iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hauling gear/tools on the skidder..

Started by jwh f-100, February 15, 2019, 02:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwh f-100

So here's my scenario. Private log owner.  We store the skidder in a garage approx 1 mile from where I'm cutting this winter.  Cutting and skidding myself.  I'm thinking it would be very handy to have a smallish off road trailer or a box to attach to the blade to take gear and tools back in the woods with me..  

Just curious if someone does something similar??  Got any pics??  8)
Why buy it when you can build it.

thecfarm

I would think you could build a box,put a length of chain on each corner, weld a piece of metal on the back side of the blade and put a notch for the chain to hook onto. Leave some slack in the chain when you hook up the box,raise the blade and off you go. Lower the blade when you get in the woods and unhook and do some logging. Than when you leave the box,lower the blade on top of the box.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

starmac

I would think it would be pretty simple to build a box that you could pickup with the blade, without even getting off the machine.

The water trailers we are required to have on the sites here for any summer logging has a wheel on the front instead of a conventional hitch, so the skidder can just grab and go with the grappel.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

mike_belben

Silly little home made trailer i cant seem to do without

Praise The Lord

thecfarm

I did not see a mention of a grapple. That changes things.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

starmac

Quote from: thecfarm on February 15, 2019, 09:00:11 PM
I did not see a mention of a grapple. That changes things.
I do not know if his skidder is a grapple rig or not, I just mentioned it because we use them and you don't have to get off the machine to hook up and go.

BargeMonkey

Theres a product called the "saw haul", made by a guy in the OK ? actually a nice rig to carry a saw safely, not sure what you've got for a skidder ? I've seen guys build a box off the side on the blade, or off the arch. 

jwh f-100

Thanks for the replies folks .

It's a 440 cable skidder. I have a spot on the side for one saw and sometimes put a second saw down in the arch.. but that's it, no other goodies.. 

I like the idea of a trailer because I could also drag it with a vehicle or a side by side.. if it's covered I could lock it up overnight..

Just brainstorming.. 

Why buy it when you can build it.

mike_belben

People steal trailers too unfortunately.  

What about welding brackets to a jobox or knaack so you can pick and drop with the blade then just hook a chain or strap to make sure it stays put in transit?  You could put your cooler, saws, fuel, gear etc all in it.  Bring a foldup camp chair and youd have a nice seat and tabletop for lunch.

Paint it camo and hide it out in the bush [chained up and in front of an IR deer cam] for overnight parking.  
Praise The Lord

GRANITEstateMP

If you want to do a trailer, I've seen more than one receiver hitch tube welded to a cable skidder butt plate, heck a seem them welded to a blade or 2 also!  Then you can move just about anything around.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

newoodguy78

Mike you had the same idea as me with the gang box. It impressive what you can fit in one. The overall toughness and fact they can be locked up and are weather proof are added perks as well. I've used mine as a jobsite workbench more than once. 
If you look around they can usually be had used for less than the cost of materials.
If security is a real issue the ones that hide the hinge when closed are very difficult to get into when locked up.

starmac

Gang boxes probably stop 99.9% of thieves, but I have two that were broken into.
The first one they ground the ends off the hinge pins and just opened it backwards, easy fix.

The second one they used a cutoff saw and sawed about a 1 foot or better hole in both lid and box, cutting out the whole lock, not so easy fix.

snowstorm

you should put the side covers on. before a stick goes where it shouldnt. most of the old 440 had a small tool box in the rear

Riwaka

Trailer on the back of the skidder. 
Leave the pickup at the garage (have an alarm/ gps locator and trail cam on the pickup/ garage)

Have an alarm/ hitch lock/ trail cam on the trailer if you go down the trail and out of site, if in a theft area.

Timbren suspension  - rough ground light trailer road suspension
Welcome to Trailer Alarms, LLC - Mobile & Portable Security Products

Probably want a coupler/ hitch & lock up to the job.
BULLDOG - Adjustable Couplers

https://www.provenlocks.com/collections/2-trailer-coupler-locks   (lessen the risk of a passing sxs  taking the trailer etc.)

epirb/ spot messenger etc if working out of cell range in a ravine alone.

Thank You Sponsors!