an additional hold down roller on the outfeed so the last board will always clear the band on it's own.  

This setup provides for a much wider throat than a standard resaw and provides me with a backup sawmill should I have an issue with the 70. I ordered a couple carbide bands to run on the mill as anything that gets there is clean, should make for faster sawing and longer band changes. 

At some point I plan to add a remote start and auto clutch to the setup so I can start and stop the mill from the controls at the 70.  

Even if their resaw attachment won't fit your mill out of the box it would be an easy retro fit to make it work. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dad2FourWI

Thanks Southside Logger.... I will get a hold of WM and see if they have any idea just how much of a retro fit it will take to get this to work with a LT10.

Thanks for the info as well.... I agree, I think that the resaw capability would help to free up the main mill and keep it on the bigger and better lumber logs!!

-Dad2FourWI

Southside

If you can makes lap siding you will find the resaw makes more $ per BFT than it could as a sawmill in the same lumber.  Also as a resaw the throughput is much higher since the band can be cutting wood 100 % of the time unlike when using the mill as a headsaw. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

If you put a flat conveyer belt under your saw and the saw goes up and down [set works] that would be a very handy machine.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: moodnacreek on January 19, 2019, 07:17:22 PM
If you put a flat conveyer belt under your saw and the saw goes up and down [set works] that would be a very handy machine.
You could pick up one or more free tread mills off of CraigsList to use as a conveyor.  Put a cleat on it to push the board and rollers on top to keep it down until it goes through the blade?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dad2FourWI

moodnacreek, that is exactly what I am thinking... I can see it in my head! LOL!

ljohnsaw.... Ohhhhh, I like that idea! I kept thinking too complex and that is a great start!!! Thanks!

Any more ideas?? I appreciate the help and thinking out of the box.... and seeing things differently... that is a real benefit!!

Many thanks and take care,
-Dad2FourWI

Thank You Sponsors!