iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sitting logs - Over the winter - Should I treat?

Started by Doug_D, April 10, 2010, 03:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug_D

Hello all,
I purchased some machined logs last year to build a cabin and got a good start towards the end of last summer, but was not able to get it in the dry before winter.  I did put tarps over the logs and did my best to keep them out of the elements but now I am a little worried about bugs, termites, etc.  Is a treatment I should do before I start building with them again?  A spray or something?  They were kiln dried but obviously they have equalized over the winter.  Any suggestions or recommendations before I start back building?

The logs I did get stacked last year have discolored some.  I was planning on finishing out the stack and then pressure washing all the walls before putting the roof on. 

Any help or input would be great!

Thanks
Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

jander3

Penetreat and borax.   A little bleach and water will clean up the logs nicely.   You probably don't need to pressure wash.  Just spray on the bleach and water, let it soak a bit and than wash it off with water.

Doug_D

Thanks Jon.  Been reading your blog.  Keep up the good work. 
Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

Stephen1

As jander3 says, pressure washing is not good, leaves a fur on the wood, then you have to sand or blast. use a commercial product like penetreat, or borax and lots bleach before you put the logs together, helps cut down on the mold in the joints.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!