iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Nice little Job for Lethal Lu & Your First pics of Me Sawing with the 10-30

Started by Meadows Miller, July 02, 2011, 11:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

Gday  ;)

This is a Job I did afew weeks ago (2m3) 850 bft of 2&1/2 by 3/4 battens & (4m3) 1700bft of Mixed width 2 to 10 wide by 1&1/2 thick q/sawn Mountain Ash for one order then the next job was the one I got the pics off which was for My old boss (6.4m3) 2720 bft of 6x2 Cypress pine decking along with (3.3m3) 1400bft of 6x2"x20s which where the target off just breaking down the top half of the log so he can fit them through his Kara master  ;) along with a heap of recovery sixes 3x2" 3x3" 4x3" & 4x4" for dunnage My rough guess at that would have been about (2.5 m3) 1020bft that I did not charge for Rob will just use it around the mill  ;)

so the grand total (minus the dunnage  ;) )came in 15.7m3 or 6672 bft sawn in only 16 hrs run time on the mill  ;) not a bad run seeing as the cypress was pretty bloody rough but it still made grade and on the flip side the Ash was a dream to saw apart from the tension in the long stuff  ;) so on this job I averaged (.98m3) 417bft sawn per hour  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

ah I also sawed in that time a couple of 9x9"x16's so there was an extra .48m3 or 206bft there  :) ;) :D ;D 8)

So heres some pics everyone Cypress first 

And now for some Taper sawing  ;)

docking logs was abit of a stretch for Robs 18" bar  ::) :) :D 

The Tough Hough 

some more sawing 

T

Ill put some of the Mountain Ash ones on tomorrow night   ;D I hope you all like them  ;)

4TH Generation Timbergetter

terrifictimbersllc

Impressive and I bet you got some exercise.   Was someone carrying the boards off as you sawed or did you do that too?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Meadows Miller

Dennis Dad came down with Me and tailed out on the mill for Me Mate  ;)

Tom

terrifictimbersllc

How much water do you think you used on the blade for all that milling?  And what was your weather like (temperature) while you were sawing?  You have a coat and jeans on in the pictures.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mad murdock

that is a pretty good whack of lumber there 8) 8) Pretty impressive production numbers too.  Some nice sized logs you milled.  Did you harvest the trees or did a customer bring them to your yard?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ron Scott

~Ron

Jasperfield

Thanks for the photo's. I really like to watch swingmills operate.

Looks like you live in a pretty part of the country.

WDH

It is winter in upside-down-land.  That is a real whack of lumber!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

Dennis used only about 5gal of water for the whole job and exercise was minimal  I just cruse along Mate  ;)

Tom yeah it can look like Cedar I think its American Cypress like you get in the south we have a fair bit of it growing in windbreaks on farms down here  Mate ;)

Murdock it comes up well as timber and with the logs they where just old ones Rob had lying around in the yard for upto 5 years  :) and pretty rough as far as Cypress goes we threw a fair bit of it away due to the form of the logs and rot  :( With the production when I was running Robs mill for him for 4 years starting in 2001 Dad & I use to pump out alot of cypress on his old lucas for best day we had in good logs was about 5000bft sawn from memory and we could get out two Semi loads in a wee but that was in some pretty good logs they wern't huge but had good form and no rot we also had to dock our own logs out of tree lengths that where in a stock pile :) :)

Thanks Ron  ;D the last 18 months I have only sawn about 60000bft due to the fact that I have been helping Mum and Dad get their log building business and timber frame business going Im missing sawing every day but it looks like I will be coming home in October to over 400000bft of contract sawing so I should be a happy Man again Mate  ;) ;D ;D

No problem Im glad you like them there will be some more pics going up in about 6hrs Mate I just have to go and give a mate a hand to get his OSA Master 250 forwarder going and teach him how to drive it he scared the living daylites out himself by trying to lift a 5 ton log with a machine that will only lift 2 to 3 ton at the most and almost tipped it and he dont want to drive it no more  :) :) ;) :D :D :D ;D

Yeah it a nice part of the world down there at Robs his place mainly grain and plantation pine&hardwood country is about 140 mi away from where I live  ;)

Thanks everyone

Regards Chris

Meadows Miller

Quote from: WDH on July 02, 2011, 10:08:02 PM
It is winter in upside-down-land.  That is a real whack of lumber!

That It is Mate  ;) :D :D :D ;D  0 deg starts in the mornings and piffn down rain at times  :( I think the warmest day we got was 68 0f  ;)

Ianab

"Tom yeah it can look like Cedar I think its American Cypress like you get in the south we have a fair bit of it growing in windbreaks on farms down here "

Marcocarpa (Monterey) Cypress?

It's a US species, but from Nth California and isn't really a commercial timber in it's native region. But here, and in parts of Aussie, and the UK it can grow huge, and produce some nice timber.

That's what we have growing in the old windbreaks around here anway. The ingrown bark on those big logs looks exactly the same. But when you get a good log it's great sawing, lovely smell to the wood, the wood is quite durable, and it finishes up great.

Know what you mean about the temp, started off about 0C here this morning, but a calm sunny day, so it was quite nice once the frost melted.  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Meadows Miller

Your bang on with the species there Ian  ;) in the last half of the 1800s Australia got its original seed stock from a Forester by request from Australia's first Forester what we got was mixed bag of seeds that the American forester had thought would do well in the conditions that the Aussie had informed him about in letters  ;) out of that We had the Cypress pine all the Firs,Spruce and the one We and the Kiwi's Love So Much RADIATA PINE  ;)

I have seen the original Radiata pine that was planted from that first batch off seed which is growing in the old School of Forestry plantation in Creswick Victoria its Big Tall n Strait  :) :) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Yeah its been a cold but a mild winter though here  too ;)

Regards Chris

Meadows Miller

Now for the Mountain Ash pics  ;) ;D 8) 8)

This one was alittle big for the Hough to handle  ;)

That last pic was about 30 seconds before the log got a little too much for the crane and Rob clipped the side rail of the mill   :o :o that was after we had had a discussion about weather to just unclip the rail and open the side of the mill up to slide it into place but Rob sai Nah she'll lift it over that easy  ;) :D :D ;D Like I said to Auto these things happen Mate  ;) 15 Min later We are sawing again  ;) ;D 8)

Theres A Happy Lucas Mill Owner Rite There  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

and some off the finished product and the other half of one of the four logs ready for rob to resaw on his mill  ;)

I hope you liked My little mill tour  ;) :D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ljmathias

Nice job, Chris- thanks for sharing, and almost makes me want to start wanting a Lucas.  Also looking at a flat bed with a crane on it for hauling logs, something I can't do real easy right now- wife says that would be a worthwhile investment so I won't try to start wanting one of the sidewinders yet...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

bandmiller2

Chris,I see why swing mills are popular down under, thats some big stuff to put on a bandmills back.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cutterboy

Thanks for the pics. I enjoyed that. I'd like to have a Lucas mill. I have some white and red oaks that are too big for my band mill.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Buck

Id like to see what that jewel would do to Magicmans hacknsquirt pecan he showed us a while back.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

WildDog

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thank You Sponsors!