iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Enjoying My New 346XP

Started by g_man, January 23, 2011, 07:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

I don't get the amount of work done in a day that most of you do but I can still appreciate a good saw when I see it. I'm loving this new 346XP limbing this fir. Nothing new to anybody that has one but I just had to repeat it again. Here are a couple pictures of my landowner small scale logging operation.

JDeere

g_man,  I have had a 346XP for a couple years and it is my favorite limbing saw. A friend convinced me to try a 20" bar instead of the 18" and all I can say is, "what a difference." When limbing softwood it will save you a lot of time and reaching.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

g_man

You may be right. I have this one set up with a 16" b&c. Trying to make it light and manuverable. Which it is. I don't mind bending I'm short anyway. I enjoy the lightness when I get into the top and have to saw chest high for a while. I have a 20" bar from another saw that will fit on it. I should try it. I may find I like it better.

banksiana

What does the XP signify on those saws?  I am in the market for a new saw.  I use it mainly to open trail for my ATV when doing forest inventory and for cutting up about 8 cords of firewood a season. 

mad murdock

eXtra Power.  Husky's new saws have what they term as X torque technology in the engines, which gives you a wider powerband than before, i.e. more torque at lower rpms.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

g_man

I was going to tell him Xpensive.  :)
But thats not fair to Husky. You get what you pay for in this case.

Autocar

I just bought a new 395xp with tax I believe it was close to thousand bucks. Great saws, my 084's and 88's ran up to $2100.00 . My opinion for what its worth I will only buy Huskys there light I like that
Bill

JDeere

Quote from: banksiana on January 24, 2011, 11:46:51 AM
What does the XP signify on those saws?  I am in the market for a new saw.  I use it mainly to open trail for my ATV when doing forest inventory and for cutting up about 8 cords of firewood a season. 

banksiana,  The one thing XP tells you is that it is a professional grade saw and probably the only thing you will see loggers using, at least around here. Husqvarna makes about 3 different grades of saws and XPs are the top of the line.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

thecfarm

Looks good.How's big your tractor,hp size?Looks like a Farmi winch on the back. What's all the fir being used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Yes with all cold. good time to cut.I use 372 xp with my small job and john.

8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

g_man

My tractor is pretty small, only 30 hp with a Farmi JL290 winch. It handles any fir I have easily if I can get with in winching distance to it. The big ones average about 10" to 12" dbh with a few 16". Most all of the have red rot so I am just cutting them and taking what I can for saw logs and pulp before they blow over. The one in the picture is only the second one this year that didn't have rot. Looks like about 75 years old and 14" at the butt. Gives me something interesting to do and think about and keeps me happy working in the woods.

thecfarm

Does that matter the size,just have to know what you can do with it safely.Take your time and enjoy the great outdoors.As you know,you can do alot with a winch.Kinda sounds like my fir. I had one area that it got about a big as a soft ball and would break off about 3 feet high and tip over.But I did find one area that it grow great in.Was some nice looking fir.Most of my land it does not grow good on.I just about want to cut it all down and feed it to my OWB and let something else grow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!