iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

35-40 Sharpening's

Started by highleadtimber16, August 10, 2013, 06:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highleadtimber16

Went to a mill about 100 miles north of me the other day. I had a look around learned and saw some different things. The thing that really blew my mind was the number of sharpening's they get per blade! 35-40! They're running DoubleHard .42 thick 1 1/4" wide on 1" rollers. They use 3-4 blades per day on each mill. (Both LT 40'S, one gas one electric) They cut the same wood as me, big red cedar. Cuts are flat and straight as can be. Anyone else running this setup?
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Sawmill Man

Well they certainly cant be grinding very heavily or the set teeth would be touching that one inch roller. Anyway that beats my 6 to 7 resharpenings per blade.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Bibbyman

We run .045 x 1.25 DoubleHard blades and get more sharpenings than practical. But we saw mosty oak and hard, dry oak at that. The .042 blades should have longer flex life than .045 and far more than .055.

I think the trick to long blade life is having the mill aligned properly, main drive belt tensioned correctly and push the saw speed to some practical limit.  And pull the blade before it is dull.

Their 40 sharpenings may have been one light pass each time. Let the blade get really dull and they may not last many over four.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

How are they keeping track of the number of sharpenings,sounds like a bit of wishfull thinking.I get quite a few sharpenings but always seem to loose track, probably around 10 or 12 they don't break just get to a point where they don't cut straight. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

highleadtimber16

The guy that sharpens my blades or used to also sharpens blades for this mill. I went up so he could show me a few tricks. We had some spare time so we went to this other mill. He said he keeps track of how many blades he sharpens for them. By the time he reaches 35-40 the blades are pretty darn narrow.The mill pressure wash's their logs which probably helps a lot also. They also use B56 belts instead of B57. The sharpener worked for the Powell River sawmill for 30 years sharpening their blades so he knows what he's doing. He grinds the blades with an old woodmizer drag grinder.
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

Peter Drouin

That's hard to believe 35 40 sharpening with the old drag one.
I don't think you could do that with the new CBN one.
but I have been only sharpening Wood mizer blades for 25+ years.
Maybe there's a new way to do it  :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

To me, the 35-40 average sharpenings seems a little far-fetched.

Seems to me that just the flexing of the band (even a .042) would crack and/or break the band way before 35-40 sharpenings!

I keep track of the sharpenings of my .045's, and average 7-8 sharpenings each.

It's easy to keep track of my sharpenings because I use a vibrating etcher and mark each blade, each time it goes on the sharpener.

I use 4 diagonal lines and 1 horizontal //// to indicate 5 sharpenings, etc.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

slider

Sounds like a bit of a stretch to me but if he is getting that many sharpnings then good for him.I'm sure with that many years experience he has it down.Why don't you encourage him to join the forum.I'm sure he would be more than welcome here.
al glenn

ladylake

I've got quite a few sharpened from 1-1/4 down to 1" , taking off 10 to 12 thousands per sharpening that would be 20 sharpening's..   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

highleadtimber16

I don't know. That's what he told me so that's all I can say.
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

hamish

35-40 doesn't seem to far fetched, its all dependant upon how the individual sharpens, and how the sawyer cuts.

A light grind is all that's needed, if you all sharpened your pocket knives like you do you bands, you'd have a hard time getting a year out of one.

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Happycamper

highleadtimber,
  I quite agree with with using the 56 belts instead of the floppy 57's ( never got used to that idea). But did they tell you how they install and remove those belts on the driven wheel???
                                Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

highleadtimber16

Jim, They said it's a b#$ch to get the belts on but it's doable. They cut them off once they run out of life. I plan on grabbing a couple tomorrow and giving them a try!
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

Magicman

As long as my sawmill manufacturer recommends B57 belts, that is what I will use.  After all, they spent the $$$ on R&D.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

slider

al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!