iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: doc henderson on February 15, 2019, 01:29:10 PM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 15, 2019, 10:27:16 AM
  BTW - if I put a seat on my mill do you think a pretty young lady will come run it for me like they must do for you? It would probably be worth upgrading mills just for that. :D I better hush. My wife may see my comment. It is her 35th anniversary of her 29th birthday today so I better behave.
No! lol
Doc,

You better be careful. You know I am real sensitive about negative comments like that and you would not want to see me angry.smiley_bull_stomp

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Darrel

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 15, 2019, 11:40:59 AM
Quote from: Darrel on February 15, 2019, 10:33:59 AM
Quote from: Darrel on January 25, 2019, 10:54:24 PM
Well if you've got the plaque in the LAD, da man will probably at the very least give you a medication with a generic name ending with "statin". 
Lipitor is brand name for the generic name of simvastatin. Stay healthy sir.
Simvastatin is Zocor (Merck).  Lipitor is atorvastatin (Pfizer/Warner Lambert)
Yes, at some point I knew that. Should've looked it up before I posted. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ianab

Quote from: Magicman on February 15, 2019, 09:51:29 AMI am now taking Lipitor for cholesterol, but all of this is good news to me.

Common side effect of Lipitor is joint pain. Only affects some people, but if your shoulders etc start hurting, go back to your Doc and they can try a different drug.  It certainly didn't agree with me, but Doc switched me to Pravastatin which seems fine. 
Lipitor is the most common Statin, works for most people, and is the cheapest, so that's what they give you first. But if you are in the ~10% that it causes side effects for, there are other options. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Well at least then I would have something to blame aches and pains on except Birthdays!!  :D

Tuesday and Wednesday continue to look like washouts next week so I'll probably postpone next weeks road trip continuation until the following week.  It's hard for me to justify spending time in a motel on the customer's dime and not sawing.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DPatton

Lynn,

Glad to hear the good news and that all is well. Happy sawing!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Crossroads

It's good to hear that you've got a clean bill of health MM. I got a call to mill up some Doug fir into 2x12's I'll need to cut 100 of them if this snow ever stops. We've got over 2' this week, so it could be a bit before I am able to get the mill out. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

LeeB

Most welcome news Lynn. Glad to know your Timex is still wound tight.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

PA_Walnut

I'm gonna kickstart the weekend posts with some awesome and wide cherry milled yesterday. More on deck for today.

Fiddling with new WM 7° blades...lots of chatter. Not sure if some set is out of wack, straight outta the box (going to check some this AM), or the dust is piling-up under the blade due to going to slow. Anyone?

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

Wow, you jump started with some purdy Cherry.  I'll be anxious to see what you turn out today.  :)

Sawing speed looks too slow to me.  Also be sure that your blade tension is wound tight.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Only time I ever had that was with blades that were way over set.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

7° Turbos will with hard logs and too slow sawing speed.  I am sure that PA will experiment with his speed today. 

YellowHammer

PA,
How wide were the cuts?  7° .055 ?  Turbos? Cherry should cut like butter.  Packed sawdust means lots of gullet spillage.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

PA_Walnut

Well, I agree that it would seem to be packed dust under the blade. I ordered 7° NON-TURBO blades, but I think WM sent me Turbos anyway.

I GUARANTEE that if I push the turbos to the speed that they want on a full width cut, they will not perform...been there done that. Carbide is the only solution I have found thus far, which is why I asked for standard 7s.

This is what my "non-turbo 34's" look like on the gauge at 7°. I guess you get Turbos whether you want them or not.  :-\

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

gww

I posted yesterday but guess it got lost.  I just wanted to congratulate Magic on the good doctor report.
Cheers
gww

Magicman

Thanks to all for their well wishes.  Just getting good reports removes concern which in turn makes you feel better.  This all began with precautionary heart tests, not pain.  

Next weeks sawing is officially cancelled so I am now looking to the 25th for my next sawing.  I am hoping that I can finish that job in a week.

Jim_Rogers

I cut two posts for a timber frame repair project. they were 7x7x9'

he came and got them today.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

GAB

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 15, 2019, 07:01:14 PM
MM
I'm on the same med
Watch out it can bind you up☹
It does me and I have never had that problem before.
I do not recommend taking something for insomnia and for the bind you up syndrome at the same time.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

richhiway

Cut these oval pine cookies from a big crotch. Hope they dry without cracking to bad. They are nice table material. Cut a bunch of 2x6 and 6x6 hemlock also. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Old Greenhorn

Well my mill is pretty much snowed out until it melts, I ain't sawin' nuttin', just plowing today, but the grandsons are here and they wanted to go down to the mill, and do some sledding, so we did both.

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

OG, looks like you might have the fixins for a little bon fire if the grand kids get cold.  rich those need to dry a little slow and out of the sun and further wetting like rain ect.  I had good luck with cottonwood in a container that is kept constant humidity.  outside they split like crazy. cotton wood get a bunch of tiny end grain cracks.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Waiting for others to get pics to me of the sawing part of camp Alaska this past weekend.  her is our fire barrel with a retort inside making lump charcoal/activated charcoal.

there is locust wood in the barrel it starts by boiling off the water and you get steam, in this pic we are past that stage and producing volatile gas that burns.  In the absence of O2, we will be left with 99% pure carbon.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

That is a combine wheel burn barrel and a 30 gal mobile oil container with the lid on.  takes about 6 hours.  This is what is left.  use to make steaks or filter water and such.

I or my son will pack this in #10 paper sacks that will just fit in the chimney charcoal starter with a few wadded up newspapers.  Hotter but does not last as long as briquettes.

Magicman

It will be interesting to watch those ovals richhiway.  I have some Honey Locust cookies drying that hopefully will make a bench back.  Guess that if they crack it will be a cracked back.   ::)

doc henderson

MM you may have to see a chiropractor to get your back cracked!!! :D

doc henderson

rich, I know those are pine.  here are pics of cottonwood left out and some in my container.

been in there a few years, nice and flat.  your crotch grain may give you some trouble.  I wish you well.

Thank You Sponsors!