iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brunton, Suunto, and Haglöf clinometers

Started by joepye, December 28, 2017, 02:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joepye

I'm wondering if any of you have opinions on the relative merits and demerits of the Brunton, Suunto, and Haglöf clinometers.  I'm referring to these and related products:

https://www.benmeadows.com/brunton-omni-slope-clinometer_s_223150/?searchterm=brunton%2bclinometer#mainProductBottom
https://www.benmeadows.com/search/suunto+clinometers/
https://www.benmeadows.com/search/haglof+electronic+clinometers/

I am mostly interested in determining tree height and angle of slope.  I realize there are cheaper (even free!) and more expensive ways to do this, but I need a toy and these are in my price range.  I've read the manuals and in theory know how they work, but won't be able to try any out before I buy.  So, any comments on ease of use, reliability, digital vs analog, etc.  My eyes aren't getting any younger, so ease of reading the results is important, too.

Thanks!

WDH

I have the suunto.  Been using it for 39 years  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

BradMarks

WDH:  39 years with the same one?  That would be pretty impressive.  Suunto is the "tried and true" instrument.  It's what I own. And compass like Pete.  Make sure you know what scale to order: %/degree or %/topog.  With degree, the baseline is 100' for direct reading equaling tree height. Less than 100', say 60', you multiply your reading by 60% to get the height. The topog model is set up for actual height reading at a 66' distance from the tree, at 66' "what you see is what you get", no calculations. Brunton is a good name but haven't used that one, and electronic clinos I am not fond of. Most electronic/and or laser instruments do poorly in rainy/foggy weather. So do some manuals also!  Just my 2!

celliott

Another vote for the suunto. Have their clino and have had a compass for years that has seen tons of use. Good quality products.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

curdog

Ron Scott

I favor the Suunto having used it for 56 years. Very durable and easy to use.

Also favor the Suunto compass, but use the Silva and Brunton also depending upon accuracy desired.
~Ron

joepye

I think I've detected a trend!  Looks like it's the Sunnto for me.  Thanks for the input.

AButton

Glad I didn't say Brunton.  Being a Geologist, that's all I have ever used. :)

SwampDonkey

Brunton and Suunto are pretty much the same with a little different casing. I worked in rain forest and Suunto would fog up, at the time the Silva brand had a clino with a popup case that didn't fog up. But we let the road layout guys use those, we always carried a Suunto. Too die hard to give in. :D  I use a Brunton compass these days. I've used all the well known brands and they only last so long, they all get bubbles in the case.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Mc

At this point, I'm using an app on my iPhone.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Southside

I prefer the Husky 372 or Franklin 5000 model personally, both allow the user to compensate the angle to 0 deg so 100% height accuracy is guaranteed, although I admit there are a couple of advantages to the models the others prefer.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!