iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

castiron

Started by coxy, December 12, 2017, 08:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradMarks

Anybody else actually crack a skillet?  Blackened Redfish (ok, we had halibut), white hot skillet, cold fish covered with butter, and Emeril's Blackened Redfish Magic, perfect recipe for a cracked skillet ;D  Only do this outside!

Weekend_Sawyer

I've never cracked one or warped one.
I did have an imprint of the handle of one on my palm when I left it on the stove on high and tried to move it with a wet hand. ::)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WV Sawmiller

Never cracked one myself but have seen them. Don't know who did it.

Reminds me of the time my wife took her 1 qt and 1.5 qt copperware saucepans and decided to use as double boiler. Both were same diameter. She put the 1.5 qt on with water to boil then cut up a cold block of cheese and let set a couple minutes then put it on the other pot. Pretty soon water/steam bubbled out around the bottom/sides of the top pan so she moved both off the burner and let set. I still remember that loud sucking sound as the top pot was pulled into the bottom one. I had to permanently bend it to break the vacuum to get it free.

I told her good example of physics at work. Take two items same size and heat one so it expands then cool other one down so it contracts and make them fit together but when temp equalized they were well bonded. She did not appreciate the lesson or me reminding her. She gets funny that way sometimes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Weekend_Sawyer

Ha! good story. That's how I drive bearings onto a shaft.

coxy

started using my pan got a bunch of pork fat and just started frying it just don't eat to much of it at one time it comes out both ends  :D  my MIL  told my wife not to forget about to wipe oil/grease  on the out side to help season it  what is the reason to season the out side of the pan   is there such a thing as burning the pan as in not being able to cook in cause every thing will taste burnt 

Chuck White

Seasoning cast iron pots and pans takes quite a long time!

I cook eggs, with a little butter in my frying pan each morning and once in a while they'll stick a little bit, but usually come out pretty good!

When I get done frying the eggs, I take a paper towel (while the pan is still hot) and wipe the pan out, then another paper towel with a little bit of lard on it and put a light coat over the entire inside surface of the pan!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Roxie

I assumed that the outside is seasoned to prevent rust.  I only use peanut oil on my pans, and they have an attractive uniform black non-stick finish.  I also need the non-stick on the outside because I use a smaller pan to mash foods that buckle when cooked, like ham and beef steaks, and hamburgers keep a nicer shape when weighted down with a smaller pan on top of them. 

My corn bread pan is over 50 years old now.  My daughter's in law are beginning to argue over who gets the pans when I'm gone.   :D
Say when

Raider Bill

Quote from: Roxie on February 01, 2018, 07:17:38 AM
I assumed that the outside is seasoned to prevent rust.  I only use peanut oil on my pans, and they have an attractive uniform black non-stick finish.  I also need the non-stick on the outside because I use a smaller pan to mash foods that buckle when cooked, like ham and beef steaks, and hamburgers keep a nicer shape when weighted down with a smaller pan on top of them. 

My corn bread pan is over 50 years old now.  My daughter's in law are beginning to argue over who gets the pans when I'm gone.   :D

DanG it! I hate when they divvy up my gear while I'm still alive.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WLC

Nothing additional to add other than agreeing with most of what has been passed on already.  I've been collecting Griswold and old Wagner cast iron for many years.  I've cleaned and reseasoned a number of pans over the years and have found that lard or peanut oil is the best oil to use for seasoning.

I have one pan that is probably close to 130-140 years old now that belonged to my G-Grandmother.  Cooks better than any new non-stick pan being sold now.  Momma still has the same G-Grandmothers round griddle.  It's never had anything other than biscuits cooked on it and as far as I know has never had a drop of water touch it.  Just wiped off after each mornings biscuits are cooked.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

moresnow

Quote from: WLC on February 13, 2018, 02:44:20 PMIt's never had anything other than biscuits cooked on it and as far as I know has never had a drop of water touch it. Just wiped off after each mornings biscuits are cooked.

Bingo. Mine gets used daily for breakfast. Often for supper also. For years. Zero H20 ever. Wiped down/out while still warm/hot. Put the lid back on and walk away. Never has left the stovetop. Part of MY house decoration effort :D 
You won't find me on Spacebook. Haaaaaa!

Stihl 441, 009. And a well used Poulan 5020. My firewood gets used in a BK Scirocco 20 Cat stove

mike_belben

I give them a quick scrub with soap, dont tell the wife.  She is still convinced that one drop will wreck the things and make everything taste bad.  

Im sorry. When it sits around in a pile of old food on the counter for a week, a little warm water isnt cuttin it for me.  I dont put food into dirty bowls and im not gonna start putting it in scuzzy pans either. 

I wipe both sides with olive oil and store in oven also. 
Praise The Lord

Weekend_Sawyer

I burned my cast iron pot pretty bad the other day.

I filled it with water and put a chicken carcass in it to make broth, turned it on high and went outside to cut the grass.

When I saw smoke billowing out of the windows I ran back inside, shut off the stove and moved the pot to the side and then took a deep breath. Coughing and gagging I ran back outside. For the next few minutes I would run in the front door, through the house and out the back door, pegging them open. Then run back through and open a couple of windows on my way through. Smoke was coming out of every door and window of the house. I went back to mowing the grass.

When Diane came home she asked whats for dinner?
We went out.

After scraping out as much debris and caked on chicken grease as I could I put a wire wheel on my angle grinder and went over the whole thing. When I was done it looked almost new and the burned charcoally smell was almost gone. I washed it a couple of times and coated it with corn oil and seasoned it.

I used it the other day to make a pot o beans and it worked fine. I half expected to taste a bitter burned flavor but it was fine.

Oh yea, my smoke detectors work fine too.

luvmexfood

Learned this the hard way. Never leave water in a cast iron skillet and set on the counter top to soak. Course the soaking period was a month while I was gone. Came back to find water had leached thru the cast iron ruining the counter top.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Raider Bill

Glad it all worked out Jon.
Lot's of house fires start with a pot left on a stove.

petefrom bearswamp

My wife, bless her heart, has had more sets of pans than Emeril,or the late Anthony bourdain
Last batch was a 400 dollar set from Williams Sonoma guaranteed to not warp.
We were warned to not cook on high heat (what good is this?) which we have done religiously.
The centers of the frying pans were all high after the first few uses.
pieces of high priced crap.
My 2 cast iron skillets reside in our oven and I use them almost exclusively.
She is too proud to admit the design faults in the aluminum non stick pans.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

samandothers

My brother found an old pan that wa s rusted really bad.  I took it and sand blasted it.  Once he cleaned and reseasoned it was good to go!

Dave Shepard

My family has been using Revereware since just after the invention of fire. :D Never any problems. I now have my grandmother's. I would never use a non-stick pan. I also have a large collection of Griswold cast iron, but have never used any of them. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Raider Bill

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 12, 2018, 12:09:01 PM
My family has been using Revereware since just after the invention of fire. :D Never any problems. I now have my grandmother's. I would never use a non-stick pan. I also have a large collection of Griswold cast iron, but have never used any of them.
Except for frying pans and dutch ovens, all my sauce pans are Revere ware made in Rome, NY.
A couple of my cast iron pans were my Grand Mothers.

Al_Smith

Some where,Lord only knows because I don't I must have an entire double stack oven of cast iron.Muffin pans in the shape of an ear of corn,dutch oven,10" skillet that belonged to my great great grandmother etc .I hadn't been able to use them until about a year ago when the glass top counter unit got broken .Good riddance,replaced it with a resistance unit .
 I have a 12" Lodge plus two smaller skillets my lady friend donated .I clean them with just water heated to a boil in the skillet with just a brush and dry them on the burner .A little peanut oil,good to go .Nothing on this earth fries potatoes or pork chops like a cast iron skillet .

daddyscott2001

I bought a newer Lodge, and while the material was good - the casting was very rough.  I had seen a suggestion on one forum or another to use a random orbit sander to smooth out the roughness from the casting a bit and then season.  I did so and with the first attempt at seasoning, the skillet was slicker than any new fangled Teflon skillet!!!  Just another option if you have a rough one you are trying to get whipped into shape!

lxskllr

Thanks for bumping this! I got a Lodge from the thrift shop to give to my daughter as a jul gift, and forgot all about it. It's in good shape, but I wanted to wash and season it for her. She's coming down this wekend. Lodge was always my least favorite brand due to the rough casting, but that's all we've got from USA anymore if you want to buy new. Most of my stuff is Wagner that I got new when they were still around. I also have a Griswold waffle iron I picked up used somewhere.

WV Sawmiller

We did a couple of vacations with a private guide from South Africa. They cook a lot in cast iron an don open grills called a braai. We enjoyed it and Koos told us they have national contests in south Africa where they cook various dishes in cast iron using hot coals. I would love to get the job as the judge. digin1

Reminds me of the funny story about the American getting tagged to be a guest judge in India in a curry cook-off. That did not end so well for him but funny reading the reviews from the 3 judges.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Al_Smith

I paid more for the lid of that 12" Lodge than I did for the skillet .I've got a 16"  that I bought at Williamsburg pottery in Virginia and the lid at the French market in Columbus Ohio .Lord only knows where it's at  the moment .Talk about heavy .That big old thing goes on rocks in a camp fire .Talk about a huge mess of fried potatoes ,feed half the neighborhood . 8)

daddyscott2001

Quote from: lxskllr on January 07, 2019, 02:48:48 PM
Thanks for bumping this! I got a Lodge from the thrift shop to give to my daughter as a jul gift, and forgot all about it. It's in good shape, but I wanted to wash and season it for her. She's coming down this wekend. Lodge was always my least favorite brand due to the rough casting, but that's all we've got from USA anymore if you want to buy new. Most of my stuff is Wagner that I got new when they were still around. I also have a Griswold waffle iron I picked up used somewhere.
Years ago I saw a waffle iron with the stand and the joint at the back where you can flip it over (I think it was a Griswold?), they wanted $80 for it and I thought that was high.  When I got to where I could check prices (I was new to vintage cast iron then) - I was very unhappy with passing that piece up!!!

lxskllr

Quote from: daddyscott2001 on January 08, 2019, 03:24:51 PM

Years ago I saw a waffle iron with the stand and the joint at the back where you can flip it over (I think it was a Griswold?), they wanted $80 for it and I thought that was high.  When I got to where I could check prices (I was new to vintage cast iron then) - I was very unhappy with passing that piece up!!!
That's exactly what I have. Mine has the metal coil heat guards, but I think they were also made with wood on some models. That's also about what I paid. $60 or $80 are both in my head, but I got it years ago, so I can't quite remember. I do remember jumping on it cause I never saw one that cheap before. I had been looking for a waffle iron for awhile. Griswolds especially command high prices. Maybe Wagner does too anymore. They were reasonable when I bought them new.
My father had a really big pan, but I can't remember who made it. It was either Griswold or Wagner. I gave to the nurse practitioner that was caring for him when he was sick, but could still be home for a bit. It was an African woman with a large family, and she liked the pan. I figured she could put it to better use than I could. I'm sometimes regretful I gave it up, but that's silly. Better that it went to a good home, but still...

Thank You Sponsors!