iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skunks and squirrels

Started by indiaxman1, October 14, 2010, 07:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indiaxman1

Small game reports:....the bad...skunks have moved in my front field...while getting out of truck (6:00 am) at end of road...two striped critters stood between me and garbage cans...didn't empty truck that morning...next day...got home late...holler smelled....dog nailed...spent evening (had to be our anniversary!) scrubbing...any good hints out there for removing scent?  we use peroxide and baking soda mix..
The good:....great year for squirrels...big old mast crop...ten gray and fox squirrels just last week...hunting (and eating) small game is overlooked, I think, by a lot of hunters...
The ugly:..me after being smacked in face by limb while on atv... ::)

sandhills

The night before our wedding (Sept. 3) my wife pulled into the driveway with my daughters in the car to see Zodie our white pyranese dog struttin through the yard violently shaking a skunk in her mouth.  She got Zodie to drop it, couldn't get the kids out of the car, and by the time I got the gun and got out there the skunk was all nestled up to our landlords stock trailer tire.  Why it never sprayed the dog is beyond me just thought it was kinda funny that it happened to you on your aniversary and we almost went to our wedding smelling like your dog.  I've heard myths about tomato juice getting the smell out but never had first hand experience thankfully. :)

SwampDonkey

I get along with the skunks, but every once in awhile I have to clear out the squirrels.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

This year was terrible around here for skunks. I "disposed" of 12 of the smelly suckers from around the farm here this summer. Hope to not see another one for a couple of years now.

Piston

Last year after a great day on the lake with the wife and dogs, we got back to the house, got all cleaned up, showered, cooked some dinner on the grill, relaxin drinking a beer and decided to let the dog out one more time.  Sure enough I heard some commotion up near the barn and the dog came running back to me, YUP, sprayed by a skunk.  I could smell it immediately, the night air was as still as could be and that skunk smell lingered there for hours!  Even the house stunk of skunk! 
I used the baking soda/peroxide/soap trick too.  After 3 baths he really didn't smell too bad, that trick works really well.

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Burlkraft

Our neighbor's dog came home shakin' a dead skunk 2 days ago.
He got him in our woods and dragged him home to Dave  :D  :D  :D

Peroxide and bakin' soda and soap for 2 days and Rascal still smells pretty bad  ::)  ::)

The skunk was huge and was a beauty too. If it didn't smell so bad I wudda made Jill sumpthin' out of it 

My Grandfather told me of trappin' coon and havin' to remove a skunk from a trap just before school  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Piston

Oh ya, You have to wash them very recently after getting sprayed, otherwise it's darn near impossible to get that horrid smell out  :D

I'm glad it was your neighbors dog and not yours  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

SwampDonkey

Mom's uncle used to trap about 20 skunks in the yard every fall.

"March of the skunks" :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

My little guy got skunked a few years ago. I used Tomato juice seemed to work pertty good.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

thecfarm

We use the peroxide,baking soda and whatever liquid dish soap we have.The wife mixes up a coffee cup of this mix and it does wonders on Boo-Boo.One morning.,5:30,I'm going to work and he comes to say good bye to me with that smell.I open up the door and tell the wife YOUR boy needs a bath.She answers back,Why? You'll found out why.Bye,I'm going to work.  ;D He does not learn about them skunks. I've seen him just about plow the ground up from running his head on the ground.Kinda thinks it stings his eyes a bit when he gets sprayed in the face.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Warren

Hey Piston,

Nice puppy !   What's he gonna be when he grows up ?

:D :D :D

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Piston

Your right, he was 1 yr old in that pic, my wife and I got him on our honeymoon the year before that.  he just turned 3 this year.  That was his only run in with a skunk so far  8)
-Matt

submarinesailor

This week end, I FINALLY got the ground hog that was living under the deck.  Been trying to get him all summer.

Bruce

nas

Sent my oldest son out to shoot squirrels because they are chewing on my maple sap lines.  He didn't find any, but found this. 8)  He was quite proud of himself ;D

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

northwoods1

I was married to a veterinarian for 13 years and we had a full service clinic, the skunk thing was a regular occurrence but not quite as common as the porcupine thing. Most vets carry a product called SKUNK-OFF and it actually works. Nothing else in my experience will get that smell out, you might think you washed it off with tomato juice and all that other stuff but it isn't so in most cases you'll be smelling it every time the dog gets wet for weeks.
I don't have much of a skunk squirrel or rabbit problem around these parts all the *&%$ coyotes keep everything pretty well cleaned out.

SwampDonkey

nas

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Bill Gaiche

Got squirted back as a teenager in the face and all over my front side. That stuff also has a slight sting to it. Neighbor lady filled the bathtub and added a bunch of vinegar. If I remember right it worked pretty good. bg

Burlkraft

Wow Bill.......

That musta been bad.... :-\ :-\

Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Just like learning a stove can burn. Will only do it once, if by choice. ;D

Bill Gaiche

You got that right. Been clean of skunks ever sence. bg

RynSmith

Do we get to hear the first part of the story?   ;D

Bill Gaiche

RynSmith ,just chased a couple of skunks out from and old basement and they had enough being chased and they opened fire at me and neighbor kid. Chase was over quick. Dont know why we were chasing them the start with. bg

SwampDonkey

Skunks are usually pretty brave and turn on you quick. They know they pack a nasty stench.  ;D

RPF2509

Our dog taught us this trick to get rid of skunk smell.  Plaster affected animal with fine mud - like from a pond - let dry and the smell comes off with the mud.  Our heeler was sprayed one morning and I refused to let her come to work with me like she usually did.  When I came home she was scent free.  I asked the wife what she did to clean the dog and she said nothing but the dog disappeared shortly after I left and came home an hour later covered head to toe in black mud.  The dog stayed outside for the day and dried out.  When the mud came off so did the stink and as a bonus, the dogs fur was as shiny and fluffy as if we'd given her a bath. We figured she ran to a half dried stock pond behind the house and rolled in it trying to get the stink off.  I've tried this as well with other dogs and it worked somewhat but I don't think I used enough mud -put it on thick and get it all the way to the skin and yes wear old clothes because you will get as much mud on you as the dog

Thank You Sponsors!