iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

last few days

Started by woodmills1, December 29, 2017, 06:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

I live in a heat monster.  The last few days been no higher than 9 days and as low as -9 nights.  Shut all the windows tight, new and old,  and all the storms on the old ones.  I moved all the furniture away from the air ducts and the house is back up around 65 with the furnace water at 185.  I think I am burning just under a half cord a day.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dave Shepard

Hardwood? I'm burning a quarter to a third of a cord of dry softwood slabs a day, same weather conditions.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ivan49

You may have an air bubble in yoiur heat exchanger or a ad pump. Feel both lines going into your furnace and if both are cold or cool you pump in ot pumping

TKehl

We're getting almost the same weather this weekend.   :-\

I have to switch to my better wood (Oak, Locust, and Hedge) to keep the house warm.  Fewer big rounds, more split and 6" stuff to have more surface area to burn faster. 

Are you talking a full cord or a face cord? 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Ivan49

I am in northern lower Mich and we had not had a day above 5 for the last week. Night temps are running between 0 and -15. I am burning maple fill the stove at night full next morning rake the coals down so they burn up then at noon add a couple pieces of wood until night fill up. Our house has not varied from 74 degres as that is what the thermo is set at. I run the furnace temp at 165

thecfarm

No one wants to hear that the rotten pine,fir,cedar,hemlock,maple,red oak,white and yellow birch is keeping my house as warm as I want.  ;D
Must have something wrong with the heaters. 
And no way am I burning a half cord of wood either a day.
The guy that installed my system said you can not hold onto copper at 180°,but plastic you can.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ivan49

Quote from: thecfarm on December 29, 2017, 09:08:02 PM
No one wants to hear that the rotten pine,fir,cedar,hemlock,maple,red oak,white and yellow birch is keeping my house as warm as I want.  ;D
Must have something wrong with the heaters. 
And no way am I burning a half cord of wood either a day.
The guy that installed my system said you can not hold onto copper at 180°,but plastic you can.
I had 5 acrs of Christmas trees that grew to big and most of the truncks were 8 to 12 dia. I cut them and burned them one winter some of the best wood I have burned. They were green enough that they held a fire very good

thecfarm

I went the green route.  :o Just experimenting,fir,white pine and maple. I burn less rotten wood.  ;D  Man that green wood took some wood.  :o I suppose it had to burn the moisture out of the wood to get heat??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

That's exactly what's going on. It takes 1 btu to heat 1 pound of water 1°F. Take fifty pounds of water from 0° to 212°, plus s little for phase change, and that adds up. I much prefer softwoods over hardwoods.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

OntarioAl

Me thinks you are losing heat somewhere between the stove and your house.
I am burning a mixture of green wood white birch and aspen.
I have my stove set to run between 180 and 195 (cut off) and I and I might use 1/8 of a full cord in 24 hrs.
The house is between 72 and 77 degrees
The outside temperature at night has been -35 t0-40 F
Al from the frozen north
Al Raman

Gearbox

never saw 0 today ran a 4000 lbs pickup in the shop this morning . fan never shut off until 2 30 filled the boiler 2 times . 1 wheel barrow each time . That's extreme for me . I don't know how you could even burn a face cord a day . that would be a semi load a month .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Don P

I'm burning a dozen or so dry logs per day in the woodstove. A neighbor logger was saying one or two more owb's in the neighborhood and they'll denude the county.

Ivan49

As I said I fill mine once at night and the next morning I check it and rake the coals down so they burn up over the day. At noon I may or may not add a couple pieces just to keep going and the furnace temp never goes down much. If I added  more wood in the morning I would have so many coals that I would not have much room for the night loading I figure I am burning 1 1/2 wheel barrows load a day with as cold as it has been. Mine is all maple cut last Jan and stacked in the yard all summer. I cut it to length this fall

50 Acre Jim

All I can say is WOW. That kind of wood usage takes the fun out of having an OWF.  I'm wondering if those of you burning 1/2 cord (and more) a day might be losing heat somewhere, have poor insulation or maybe both?  I'm gonna bet that your houses probably don't get much sun during the day either?   I mean darn guys, that's a bunch of wood! 

Central Boiler CL 6048
3,600 sq ft house
Icynene spray foam insulation
Strong Southern exposure

Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Dave Shepard

50 Acre Jim, I have the same boiler.  The temp right now goes between -5 and 10. I have to completely fill the firebox every 12 hours. It wouldn't be based to figure out the volume of wood I'm using.  I'm burning softwoods slabs,  which work way better than hardwood for me. When the draft opens, the slabs conned to life right away abd the temp climbs immediately. When I'm burning hardwood, the temp continues to drop until the fire rekindles, then it starts a slow climb back to temp. My house is poorly insulted. I don't have to rake the snow off the roof, it melts by itself.  :D

TKehl

I took a few hours to seal up the duct work and redo the failing insulation on the hot side of our furnace.  Have had to cut back on how much I put in the firebox.  My wife had to open some windows to cool off!   ;D 

Betting I cut usage by almost half from sealing the duct to the house.  Forced air outdoor stove, not a boiler.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: woodmills1 on December 29, 2017, 06:31:00 PM
I live in a heat monster.  The last few days been no higher than 9 days and as low as -9 nights.  Shut all the windows tight, new and old,  and all the storms on the old ones.  I moved all the furniture away from the air ducts and the house is back up around 65 with the furnace water at 185.  I think I am burning just under a half cord a day.
I gather from your post that you are using a water-to-air HX and blowing hot air into the house.  And with all the holes you have (lack of insulation, old windows, etc.) it leaks out about as fast as you pump it in.  So yes, you're gonna be feeding that dragon until the weather warms up.  Is this the first Winter you spent with the OWF? 

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 30, 2017, 10:49:17 AM
50 Acre Jim, I have the same boiler.  The temp right now goes between -5 and 10. I have to completely fill the firebox every 12 hours. It wouldn't be based to figure out the volume of wood I'm using.  I'm burning softwoods slabs,  which work way better than hardwood for me. When the draft opens, the slabs conned to life right away abd the temp climbs immediately. When I'm burning hardwood, the temp continues to drop until the fire rekindles, then it starts a slow climb back to temp. My house is poorly insulted. I don't have to rake the snow off the roof, it melts by itself.  :D
Hi Dave, I haven't had much luck with softwood.  For my application it makes too much ash and I don't get enough heat out of it.   I don't think I would have the same enthusiasm for my OWF if I had to feed it 15 cords of wood a month!  Yipes!   

TKehl

I think you are mixing me up with the OP (Woodmills1).  I don't know what stove he has, but by his tag line I'm betting he's had it 12 years or so.   ;)

Mine is an outdoor unit that doesn't use water at all.  Insulated box that circulates air over the firebox and to the house.  Simple and has worked well for us the last 3 or 4 years.   Hasn't needed any maintenance or repair beyond chimney cleaning and looks like it will need a starting capacitor for the blower.  (The insulation and sealing was done chasing the wrong part of the problem.   ::))  Can't say much though as I got it used and it's over 30 years old.  ;D

We burn about 3.5-4.5 cord in a typical winter, but that is a mix of good wood, junk wood, and sawmill waste.  Small house, but not real well insulated.

Corley5

We've been raging through wood the last couple weeks with the cold.  It's not any colder than it's ever been.  I think it's the green red oak we're burning.  It doesn't seem to dry out in the firebox like sugar maple, beech, ironwood etc. but seems to hold its moisture longer.  Maple, beech etc. is pretty well dried out and clean burning after a couple forced draft cycles.  The red oak has a smoky/steamy exhaust much longer and a longer forced draft cycle. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Peter Drouin

I like my wood stove in the house,  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

50 Acre Jim

Speaking of cold, it looks like we're expecting a low of -3 here tomorrow.  So yes, it might be time to toss a couple of logs on the fire! 

Texas Ranger

Hmm, gas logs just cut on.   ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Don P

Now there's some wood I've never seen. I bet that grain pops!

Kwill

8 degrees here now and they are talking -2 overnight with wind chills 15-20 below. I built my OWS about 4 years ago. Its forced air unit with thermostat inside the house that runs thee draft door. Its worked really good. Keep it around 70-72. With these temps I fill it about 5pm or so. Go out about 11 and top it off and its good till 8-9 am. House could use some more insulation and the furnace room could use some to. I burn mostly dry red oak and post oak along with green red oak and some dry and green black jack. If the house cools off to much I will throw a piece of cedar in. Gonna be a cold one tonight for sure.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Thank You Sponsors!