iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cummins 3.9 (4bt ) Help ?

Started by David-L, February 10, 2017, 04:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Ok, got the new OEM freeze plug heater and will install on a warmish day. I am seeing a 1/2 pipe plug on a 90 in the first pic front of the motor oil filter. I want to put this valve in so as to drain coolant if I have to do this again sometime. I am sure there is coolant behind this plug and wondering if someone can confirm before I loosen it up and break the pipe dope seal. I don't see any real cold weather in the near future so may hold off till it warms up a bit. The washer hose would be handy to drain the system down without a big mess. another question would be if the coolant temp at 180 or so will be ok for this basic plumbing valve. Also have a brass cap in pic to put on the valve when done draining and the system is topped off again.Thanks.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

whitepine2

I think a boiler drain rather than that stall cock,less chance of it broken off just me two cents.

ohiowoodchuck

I'd go with a small ball valve and put a pipe plug in the other end just incase the handle would open up, you wouldn't lose your coolant. I have all kinds of trouble with them kind of valves. They don't seem to hold up very long on my outdoor wood burner. I have replaced three of them in two years with ball valves and no more issues. My temp is at 180 all the time. Sorry I do t have a apples to apples comparison.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Ed

What ohiowoodchuck said, those boiler valves are junk. Get a good full flow ball valve, you"ll be glad you did down the road.

Ed

leeroyjd

Not sure but I think you can buy a Cummins oem heater element for that plug instead of using freeze plugs , that still won't solve your drain idea.

David-L

Ya, they have a straight element that goes in that plug if you take the 90 out. The freeze plug is higher in the head so I went for that. Now I am starting to wonder if maybe the end of the cord got pinched from mashing down oak tops which have a way of sticking to tire chains. It hangs out 8" and is zip tied to the blade cylinder where the hose comes out ( somewhat protected ) Guess I will check that before I take out the old freeze plug heater. Someone suggested it in this post. Thats what I like about this forum Lots of info and ideas. advise well taken.

David-L

Tested the cord and now have a spare good cord. New element is stainless and inkinel I think. Went in with no problems. Sent her to a boiler drain ball valve
All good. Bleeding the system now.

Thank You Sponsors!