iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

jd440 suddenly stops running while at idle

Started by Frozendozer, January 28, 2019, 12:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frozendozer

my old John Deere 440 runs great, it winches the wood in perfect and pulls the logs to the landing like a hot *DanG, however when it's been idling for a long time, as when i am hooking up choker's it sometimes just shut down.  Starting up  iafterwards can be a problem.   I look at the manual and it points to fuel problems.  could it be a fuel pump?  Any ideas?

Firewoodjoe

ilog4u2

My first thought was the glass ball on top of the injection pump. It's a small check valve that's easy to remove, it's part of the return circuit. It will run without it and they are still available from Deere . Sometimes they fail to the point that they won't run or start at all.

snowstorm

start by draining the sump in the tank. takes a allen wrench. some broke the fuel pickup tube. if so braze a compression fitting into the top of the tank and use a new tube. dosent take much to plug that fuel line its so small. if it still has 2 round fuel filters throw it as far as you can. buy the filter base for the square glass filter. the transfer pump could be it. some you could take it apart to clean the screen. some were sealed. i was in whitehorse 2 yrs ago would have liked to look that river boat over had i had the time

Frozendozer

Frozendozer

snow storm - you should have had a look, it's pretty interesting and the tour is about N hour.    It was all powered by firewood.

tacks Y

What do you do to restart? Do you use the lever on the fuel pump? How do the lines at the pivot look?

Frozendozer

I pulled the transfer pump and disassembled it.  Lots of dirt was inside as well as corrosion.  I recently purchased this machine and now finding all the sins of the past.  I cleaned it up and tried it out, however I think it's too far gone.  the lever moves about 3/4 inch before it moves the diaphragm.  I got a new one on order should be here Friday, unfortunately we have -40 c forecast for that day.

I use the little lever on the side to pump up fuel.  when I tested this it did not create any suction.   I also spun the motor and the pump did not create any suction

the plan is to install a fuel filter before the pump and deal with the crud in the tank.

I checked the line at the pivot and it appears to be weeping a bit.  the fuel line looks like a hydraulic hose that has some of the outer layer ribbed off exposing the wire reinforcing.  I have plans to replace this soon as well .

I hope I am luvky on this

snowstorm

if there is rust in the tank. put a magnet on a wire in the tank. that will collect the rust. try draining it first. there is a hole in the skid plate to reach the drain. why i say ditch the round filters. you will almost always have fuel running all over the starter when changing them. square glass filter is much better 

Frozendozer

magnet to collect the rust, great idea I certainly will do that as well as try to drain the worst of the crud out.   I got two round filter above the starter and at this time they will stay there as I covered the starter in plastic beforeIj fiddle with them. 

the online filter I will install on the suction side of the transfer pump, so any crud doesn't wipe it out. 

come breakup I will take the time to pull the tank and get it cleaned. 

Klicker

Check the Banjo bolts  near the filters . don't ask why. Rod
2006 LT 40 HD

snowstorm

the only way to get the fuel tank out is to split the machine in to. its not a easy job

Brian w

I know this may sound strange but if you have a electric shutoff on the injector pump make sure that the wire's are good and connection is good when I first bought my loader it would do the same thing when I would idle it down and I was losing power to my injection pump and it was shutting down the fuel I would have to loosen lines and get the air out and all

Frozendozer

Thanks for the heads up on the injector pump electrical connection, I did check them and made sure that the wires were in good shape.  It appeared to be ok at first inspection.  I thought since the transfer pump is not moving fuel, then perhaps I will solve this issue first.   

if it continues I will move down the line and visit this possibility as well.  I hope z new fuel pump will fix the problem

mike_belben

To be sure, isolate your fuel transfer pump and verify it.  Put a new clean piece of suction hose (rubber air line works fine) into a fuel can and see if itll pump it out the other side.  

If that proves good its time to see if your issue is upstream [tank draw straw, clogged elbows, prefilters, delaminated suction hoses or pulling in air] or downstream [possibly a stuck open overflow valve not letting pressure build up, or a jammed/frozen shutoff lever etc]

I assume any filters have been ruled out already. 
Praise The Lord

Frozendozer

New transfer pump solved the issue.   starts up now and keeps running .   I was worried as I don't have much experience with these machines, however it turned out all right.  Thanks all for your advice.

BurkettvilleBob

lift pump on mine won't prime until you crack a bleed screw on the filter housing.  It has the square glass filter though.

Frozendozer

the replacement pump is totally different then the pump that came of.  It works great, spent to afternoon skidding with not a problem.  NAPA  rocks .  total cost about $112 Canadian . 

snowstorm

glad its running... i would never say napa rocks often times the part from the dealer is close to the same price

Frozendozer

nearest dealer I got is probably over a 1000 miles away, serious.

Thank You Sponsors!