iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

- Delimber's -

Started by BargeMonkey, March 04, 2014, 04:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Been looking around and see so many different delimbers on the market, I have a 160 barko landing loader and dont know if she has the snot for a large hydraulic delimber. Anyone have a "stripper delimber" ?  Ive seen a few with no hours for sale and wondered if it would do pulp hemlock and small hardwood firewood trees.

timberking

BargeMonkey

Quote from: timberking on March 04, 2014, 04:42:50 PM
Ever try a limbing gate?

Seen them in a few videos, never seen one in operation up here.

smwwoody

I have delimbed a lot of loblolly pine with a 160.  hemlock should delimb about the same.  it is not easy at first but once you learn how to do it you can get prety fast.  you have to pull it straight at you until it almost hits the cab then swing real quick and push it away from you.  this needs to be one smooth motion.  the 160 lacks a little swing power to do it the normal way.  if i was you i would look for a stripper or a danzco.  either a mechanical one or one that has its own power unit for the hydraulics.  i will see if i can find an old pick of my 160 with the danzco mounted on the tounge.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

You cant see it real good but here is my old 160 with the danzco up on the tounge
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

these two do a much better job  ;D
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

i think it is time for a new deck saw that same old CTR is hooked to all 3 of those loaders
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

loggah

Bargemonkey , I had a stripper ,it was the most reliable piece of equipment i owned!! one moving part. They worked good on softwood ,and on firewood sized hardwood. We used a Hood s182 loader ,this is not a big loader but it has two swing motors which is what you need swing power. you want to keep your wood fairly long so you use the weight,inertia once you get the wood moving. They work better when you are pushing the wood away from you because of the way the limbs grow. they are designed for wood under 16" diameter. heres a picture of the one i had.

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

BargeMonkey

Yeah I think the stripper is the way to go. I was looking at a deere 437C, and found this 160, with a 20ft saw and self propelled for a number we wont discuss. I put 1 set of springs in it, and 8 tires and im happy, she doesnt burn much and keeps up with my production. I cant justify big money for a processor,  im not a huge softwood guy and with a fulltime boat job its hard to watch iron sit. Ive got 18months till shes out of school and a fulltime RN again, then the toy shopping is on. If someone knows of a gently used "stripper" around if you would please let me know.

Southside

Weekends around Daquaam, Quebec we used to find a lot of strippers.   :D  Not sure how gently used they were. Sorry, just could not resist. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Southside logger on March 04, 2014, 11:23:32 PM
Weekends around Daquaam, Quebec we used to find a lot of strippers.   :D  Not sure how gently used they were. Sorry, just could not resist.

And bonus points for you sir. ;)

thecfarm

Those Strippers was made by a logger in South Paris,I think,Maine. Kinda like the Logrite company. Wanted something better and built it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggah

Sam Sessions, real nice guy , i needed some new knives and bolts one time and he wasn't going to be around ,he just left them outside his shop for me to pick up !!!hes also a stock car racer, raced at oxford plains.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

BargeMonkey

Thats what ive heard. Seen the videos, couldnt grab the last used one I saw fast enough. It even had a "ski" kit instead of wheels. I think with the addition of a large grapple Im going to be forced into a stripper and a bigger landing loader. Go big or get back on the trailer.

loggah

The grapple is real  handy when you have a delimber , grab all those limbs and take them back out the skid trail if you got a soft spot just drop them into it,works great !!

BargeMonkey

The hardest part is convincing some of the land owners around here that full tree isnt a bad way to go. Up north its almost SOP but down here there's still 50 guys with cable skidders for every semi mechanical operation. Its weird, this equipment has been successful in ME and NH for a long time, just like CTL in the lake states and we are just now seeing more of it used around here. I would like to get to the point the saws stay in the back of the truck, and 1 guy. Comp and insurance is just to much, and with my limited schedule to get wood out, thats why ive finally had to go big grapple. Will post pictures of her when I get her home here shortly.

Thank You Sponsors!