iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coon Dog training

Started by WV Sawmiller, December 04, 2018, 12:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Been seeing coon tracks in my mule stall so I put a live trap out last night and had a young boar coon in there this morning. I figured I'd work on Sampson's training a bit. He would bark at him fine as long as he was in the cage. I took him to the front yard to put up a tree. He jumped the tree and Sampson headed for the next county but our 17+ y/o Aussie tied up with him. Chased him into an old BBQ grill that had about rusted out. I finally got him by the tail and put him back in the tree where he remains. I guess he will come down some time today or tonight. I may trap some more and relocate a few. The hides aren't selling so no reason to bother shooting and skinning one. They aren't doing that much damage to anything I have so I won't shoot them.

Coon in a trap, Hay for the horse & Mule. Sampson on his normal  seat. Matoaka, ancient Aussie looking  on.

Sampson looking - not as enthusiastic as I'd like. He's definitely not an Alpha male when it comes to vicious animals.

Perch for the day I guess

I guess I'm safe as long as he's up in the tree but better keep my escape routes open in case he comes down.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

My wife's dog is like that.  ::) No courage. I was on the tractor and she went running up to 3 deer. They stood there and looked at her,she barked some more and they just stood there. The dog did not know what to do,so she ran back to me.  :D  I just about fell off the tractor laughing at her. But Pa Pa still loves her. 
We lost one dog. He knew what to do. He would of died for my wife. A  couple times he protected her. He use to kill wood chunks after I got them out of the stone walls. Her dog will bark when she finds them,but when they start to run,she is by my side. Was funny once,I was moving rocks around to find the wood chuck,she was on the other side of the wall. I hear her yipe and she on top of the wall. I knew the wood chuck was on the run!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

FLPINERAT

LOL..sounds like a Jerry Clowers tape :)

sawguy21

The only things my mutt does well are eat and sleep.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

I know lots of terriers are very aggressive little dogs. Jack Russell Terriers were very popular in southern Africa to kill snakes and there are some very nasty ones there. Some professional hunters even kept a pack of them to go hunt wounded leopards. They liked them better than hounds because they were so quick. Hounds would bay the leopard but the hunter could expect to lose a dog or two. Terriers tended to survive better.

Whatever ferocity was bred into the Terrier Breed was bred out in Sampson's line. The most ferocious I ever see him is when he is barking at a catfish in my boat and even then if the catfish slaps him with his tail Sampson looks like a new bow ornament on the very front of my boat in short order. He is great company and loves to ride on the 4 wheeler and in my boat. The only people who can normally touch him is me or my wife but the last time up he was all over Quinn, my 2 y/o grandson, and licked him and let him pet him. I guess Quinn is so small he does not feel threatened by him like he would by an adult. Quinn loved it and they quickly became good buddies.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Boo-Boo was part terrier,that's why he made a good wood chuck dog. He would go off hunting by himself. Than he would bark steady and Pa Pa would come to see what he had.  He thought he owned the whole hill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!