iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Stihl Saw Power vs Weight?

Started by Dixiebonsai, August 16, 2015, 07:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dixiebonsai

Hello gentleman, just curious, those of you who have operated multiple types of Stihl MS series saws.If  you had one to pick of all the MS series, your cutting up big logs at times.Your going at it all day,sometimes without many breaks, because its something you enjoy and you aint punching a clock.Which would you pick?Eyeballing MS 291,311,361, 391, that range.Is there a lot of weight/poweer difference between MS 290 and MS 390?
I love being outdoors, I love being in the woods, I love working on my firewood.  Im in good shape from a lifetime of atheletics, farm work, but  Im 52 now, dont think I could stand up to a big heavy saw all day.Sure wouldnt want to handle a Stihl 090 all day.The back and woodcutting, you know, its hard on the back.I have figured it out, a lot of it is where your holding that weight out there at an awkward position because you have to be ready to "Get the Heck out of Dodge" if something goes bad.Loading up the cut wood doesnt help either.

Fifelaker

361 out of that list. I ran a MS440 for years as my only saw, but I just bought an 026 and it gets used about 80% of the time. The 440 comes out when I need it.

celliott

If you're considering the 291 and the 391, and considering power to weight, forget the 291. They share the same chassis, but the 391 has a bigger bore, more power for the same weight.

Out of that list you gave though, I'd take the 361.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Pine Ridge

Same here, 361 out of that lineup, they are good saws.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

SawTroll

Quote from: celliott on August 16, 2015, 11:21:11 AM
If you're considering the 291 and the 391, and considering power to weight, forget the 291. They share the same chassis, but the 391 has a bigger bore, more power for the same weight.

Out of that list you gave though, I'd take the 361.

The 291 is a smaller and lighter saw than the 391 and 311 - but none of them have a decent power to weight ratio.
They also are plastic cased clamshell designs.

The 361 is a very good pro saw, maybe the best saw Stihl ever made - but discontinued in Europe and North America, for EPA etc. reasons.
Information collector.

JohnG28

The 391 is probably the most powerful of those listed, but my 361 makes me smile.  ;D IMO it's worth the extra  $ even as a firewood saw to get the pro grade constructed saw, but opinions may vary in that respect. The 361 is the 362 in modern guise however, so unless you got a dealer thats been hiding some you won't find one new. Haven't heard any complaints from the guys running 362s though.   ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

beenthere

I traded up for a 362 from my beloved 361, and am happy with it.
I hope my experience, so far, continues.
The turnaround time that my dealer had with my 361 was immediate... as a tree crew snatched it up very quick.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawTroll

Quote from: JohnG28 on August 17, 2015, 12:28:43 AM

......      Haven't heard any complaints from the guys running 362s though.   ;)

Oh yes, there have been, and still are, a lot of issues with the 362. Somehow most people keep quiet about them on some forums - but not on some others. My guess is it is about brand loyalty.... :)

Also, the 362 isn't anywhere as "likable" as the 361, sort of a fat and sedat cousin.

If it has to be a Stihl, the 362 still is by far the best current choise in the 60cc class, but there are better 60cc saws out there. None of the issues are fatal, and they have been improving the model with a better filter setup and AT (m-thronic).
Information collector.

JohnG28

I have heard a LOT more complaints on the Husky 562 than I have on the 362. I frequent more than 1 saw forum as well, and I don't see brand loyalty saving people from speaking the truth on their saws personally. JMO.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on August 17, 2015, 09:21:34 AM
Quote from: JohnG28 on August 17, 2015, 12:28:43 AM

......      Haven't heard any complaints from the guys running 362s though.   ;)

Also, the 362 isn't anywhere as "likable" as the 361, sort of a fat and sedat cousin.

Yes the new Stihl's do look "fat" with their bigger covers. But I think it's for good reason,  a lesson Husqvarna should follow.
With today's choked up EPA muffler saws heat is a major issue and more room under the covers for more air intake and heat transfer is definately needed.
I look at my 562XP and the first thing I see is it needs a larger intake grill on the rewind housing.......
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JohnG28

The 362 looks bigger due to the pre separation air injection like Husky has had on their bigger saws. Also on the 441 and (I think) 661. The 362 didn't feel any bulkier than my 361 in the hands though.

ZeroJunk

Tree Service friend of mine bought a handful of the MS362's and he thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Native Cutter

i dont have experience with every saw on the list but i own a 390, ran a 036 professionally as well as bigger stihls 044s +.  the 390 is nearly as heavy as the 044/440, the 391 pretty much is. the 441s now match the 460/461s in weight which is nuts.
anyways if a 390 or 391 feels good, buy a 440 and you'll have a TON more saw for about equal weight. if that weight is too much, than the 361 is the clear winner because you have  a whole lot of pro saw in a much lighter package.

the 390 is a good saw but that design makes a lil blockier and not as handy saw as the split case type like the 036/360/361and i find it wears on me more over the day. the 391 is  heavier yet. as for power, i cant say for sure which is better for you, your wood and bar setup.  i know the 036 i ran for that season pulled a 36" bar!!   i fell a lot of big hardwoods and fir snags with it and cut tons of brush. surpised me, i thought a 32 would be tops.  they say the 361 is even more saw. 

if i were you, id go with the 361, or step up to a 440, or step way down to a 260 size. i didnt buy the 390, my uncle gave it to me to fix up. too much weight for the power level with 25". ima toss a long 32" bar on it and see if it pulls it. just for fun :)   

ps theres a used 362 here on CL for 250 if anyone is looking.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: Dixiebonsai on August 16, 2015, 07:41:10 AM
Hello gentleman, just curious, those of you who have operated multiple types of Stihl MS series saws.If  you had one to pick of all the MS series, your cutting up big logs at times.Your going at it all day,sometimes without many breaks, because its something you enjoy and you aint punching a clock.Which would you pick?Eyeballing MS 291,311,361, 391, that range.Is there a lot of weight/poweer difference between MS 290 and MS 390?
I love being outdoors, I love being in the woods, I love working on my firewood.  Im in good shape from a lifetime of atheletics, farm work, but  Im 52 now, dont think I could stand up to a big heavy saw all day.Sure wouldnt want to handle a Stihl 090 all day.The back and woodcutting, you know, its hard on the back.I have figured it out, a lot of it is where your holding that weight out there at an awkward position because you have to be ready to "Get the Heck out of Dodge" if something goes bad.Loading up the cut wood doesnt help either.

Funny you should say that.
On the last trailer load of fire wood i had to cut up i had to use my 090 only because my smaller saw wouldn't run, bummer alright. Different story, heading to the same ripe old age and really felt that saw this time. Doesn't help that i also have a bung back..... :-\
Might be looking to a new saw me thinks.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

SawTroll

Quote from: JohnG28 on August 17, 2015, 09:30:50 AM
I have heard a LOT more complaints on the Husky 562 than I have on the 362. I frequent more than 1 saw forum as well, and I don't see brand loyalty saving people from speaking the truth on their saws personally. JMO.

Mainly from people who "forgot" to take a peek in the operator manual, regarding starting procedures... ;)
Information collector.

Texas-Jim

I agree with Fifelaker. The 026 in my opinion is one of if not the best Stihl mid size saw they ever made. I have several saws but i usually grab it. I do my trim work with a 240 huq, yea i know i am Stihl wrench but i like that little saw. I like the 291 but its just not my favorite, its tad heavy for power it has. I think Stihl is a great saw but i tend to stay up with pro versions. They may cost more but if want saw to last for many years, they will.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

Thank You Sponsors!