iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler Door Problem

Started by JAGIII, December 19, 2014, 07:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAGIII

First I love my boiler!  Classic 5036 purchased new in 2012
When I go to shut my door before I engage the handle to secure the top of the door touches the opening but the bottom of the door does not.  So, air will seep in at the bottom of the door.  I there a way to adjust the door? or hinges? so it will touch evenly when shut then use handle to secure tight?

I have tried my dealer when the first overheating started from the beginning with no avail I could not get them to come out and even take a look.  They never came for a final inspection as agreed upon.  I put mine in with the help of my brother who has the same unit.  I have replaced the rope, another piece of the handle, adjusted the damper and now I see the main problem is this door alignment.  I am going to call the Manufacture as soon as they open today.  Not ranting just some background.

Thanks in advance.........

JAGIII
JAG III

upsnake

On the e classic at least, one the hinge side of the door there is an adjustment screw for the top and the bottom.

I would assume the classic has something similar, but I will let someone more knowledgeable chime in on that. :)

Do you have the operators manual for your stove that might tell you how to adjust it.
If you don't have one you can go here
http://www.centralboiler.com/ownerresources.html

You will need the serial number off your stove, but you can download your owners manual.

bandmiller2

Jag, sounds like ether your door or hinge is sprung, or the front of the furnace is warped. Do you know how it happened.?? I built my own door and without seeing yours its hard to recommend a fix. If your door is attached with bolts chances are you can adjust it. If the door is bent you need to remove it to be straightened. If you can find a good welder and metal worker to look at it, chances are its an easy fix for him. Good luck mate. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

I would have to look in my manual, but I think the doors are either identical between my 6048 and your 5036, or yours is a scaled down version. If so, the only way I could see that problem happening is if A, your door is severely warped, which is not likely, or B, one of the two hinge points on the door opening is bent. Look to see that they are both in the same position. If you have leakage, you will have serious trouble trying to keep your unit from boiling over. I had my damper stick open, and a boil over is no fun!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

It looks like your door is a smaller version of mine. The two rollers that the latch hooks to are mounted in slots, so you could try moving those closer to the main body of the boiler. I took a shot of the hinge on mine a little while ago. I think it would be pretty hard to bend these tabs. It would almost have to be a factory misalignment, but it's worth looking at.

It should have a rod running through both hinges, but my new door didn't come with one, so I used a couple of bolts. :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JAGIII

Thanks for all the information guys and suggestions.  Yes, Upsnake I have a manual but appreciate the link.  Central Boiler Manufacture says no adjustment on left side of door you can only move cam in or out to put more pressure on the door to close it which puts pressure in the middle.  Bottom right corner is problem area.

I did get my dealer and he said that I need to make the stove higher in the front to prevent creosote from getting on my door and running down damaging the rope then leaking air.  :'(He did not physically look at my stove....  Then make the stove slightly higher on the right side to produce the same thing to keep creosote from getting to that right corner.  I have since jacked the stove up and accomplished this task, and replaced the rope waiting on it to cure.

I also noticed that the Creosote is running down and has eaten away at my opening thickness because of this problem.  My dealer said I might need to run a weld bead down the front then grind out smooth.  Wow after 3 years and every year having issues my stove will never make 25 years lol.  The book said to have the stove level.

The stove has sunk and settled some since the last time I did this rope replacement in april 2013 rope hard due to creosote and this door issue.  My fault for not keeping it level.

He also said that my door should not swing by itself and mine did due to leaning forward.  It does not now.  I also cleaned the damper and rest of the door area while stove is out all in good order.

All of this is suppose to let the door close correctly and seal the rope without further problems.....The bottom is still out some. 

I cant put the pictures on here?  I have photos in album but cant seem to post them?

They also said that the door would crack before it would warp ::)

I'll take more pictures and update tomorrow before lighting thanks again for all the information and response it truly has helped.

JAGIII

JAG III

Dave Shepard

If you have photos in the album, click on the photo you want to put in the post, then scroll down a ways under the photo, and you will find a button that says "Add photo to post?" That will put the code for that photo in your post window.

JAGIII

Thanks Dave trying to get it going now.

JAG III

Dave Shepard

Looks like you have only one roller on the side. Mine has a roller on the top and bottom. It looks like the casting on the door is thinner at the bottom.

petefrom bearswamp

Right Dave.
how about laying a straight edge in the inside of the door.
With the gap shown it should be obvious if it is indeed warped or mis cast.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ford_man

My OWB has a lifetime Warranty They have replaced it 2 times. It looks to me that it made right. I would request a new door.

Thank You Sponsors!