iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has Business Picked Up?

Started by 038magnum, July 19, 2012, 04:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

038magnum

Just Curious!
With the June 29th storm behind us Has portable sawmilling picked up in the areas that were hit? A lot of the trees around here were diseased or hollow inside. There were a few nice ones.

Chuck White

We had quite a storm that went through this area a couple days ago, and I expect a few new saw-jobs to come up.

Business will usually have a spurt of new jobs.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

The heat has slowed the old geezers down from being in logs to custom saw. We still have all the beam and flooring lumber we want to saw.   We've cut back because of the heat.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jim_Rogers

In my area it is somewhat steady at this time.

I have work in the yard for the next two weeks for sure.

And a road job on the 10th of next month.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

ladylake

Seems like it takes the owners of storm damaged trees quite a while to get around to milling them, I've been doing some from a storm that went through 2 years ago.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

T Welsh

I am pretty steady right now! Or a little above average. Heat is kickin my butt, but saw jobs are steady. We just got hit with a storm 3 weeks ago and I wont see any of that until the weather cools down a little, These people have day jobs that come first and a log laying around for a couple of months in the heat wont bother them one bit. I will see a burst in the fall when cooler weather comes. Tim

bugdust

Most folks in these parts are just getting out and findings lots of damage back in the mountains. I expect some will be calling soon, but I sure hope they wait until these old humid dog days of summer wind down.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Delawhere Jack

Around N.E. MD, DE and NJ, most of the trees taken out in the June 29th storm seemed to be snapped off 30 feet up. Much more so then uprooted. The one call I did get about storm trees was just the opposite, all uprooted. But they were just too large for me to handle... :'(

I'm sure there are a lot more out there, but the heat is keeping people's mind off of dealing with them.

123maxbars

Business is really good in my location/northeast TN.  Got alot of custom sawing orders to fill, and have a load of logs show up at the mill once a week to be sawed.  If it was like this all the time, I would give up the day job 8)
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

038magnum

I thought that I might have missed out.
I don't have my mill yet. And I had surgery on my foot Monday and will be in a cast untill at least the 31st of the month.
It is nice to know that when events like this happen, that it can take a while for business to pick up. I might get in on this after all. 8)

clww

We were fortunate on our property, and the adjoining property to only lose less than a dozen trees. All where cut up for firewood. Too many limbs, too crooked or hollow inside. They'll burn fine next year, though.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Gorbster

Yes.  We had a storm come through Central Ohio on June 29th.  Many people were without electric for a week!  Ironically, June 29 was my last day working at my 'day job' because I retired effective July 1.  And for the past couple of weeks I have worked harder than I have in years!  I intended to do my saw mill and lumber business part time but so far it's been nonstop.

I agree with others that if this is like past storms business will linger into the winter and beyond.  I just looked at a job to bid this morning that will be my biggest job ever if I win the bid.  It will involve me renting a crane and operator to lift some large cottonwood and sycamore trees out of creek, clean up debre, and there are some trees that need to be felled that I will need to subcontract.  Probably in the area of $20k job if I get it.  I will recover as much lumber worthy timber as I can.  All hardwood.  One cherry, a walnut or two, a couple of black locust, half a dozen large sycamore trees and several large cottonwood trees.

I am trying to provide some strom damage job site pix.

Wood-Mizer LT40 HD since 2004, Logs To Heirlooms.
Custom and consignment furniture, using YOUR tree, my saw, and my woodworking skills. The tree your grandfather planted and your kids climbed in can become your grandchild's bedroom furniture or your family kitchen table.

clww

Congratulations on your retirement! 8) I retired one month ago, too. 8) 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Hopefully, I will not saw any until ofter the Pig Roast.  :)

My YTD sawing is about average.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

My sawload remains constant,I'am as busy as I want to be,reguardless of storms.Its normal to get real busy in the fall,just when you want to get away bird hunting,as folks want to git-er done before winter.Small sheds and trailer deck are my bread and butter. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

woodhick

Got a buch of calls about  "big" Walnuts and how much are they worth?   dont think those calls will ever end.  Have got a few serious calls and one repaeat customer dropped a load of oak logs off that were down due to the storm.  Not a significant increase yet.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Robert Duval

Here in NH we haven't seen alot of road work but we have been staying busy with trailer decking and grade stakes. My dad has been killing me on the grade stakes we have about 8k out the door already this year. Then again we are still very new to this.

Thank You Sponsors!